+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Home Uniforms

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Re: New Home Uniforms

Quote Originally Posted by GatorDawg View Post
    I would expect anyone as moved by you in any issue to do adequate research before voicing your opinion. Otherwise you end up speaking out of your ass.

For example do any of the schools you cite as finding a way around the trademark sell merchandise with "Dawgs" on them? Have you cared to look up the trademark? Are you aware of action taken by Tech as a result of the trademark.

Unless you have the knowledge or the research on the issue then you are simply wasting everyone's time inciting a non issue. If you do the research then maybe you can provide a better understanding on the issue to your audience. If you care about this issue and want to be taken seriously by anyone that can make a difference then this is how you handle it. And then you might start to see the big picture and actually understand the other side. Doesn't mean you have to believe the other side is correct but it does help you understand that people are not just "bad at their jobs."
    Who says I haven't done research? You know we've discussed this before. And yes, last time we discussed this I looked at every single "Dawgs" trademark on the USPTO website. There were a lot of them, and Georgia didn't own all of them.

As far as schools who sell licensed merchandise with "Dawgs" on them... I know Washington sells it on everything. I haven't looked at the other schools and don't care to. But my argument has never been about Tech selling licensed "Dawgs" merchandise.

Am I aware of any action Tech has taken as a result of the trademark? Besides stripping "aw" and replacing it with an "o" on all communications and no longer selling merchandise with "Dawgs" on it? No. Why? Because there is no communication. There is no leadership on these issues. How are our fans supposed to "understand" the other side if they refuse to talk or acknowledge the issue? They just tried to sweep it under the rug and hope nobody would notice. You are the only one who has even tried to explain the issue to our stakeholders (and I appreciate that). This Dawgs issue the exact same as the idiotic decision to remove the white T from the football helmets to make the T invisible. Nobody will own these decisions because they knew it would be unpopular. Contrast that to the Dooley/Buskirk rebranding effort that I bought into because there was leadership and communication.

You know there's no way for me to have access to whatever knowledge you expect me or anybody else to have to discuss this issue. If you have it, feel free to share. And yes, it is an issue. On the grand scheme of things, it's on the smaller end, but it's still an issue. Why? Because our admin surrendered our southern cultural identifier to the only nickname abbreviation for Tech that I've ever known without a fight or any explanation. This would be like ULL all of a sudden changing "Geaux" to "Go" without any explanation because LSU supposedly sent them a letter.

And I don't think the people responsible are "bad at their jobs." I think this is an issue of being weak and L-A-Z-Y and surrendering our cultural identifier without a fight that can obviously be won.

The bottomline is that numerous other schools are using "Dawgs" while Tech surrendered it. In the end, that is failure on our part.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

I'm having trouble understanding how dawgs is southern when you reference Butler, Southern Illinois, and Washington as schools that use it.

FYI both Georgia and Washington share the trademark.

Merchandise rights is why you do everything. Why use something in social media that you can't print on a shirt and sell. That's rule #1. That's why they trademarked it to begin with. They don't care about using the hashtag.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GatorDawg View Post
    I'm having trouble understanding how dawgs is southern when you reference Butler, Southern Illinois, and Washington as schools that use it.

FYI both Georgia and Washington share the trademark.

Merchandise rights is why you do everything. Why use something in social media that you can't print on a shirt and sell. That's rule #1. That's why they trademarked it to begin with. They don't care about using the hashtag.
    Dawgs is southern. It's spelled that way because that's how we speak. If the term did truly originate with Georgia, isn't that kinda obvious?

Why have northern schools adopted that abbreviation? Your guess is as good as mine. Never understood it. Maybe they think it's cool. No clue.

If they don't care about us using that spelling on social media, then why the heck aren't we doing it? That even pisses me off more and makes it more idiotic if it's true that nothing is preventing us from using Dawgs or Dunkin' Dawgs on promotional material. It's not like we'd be raking in millions of dollars by putting that spelling on merchandise. Tech's royalties are next to nothing.

I'm no patent attorney, but based on what I've seen on that patent website, I see no reason why Tech wouldn't be able to claim "Dunkin' Dawgs." Nobody else but Tech has ever used it, and we started using it about 30 years ago.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    To add to that, our SID follows the stupidest style guidelines to a T (like always referring to us as El A Tech and yankee 'Dogs), yet they frequently leave off "Lady" before "Techsters" when our style guide clearly states that "Techsters" should never be used without "Lady" preceding it. Our SID chooses to selectively enforce the stupidest things.

BTW I got El A Tech'ed in conversation several times this weekend.
    My son was a TECH football player for Halloween. Every time I heard someone say El A TECH I thought of you and laughed- and it happened a lot as we went around the neighborhood.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Dooley's marketing scheme has failed. Our people insist on helping it fail even more. "LahTech" is not being spoken any more today than it was 10 years ago. It's time for new ideas.

Big Dog RGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    All they really have to do is call us by our full "Bulldogs" nickname instead of calling us abbreviated names our fans don't like.
    Believe it or not, Georgia actually owns the trademark for "Bulldogs" according to their website.

http://www.georgiadogs.com/genrel/062306aak.html

+ Reply to Thread