+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why are we conservative in the 2nd half?

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Why are we conservative in the 2nd half?

My philosophy remains...KEEP A FOOT ON THAT NECK!

Puppy BDAWGS04 is on top of his/her gameBDAWGS04 is on top of his/her gameBDAWGS04 is on top of his/her gameBDAWGS04 is on top of his/her gameBDAWGS04 is on top of his/her gameBDAWGS04 is on top of his/her gameBDAWGS04 is on top of his/her gameBDAWGS04 is on top of his/her gameBDAWGS04 is on top of his/her gameBDAWGS04 is on top of his/her gameBDAWGS04 is on top of his/her game

I think we are searching for something to be upset about. I personally feel that if we win the game, it was successful. I do not care if we had to make a last second fg or if we were up 40 and the opponent came back and lost by 3. At the end of the year, we will all look at the W's and L's and will make judgments about the team from their win total. Not many will remember we got conservative in the second half of the Middle Tenn. game and only won by 29 pts. (45-16).

I do realize there is validity to the argument, but I would say it more so depends on our team. Last year, we put it on some teams...(Rice, UTEP, WKU come to mind), but our team was very different. Our D was above average and we were not as concerned as we have been this year with their play. I would say our D, at times, this year has been a big concern. Giving up big plays and playing bend don't break D. I believe Skip's philosophy this year has definitely changed to protect the D from blowing the game. If we went out and continued to try and sling the pig skin and ended up giving the opposing team more possessions to drive down on the field against our D, I think a lot of you would be singing a different tune.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

We are conservative in the second half because we need to stand up to the radical liberal agenda.

Puppy alex.dog is just really nicealex.dog is just really nicealex.dog is just really nicealex.dog is just really nicealex.dog is just really nicealex.dog is just really nicealex.dog is just really nicealex.dog is just really nicealex.dog is just really nicealex.dog is just really nicealex.dog is just really nice

I don't have the numbers memorized, but I know we have not lost a home game since the NSU debacle last year. our average margin of victory has to be 30 points or so. I think we drop the hammer plenty

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alex.dog View Post
    I think we drop the hammer plenty
    Could have dropped the hammer at ODU and Marshall, but played not to lose. We lost.

Had something going with the quick passes 14-0 at Miss State. Hey lets try running the ball now!

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Could have dropped the hammer at ODU and Marshall, but played not to lose. We lost.

Had something going with the quick passes 14-0 at Miss State. Hey lets try running the ball now!
    I thought he was talking about when we had big leads at the half. He doesn't go conservative every 2nd half, does he?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    I thought he was talking about when we had big leads at the half. He doesn't go conservative every 2nd half, does he?
    No way to get a pattern with him. He can't even tell you what he tries to do. It's like he gets caught up in the moment.

He did go conservative vs. NSU, ODU, and Marshall last year, but did not in all games last year.

Champ ChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond repute ChipDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckK3 View Post
    My philosophy remains...KEEP A FOOT ON THAT NECK!
    I agree. Also its not a slalom course - its a drag race! Petal to the metal until the final gun.

I used to have a Bassett Hound that I took rabbit hunting. He wasn't near as fast as a Beagle like others used, but I promise you that rabbit would run and get way ahead and then stop and wait for my slow but determined dog. And that rabbit would make a big circle and come right back and stop and get shot almost every time. By the way TECH is the rabbit in this story.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

No way to get a pattern with him. He can't even tell you what he tries to do. It's like he gets caught up in the moment.

He did go conservative vs. NSU, ODU, and Marshall last year, but did not in all games last year.
    Funny... I was just looking for a pattern and couldn't find it. Throwing out 2013.... we are 2-4 when trailing at half. The comeback wins were UTSA (down 6-10 at half) and Southern Miss (down 3-7 at half). We are 12-4 when leading at half. The ones we blew were NW State (up 13-3 at half), ODU (up 24-14 at half), Marshall (up 17-13 at half), and Kansas St (up 10-6 at half).

The only pattern I see is that we are 2-5 if the game is close at halftime (throw Miss St in there). If we are getting blown out we are not likely to come back (Oklahoma, Auburn) and if we are blowing them out, they are not likely to come back (ULL, UNT, UTEP, WKU, UAB, Rice, Illinois, Southern, FIU, ULL, UTSA, MT). The good thing is that we are usually leading comfortably at half (and only trailing badly against OU and Auburn). The bad thing is that if the game is close at halftime, we have only won 2 out of 7. But no real patterns... need more evidence I guess.

I think I found the pattern!

We are 4-7 when we score 17 or fewer points in the 1st half.
    We are 10-1 when we score more than 17 in the 1st half. (ODU is the only loss)

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

His clock management blows this theory away. Snapping the ball with 15 seconds left on the play clock is the norm for him.
    If backups are playing (which I don't know to be the case) and if the game is well in hand, maybe his thinking is to get the offense a few more snaps and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by stodgdog View Post
    If backups are playing (which I don't know to be the case) and if the game is well in hand, maybe his thinking is to get the offense a few more snaps and experience.
    Maybe, but I doubt it. You play to win the game. In the 3rd and up by 3 scores run the clock down to 5 no matter who is in the game.

Dykes got us beat against Houston by NOT doing this.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    We are conservative in the second half because we need to stand up to the radical liberal agenda.
    That is a very good one!!

Maybe, but I doubt it. You play to win the game. In the 3rd and up by 3 scores run the clock down to 5 no matter who is in the game.

Dykes got us beat against Houston by NOT doing this.
    And Franklin. That was the most painful loss that comes to mind. We were our own victims of "the system."

Other patterns.

6-7 when we score 14 or less in the 2nd half.
    8-1 when we score more than 14 in the 2nd half. (WKU was the loss)

0-6 when we score less than 27 in the game. (Oklahoma, Auburn, ODU, Marshall, Miss St, Kansas St in regulation)... ODU doesn't belong in this group.
    14-2 when scoring 27 or more in the game. (NW State and WKU were the losses). NW State doesn't belong.

So the 3 numbers to watch:

More than 17 pts in the 1st half. (we are 10-1)
    More than 14 pts in the 2nd half. (we are 8-1)
    More than 27 pts for the game. (we are 14-2)

+ Reply to Thread