+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LA HS Football Playoffs

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

LA HS Football Playoffs

http://highschoolsports.nola.com/new...cart_hssn-rr-1

In 5A half the Top 10 are private schools, half public schools. Been that way for about 60 years in Louisiana HS football. Yet, the pubic schools think they are at a competitive disadvantage and don't want to play for a true state championship. What really sucks is that Winnfield HS, supported by Many HS, were the ones who brought the lawsuit causing this mess. Winnfield still sucks! bunch of dumb clucks.

It really is sad. The team who wins in the Dome in 5A, and in the others, are NOT state champions. Not when you hide from many of the elite 5A teams.

Hopefully, REAL men will step up, tell all schools to put your big boy pants on, and go hit somebody on the field. Put it back the way it was.

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: LA HS Football Playoffs

I agree. Put it back like it was.

What I don't agree with is your blanket statement about hiding. Some programs seek out good competition because it prepares them for the playoffs.

Go Wreckin Rams.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

On the "hiding" comment, many public school principals voted in favor of the split. Many more accept it with a "oh well," while others, perhaps not originally in favor, now are, saying it gives their team a better chance of reaching the Dome. I'm not hearing calls from the public schools to put it back.

What is true, for all schools, that state championships are now tainted. It is not a true state championship. That's a shame and should be unacceptable to true competitors. Schools, like Acadiana, West Monroe, and so many others at the 5A level, Neville and others in 4A, etc... don't need, and I assume, don't want, this artificial "protection." This is like "everyone gets a trophy" in youth sports.

Your comment also points toward the regular season, "seeking out good competition." I'm talking about the playoffs.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Did someone say the University of West Monroe?

See you in the 'Dome!
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post

In 5A half the Top 10 are private schools, half public schools. Been that way for about 60 years in Louisiana HS football. Yet, the pubic schools think they are at a competitive disadvantage and don't want to play for a true state championship. What really sucks is that Winnfield HS, supported by Many HS, were the ones who brought the lawsuit causing this mess. Winnfield still sucks! bunch of dumb clucks.

It really is sad. The team who wins in the Dome in 5A, and in the others, are NOT state champions. Not when you hide from many of the elite 5A teams.

Hopefully, REAL men will step up, tell all schools to put your big boy pants on, and go hit somebody on the field. Put it back the way it was.
    I'm not sure what should be done to fix the situation, but if you think that Privates don't have a distinct advantage over Publics, you are completely clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by mentechsters View Post
    I'm not sure what should be done to fix the situation, but if you think that Privates don't have a distinct advantage over Publics, you are completely clueless.
    Clueless? Hardly.

But, I just point to the historic record to support my position. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but off the cuff, I'd say in the last 30-40 years more state titles have been won by public schools. I say that, even considering the Curtis factor which skews the results toward private schools. And, I am mean across all the classifications.

I will say, in 5A, that the Catholic League, of which Rummel is a member, is the toughest district, year in and year out. It's not always at the top that makes it so. It's the middle and the bottom! A team finishing in last place in that district would finish 2nd-4th, somewhere in there, in most any 5A public school district. Not every year, so don't blow a gasket. I'm talking over many years in general. But, the top team, or the top 2-3 teams, in a given year, in a public school district (speaking of 5A) is as good as it gets and has a "puncher's chance" of winning in the Dome. And to say otherwise does a tremendous disservice to those teams, the players and the coaches.

The last year the 5A playoffs were inclusive, Rummel had the honor of winning it all. We beat Quachita Parish High 23-19 and Mandeville 17-14 in two WARS to reach the Dome, where we put away a pesky Barbe in the 4th qtr to win it. I was at all three games. I didn't notice any "disadvantage" for the public school teams. They looked, and played, pretty salty!

Well, for me, I want to face the VERY best competition. To do that, requires the best of private and public schools, to meet on the field, fair and square, and decide it there.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Yessir.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Ed Daniels, the Sports Director for the ABC affiliate in New Orleans, had this take on the situation a few weeks ago.

http://clarionherald.info/clarion/in...r-another-year

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Ed Daniels, the Sports Director for the ABC affiliate in New Orleans, had this take on the situation a few weeks ago.

Good stuff. I like that the new guys is working to make things right . Henderson, like the guy before him, was weak and all about the administrators.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest problem for the public schools in all of this is the fact the quality of the Select (Private) school brackets and the fact they are a week ahead in the schedule has sucked the oxygen out of the Non-Select (Public) games.

The vast majority of media attention this week is going to big match-ups that are set for the Select bracket games, particularly in Divisions I and II, while many of the public school powers will still be rolling over low-seeded teams that should not have made the playoffs to begin with.

Then next Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, is semi-final Friday for the Select schools with a trip to the Dome on the line, while the Non-Selects will still be in the quarterfinals and still in bad match-ups. And even the good match-ups will be overshadowed by what's on the line for the Selects.

Then the following Friday is State Championship Friday for the Selects, while the Non-Selects are still in the semis. Like last year, when Jesuit beat Curtis for the Division I title, all of the focus will be on the Dome. The Non-Select semis will be an afterthought.

The biggest problem for the public schools in all of this is the fact the quality of the Select (Private) school brackets and the fact they are a week ahead in the schedule has sucked the oxygen out of the Non-Select (Public) games.

The vast majority of media attention this week is going to big match-ups that are set for the Select bracket games, particularly in Divisions I and II, while many of the public school powers will still be rolling over low-seeded teams that should not have made the playoffs to begin with.

Then next Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, is semi-final Friday for the Select schools with a trip to the Dome on the line, while the Non-Selects will still be in the quarterfinals and still in bad match-ups. And even the good match-ups will be overshadowed by what's on the line for the Selects.

Then the following Friday is State Championship Friday for the Selects, while the Non-Selects are still in the semis. Like last year, when Jesuit beat Curtis for the Division I title, all of the focus will be on the Dome. The Non-Select semis will be an afterthought.
    Sorry. You must not know how to follow the non-selects. Last week, the first round, was full of upsets. Each week will have more.

For what it's worth I could not care less about what the factories are doing in football.

I agree 100%.

It took Rummel 45 years to reach a state championship game, in 2009, where we lost in the Dome to West Monroe 30-0. We were not deterred. Then it took 3 more years to return to the Dome, where we beat Barbe 35-14 to win our first ever football state championship. For many of us, it was as special and as magical as the Saints winning the Super Bowl.

It wasn't that we hadn't been close, losing about 7 or 8 times in the state semi-finals over the years.

I can remember standing out in the cold, VERY cold, at Evangel watching the Raiders lose 39-0 in the quarterfinals. Evangel went on to the Dome, probably winning the 5A title. Many of us were talking about the so-called "football factories," I suppose looking for a reason to explain the outcome that night. Another Rummel fan, some gentleman whose son was out on the field that night, said to us, "quit griping and making excuses." He went on: Evangel's players are just kids, same age as ours. How about simply acknowledging they are better than us, and we go back, work harder, and get better ourselves. I couldn't agree more.

One more thing, I played in one of those semi-final games, in 1974. Officially we lost to Fair Park, at Indy Stadium, 7-0. In fact, we lost to the zebras.

Football factories? Unfair? Well, home town refs, plucked off the curb of Greenwood Ave....

I'd rather get beat on the field, fair and square, than suffer a travesty as we did. At least, with the former, you control your own destiny.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post

In defense of Winnfield and Many, they wouldn't have been forced to push for the playoff split had the 4A and 5A public schools -- led in part by Ruston High School -- not prevented Evangel and John Curtis from playing up, and instead forcing them to play the smaller public schools. Evangel and Curtis were beating up on the bigger public schools, so those schools said we don't want to play you anymore. Go play the 2A schools. Now that Evangel and Curtis are playing up in 5A again, we could go back to the way it was in the late '90s and early 2000s. We won't, though. It appears we're going to move to a new split based upon whether or not the schools reside in a "metro" or "rural" area.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    . It appears we're going to move to a new split based upon whether or not the schools reside in a "metro" or "rural" area.
    Interesting. More thought on how this might work please.

+ Reply to Thread