+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 11/6: Mississippi College (Exh.) Game Thread

Puppy bigbradford1978 seems to have something between the earsbigbradford1978 seems to have something between the earsbigbradford1978 seems to have something between the earsbigbradford1978 seems to have something between the earsbigbradford1978 seems to have something between the earsbigbradford1978 seems to have something between the earsbigbradford1978 seems to have something between the ears

Re: 11/6: Mississippi College (Exh.) Game Thread

Well typing this for the second time tonight...

The game tonight was good and efficient - 75% good, 10% great, 15% mediocre (gave up wide open shots and too many offensive boards for MC). Moreover, the ladies played the offense and let it do the work for them.

Four quarters was hard at first... too many fouls in the first quarter alone made that period really drag out and we had both teams shooting 2 with minutes to go in the period.
    Ticky-tacky fouls... this was more so in the post I thought... Cleaver was hit hard by foul trouble in the game (more about that later). This could be tough on us this season because Wingate, Davenport, Moten, and Cleaver will have to avoid picking up fouls fighting for position on defense.

Newcomers:
    Santos & Pumroy - this duo is definitely talented and comfortable running the show. Ashely's shot is good and Brooke runs the offense well. I think these two are exactly what we were expecting and hoping for.

Cleaver - like I said she had foul trouble (4) and her rhythm suffered, but she's definitely a banger down low. Wish the girls had fed her the ball in the post better. I think she will be physical down low and wants the ball to come to her. I look for her to really add the missing piece of a POST player. She's definitely not afraid to fight for position on defense... but that's where she got the fouls. That can be cleaned up though.

LeBlanc - see why they labelled her the athlete of the team. Definitely quick to the ball with some saves and takeaways that remind me of Amanda Wilson (95-99). The question is can she find her place in the offense?

Vasquez - the surprise starter. Good defender but a couple of passes & shots were just off. But I see why the coach had her out there, she's has a leader mentality.

Kreid - very limited action tonight, which wasn't surprising for the newest addition. She looks strong and athletic. Give her time to come into the system.

Gipson - uncomfortable early. Her first appearance she went from a deer in headlights in the 2nd quarter to a scoring machine in the 4th. If she can continue to improve, she will come in handy.

Anthony - SURPRISE! This girl can play. She was comfortable with the ball and the offense didn't suffer when she took of PG. Sees the floor very well made some really good passes tonight. Plus, she's not afraid to go to the hoop with it either. Also, she and LeBlanc appear really close - when LeBlanc was shaken up on a play, Anthony left the bench to check on her... these two could be the Santos & Pumroy combo for the future.

Returners:
    Richie - limited time tonight, but still found ways to score and continues to show spunk. Moten - continues to be in the right place at the right time, but wish she had gotten stronger. Wingate - strangely, she was good (but I remember less about her game tonight than others). Davenport - continues to improve, long range shot was there, understands her role better, and will be consistent workhorse for the team.

Overall it was a fun game...

Nell Fortner was in the stands catching up with Barmore and chatting with old friends. After the game, Nell and Mickie showed up at Roma's with the stat sheet in hand with notes on them. Before we left, Tyler had shown up. Then Nell & Tyler were going over those same sheets... proof everyone wants this team to be successful and is working to make it happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if we win 25 games this year, but 22 might be closer to the end product - tonight they played like a team... which has been missing.

I realize we won't shoot 63% all the time, but this team showed tonight it knows how to score with several players able to add that spark... I could see this team being 8-3 or 9-2 going into conference play

Puppy bigbradford1978 seems to have something between the earsbigbradford1978 seems to have something between the earsbigbradford1978 seems to have something between the earsbigbradford1978 seems to have something between the earsbigbradford1978 seems to have something between the earsbigbradford1978 seems to have something between the earsbigbradford1978 seems to have something between the ears

I got scared for a minute... my account had timed out while I typed and I thought I lost it a second time... haha. Note to self, when typing a book, do so in Word first then cut and paste. haha

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the summary!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by bigbradford1978 View Post
    Well typing this for the second time tonight...

The game tonight was good and efficient - 75% good, 10% great, 15% mediocre (gave up wide open shots and too many offensive boards for MC). Moreover, the ladies played the offense and let it do the work for them.

Four quarters was hard at first... too many fouls in the first quarter alone made that period really drag out and we had both teams shooting 2 with minutes to go in the period.
    Ticky-tacky fouls... this was more so in the post I thought... Cleaver was hit hard by foul trouble in the game (more about that later). This could be tough on us this season because Wingate, Davenport, Moten, and Cleaver will have to avoid picking up fouls fighting for position on defense.

Newcomers:
    Santos & Pumroy - this duo is definitely talented and comfortable running the show. Ashely's shot is good and Brooke runs the offense well. I think these two are exactly what we were expecting and hoping for.

Cleaver - like I said she had foul trouble (4) and her rhythm suffered, but she's definitely a banger down low. Wish the girls had fed her the ball in the post better. I think she will be physical down low and wants the ball to come to her. I look for her to really add the missing piece of a POST player. She's definitely not afraid to fight for position on defense... but that's where she got the fouls. That can be cleaned up though.

LeBlanc - see why they labelled her the athlete of the team. Definitely quick to the ball with some saves and takeaways that remind me of Amanda Wilson (95-99). The question is can she find her place in the offense?

Vasquez - the surprise starter. Good defender but a couple of passes & shots were just off. But I see why the coach had her out there, she's has a leader mentality.

Kreid - very limited action tonight, which wasn't surprising for the newest addition. She looks strong and athletic. Give her time to come into the system.

Gipson - uncomfortable early. Her first appearance she went from a deer in headlights in the 2nd quarter to a scoring machine in the 4th. If she can continue to improve, she will come in handy.

Anthony - SURPRISE! This girl can play. She was comfortable with the ball and the offense didn't suffer when she took of PG. Sees the floor very well made some really good passes tonight. Plus, she's not afraid to go to the hoop with it either. Also, she and LeBlanc appear really close - when LeBlanc was shaken up on a play, Anthony left the bench to check on her... these two could be the Santos & Pumroy combo for the future.

Returners:
    Richie - limited time tonight, but still found ways to score and continues to show spunk. Moten - continues to be in the right place at the right time, but wish she had gotten stronger. Wingate - strangely, she was good (but I remember less about her game tonight than others). Davenport - continues to improve, long range shot was there, understands her role better, and will be consistent workhorse for the team.

Overall it was a fun game...

Nell Fortner was in the stands catching up with Barmore and chatting with old friends. After the game, Nell and Mickie showed up at Roma's with the stat sheet in hand with notes on them. Before we left, Tyler had shown up. Then Nell & Tyler were going over those same sheets... proof everyone wants this team to be successful and is working to make it happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if we win 25 games this year, but 22 might be closer to the end product - tonight they played like a team... which has been missing.

I realize we won't shoot 63% all the time, but this team showed tonight it knows how to score with several players able to add that spark... I could see this team being 8-3 or 9-2 going into conference play
    Awesome summary! THANK YOU so much!!!!!!!!!!

Varsity Bulldog BruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the rough

Thank you Blue Dawg for the game reports... and bigbradford1978 for the postgame wrap-up and post-postgame observations. Eager to read Tyler's impressions of the game.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quarters? Is this in effect for the regular season?

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Quarters? Is this in effect for the regular season?
    Yep, 4 - 10 minute quarters in the women's game... It's new this year.
    It's different, and I expect a lot of the early season games are going suffer.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-ba...uarters-halves

Varsity Bulldog BruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by bigbradford1978 View Post
    Ticky-tacky fouls... this was more so in the post I thought... Cleaver was hit hard by foul trouble in the game (more about that later).

There was a rule change this year on post defense: "The panel approved a new rule that allows defenders to place a forearm or an open hand with a bend in the elbow on an offensive post player with the ball whose back is to the basket."

Do you think last night's ticky-tack fouls in the post were related to this point of emphasis, with the refs trying to establish how they are going to call it? Or was Cleaver maybe not quick enough getting to the spot she wanted?

Quote Originally Posted by BruisedOrange View Post
    There was a rule change this year on post defense: "The panel approved a new rule that allows defenders to place a forearm or an open hand with a bend in the elbow on an offensive post player with the ball whose back is to the basket."

Do you think last night's ticky-tack fouls in the post were related to this point of emphasis, with the refs trying to establish how they are going to call it? Or was Cleaver maybe not quick enough getting to the spot she wanted?
    Definitely. You could tell our ladies had issues getting the correct defensive position to avoid the call. MC had some girls with wide bodies in the block, and Cleaver was trying not to get caught in a bad spot. But some were after the play, too. You could see Cleaver processing the info from the coaches as soon as it happened... she wants to understand.

Champ Beaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud of Beaver-Dog's Avatar

Would like to see a stat sheet of the game.

Champ Beaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud of Beaver-Dog's Avatar

Doesn't look like there is going to be a stat sheet on the game. Tyler said we had 18 steals. From those who were there, who appeared to be the chief thief?

+ Reply to Thread