Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
Technology has made even composition much easier. But these days I suspect people have loose ideas about the composition and then back into the actual composition after lots of experimentation that is easy to do with cut, copy, paste, loop, changing patches, etc. The real creativity is in the composition and how that works with whatever is truly the human expressive bits that get worked into.

There is an increasing trend to where the artist is the producer and everything else is borrowed or sampled and/or software. In this scenario, the composition is not really a script anymore but the final product that can be distilled from the sound recording. At least this is my perception from someone that consumes modern music en masse.
With no condescension intended, the differences in our depth of knowledge on this subject probably give me an unfair advantage in our dialog. You're referring to the tools and expediency of the process. I'm referready to the form and complexity of the music itself. Explanation:

Give me five minutes and I can fully dissert Brittany Spears' entire catalog...because it is nauseatingly simplistic, in an offensive way, and it's all the same. ABABCB, rinse and repeat. The same exercise on a Brahms symphony would read like an encyclopedia. The vastness of difference between the two is as ridiculous to me as is the concept of God to you.