+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Holtz on Fletch

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Holtz on Fletch

Our local marketing are billboards (very good billbords BTW) and social media (very poor effort there). Yes, we still get the freebie in TNS.

We refuse to discount football or MBB tickets except for certain promotions. Winning will eventually grow our crowds, but when all the stars don't align we need to have a plan B. Our people have yet to even send anything out for the USM game other than the new time. It's too late to talk about HC now. Start talking USM!

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

One huge problem is there are probably 20K college football fans in our area (North Louisiana) who DESPISE Tech... because they are ULM and Northwestern fans. Too many college football teams in the state.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    One huge problem is there are probably 20K college football fans in our area (North Louisiana) who DESPISE Tech... because they are ULM and Northwestern fans. Too many college football teams in the state.
    Control the things we can control. Maddawgs points above are things we can control. These, and other things, are totally within our power to affect, and we have not done so, nor do we show any signs of that changing.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

I think we could begin to grow if we could just consistently get the Southern, ULL, and NW State crowds... 23-27K.... and 18K when it rains. The next step would be drawing more from out of the area like LSU does. What is our base right now... maybe 18K? I think a consistent winner could increase that to at least 23K. And if we ever got Boise/TCU good, I think there are a lot of football fans in our area (Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi) who would jump on the bandwagon and come to the games. We have gotten some good turnouts in our Shreveport games at times.
    I believe we have a "market" of about 50,000 in ALL of northern Louisiana that would have at least SOME MEASURE of interest in Louisiana Tech football.

By the time you factor in the casuals, the graduates of NWST, Gram, LSUS, ULM, and the mish-mash of other state school alumni, and the non-college graduate fans who are firmly in LSU's camp...and will sit on their behinds in front of the TV to watch their tiggers play...regardless of who Tech is hosting.

I think the fact that we're drawing 50-60% of the potential base REGULARLY is a good thing. it is what it is.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if we are really drawing that much. I would love to see the demographics of our typical crowd. A breakdown of where they are from and how far they traveled. I know they don't ALL live in North Louisiana. There's a bunch from Dallas, Houston, Arkansas, and Mississippi who come in 2 or 3 times a year at least. Y'all don't kill my dream... I know it's tough, but would casual LSU / Wal Mart fans ever support Tech by coming to the games if we got up around the Top 25 consistently? Maybe the Shreveport folks who probably went to Tech and go to Baton Rouge on Saturdays? I think the potential is there. North Louisiana is football country. (but also hunting country)

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Several years ago while JBIII was killing us, I knew a number NWST grads and a couple of Grambling grads that had Tech season tickets because we were truly Div 1. Also one year as a season ticket promo they gave one east side general admission season ticket for every reserved seat season ticket and through that I introduced a couple of casual fans that are still coming although not season ticket holders.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if we are really drawing that much. I would love to see the demographics of our typical crowd. A breakdown of where they are from and how far they traveled. I know they don't ALL live in North Louisiana. There's a bunch from Dallas, Houston, Arkansas, and Mississippi who come in 2 or 3 times a year at least. Y'all don't kill my dream... I know it's tough, but would casual LSU / Wal Mart fans ever support Tech by coming to the games if we got up around the Top 25 consistently? Maybe the Shreveport folks who probably went to Tech and go to Baton Rouge on Saturdays? I think the potential is there. North Louisiana is football country. (but also hunting country)
    Define "a Bunch" --- we definitely have LaTech hardcore fans in those other places (and THANK GOD for 'em!)...but truth be told, their numbers traveling regularly to Ruston games, are probably fewer than 5,000. I'd be really surprised if regular game attendees from the surrounding states were significantly more than that.

I believe we currently have a hardcore base of between 16-18K living within 2 hours radius of Ruston.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

The next step would be drawing more from out of the area like LSU does.
    I'd bet you dollars to donuts that the average Tech game features a greater percentage of out-of-town attendees than an average lsu game. I'd also submit that a greater portion of the local population attends the average Tech game than the average lsu game.

lsu's attendance represents a smaller slice of a much larger pie.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Locals are not the problem -

The problem is there are NO locals - I really don't think 90% of y'all understand the demographics of North LA along the I-20 corridor or La in general
    This. The locals ARE, by and large, already bought in.

With a great deal of promoting and marketing, I think we could raise our ceiling by an additional 10-20%, with roughly 2/3 of those coming from currently inactive alums in the S/BC metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post

With a great deal of promoting and marketing, I think we could raise our ceiling by an additional 10-20%, with roughly 2/3 of those coming from currently inactive alums in the S/BC metro.
    Not worth the cost...just pay the coaches more with that money and hope wins will do the marketing.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Not worth the cost...
    It cost nothing but time to market on social media. We must be very busy this week.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    Isabella article about Holtz interview with Fletch
    http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/spo...ston/75097872/

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Locals are not the problem -

The problem is there are NO locals - I really don't think 90% of y'all understand the demographics of North LA along the I-20 corridor or La in general

No better example is Baton Rouge when they hosted South Carolina - a top 15 team hosting a conference foe and less than 50% of the seats are filled

No people, depressed economy, fewer extra $$$ available for entertainment purposes let alone necessary expenses

I'd bet you dollars to donuts that the average Tech game features a greater percentage of out-of-town attendees than an average lsu game. I'd also submit that a greater portion of the local population attends the average Tech game than the average lsu game.

lsu's attendance represents a smaller slice of a much larger pie.
    I agree.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

I think we should market Monroe/West Monroe and Eldorado really heavy. By 2018, Arkansas will not be playing any games in LR. If you're an Arkansas fan, that just added another 3 hours to go watch them play. Of course, Monroe has the juco, but who would want to go watch those losers play. Ouachita Parish has over 150,000 people.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    I think we should market Monroe/West Monroe and Eldorado really heavy. By 2018, Arkansas will not be playing any games in LR. If you're an Arkansas fan, that just added another 3 hours to go watch them play. Of course, Monroe has the juco, but who would want to go watch those losers play. Ouachita Parish has over 150,000 people.
    That's a great point, Don. Ouachita Parish is extremely close to Ruston. There's really no reason LA Tech can't pick up an extra 5K to 8K fans --or more-- from the Monroe-West Monroe area. Tech should market that area hard.

+ Reply to Thread