+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Old Testament Question

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Re: Old Testament Question

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Technology has made even composition much easier. But these days I suspect people have loose ideas about the composition and then back into the actual composition after lots of experimentation that is easy to do with cut, copy, paste, loop, changing patches, etc. The real creativity is in the composition and how that works with whatever is truly the human expressive bits that get worked into.

There is an increasing trend to where the artist is the producer and everything else is borrowed or sampled and/or software. In this scenario, the composition is not really a script anymore but the final product that can be distilled from the sound recording. At least this is my perception from someone that consumes modern music en masse.
    With no condescension intended, the differences in our depth of knowledge on this subject probably give me an unfair advantage in our dialog. You're referring to the tools and expediency of the process. I'm referready to the form and complexity of the music itself. Explanation:

Give me five minutes and I can fully dissert Brittany Spears' entire catalog...because it is nauseatingly simplistic, in an offensive way, and it's all the same. ABABCB, rinse and repeat. The same exercise on a Brahms symphony would read like an encyclopedia. The vastness of difference between the two is as ridiculous to me as is the concept of God to you.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

I guess I've killed another thread...

I'd like to sum up my thoughts.

Music has become very consumable. It has moved down the same path as the electric razor, the disposable pen, paper plates, and plastic utensils. I see religion and corporate worship in the same vein as these. Convenience supplanting quality.

My recommendations to all:

1. Instead of an email or text, acquire the skill and discipline required to hand write your next thank you note with a Pelikan Souveran M600.

2. Instead of buying $3 cartridges or forgetting to charge your razor, acquire the skill and discipline to use a double edge Merkur Futur or a Dovo straight razor...and real shaving cream...the next time you shave.

3. Whip out the fine china, silver, stemware, and linen napkins.

4. Close your eyes and listen to Debussy's Suite Bergamasque.

5. Stop paying $100 for shoes that wear out in 6 months. Buy some with Goodywear welts, take care of them, and enjoy them for 10+ years.

And finally...

Don't limit God to, or define Him by, our Christian corporate worship experience and our limited ideas and understanding of His nature. There should be no separation between religious and secular.

P.S. Be sure you are drinking good coffee.

One more thing...if you are a professional anything, and you are still wearing Hanes anything, the New World awaits you.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmDawg View Post
    With no condescension intended, the differences in our depth of knowledge on this subject probably give me an unfair advantage in our dialog. You're referring to the tools and expediency of the process. I'm referready to the form and complexity of the music itself. Explanation:

Give me five minutes and I can fully dissert Brittany Spears' entire catalog...because it is nauseatingly simplistic, in an offensive way, and it's all the same. ABABCB, rinse and repeat. The same exercise on a Brahms symphony would read like an encyclopedia. The vastness of difference between the two is as ridiculous to me as is the concept of God to you.
    Yeah, I wouldn't have made Brittney Spears the nominee for modern music. The mass consumer market is prolific with lowest common denominator microwave-and-eat music.

However, the length and form of a composition is also a crude metric to evaluate the quality of a composition. Hell, there are plenty of artists today that make incredibly complex music by length and form standards, but that doesn't make it any more worthy of praise, IMO.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

I guess I've killed another thread...

I'd like to sum up my thoughts.

Music has become very consumable. It has moved down the same path as the electric razor, the disposable pen, paper plates, and plastic utensils. I see religion and corporate worship in the same vein as these. Convenience supplanting quality.

My recommendations to all:

1. Instead of an email or text, acquire the skill and discipline required to hand write your next thank you note with a Pelikan Souveran M600.

2. Instead of buying $3 cartridges or forgetting to charge your razor, acquire the skill and discipline to use a double edge Merkur Futur or a Dovo straight razor...and real shaving cream...the next time you shave.

3. Whip out the fine china, silver, stemware, and linen napkins.

4. Close your eyes and listen to Debussy's Suite Bergamasque.

5. Stop paying $100 for shoes that wear out in 6 months. Buy some with Goodywear welts, take care of them, and enjoy them for 10+ years.

And finally...

Don't limit God to, or define Him by, our Christian corporate worship experience and our limited ideas and understanding of His nature. There should be no separation between religious and secular.

P.S. Be sure you are drinking good coffee.
    Not sure I can endorse shoes just because of their construction. And certainly leather soles can be undesirable in many circumstances.

But along with the good coffee, the same could be said about beer, wine and cocktails. Stop mixing booze with flavored soda and make a proper cocktail.

Also, I don't get the intension of many of the classic compositions. It doesn't feel honest. I prefer

the music of Lubomyr Melnyk, like his new song Rivers and Streams.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

I can't afford a Pelikan Souveran M600, but I do write my letters and signature with a good cross fountain pen and hope to get a Mont Blanc one day.

Also, I don't get the intension of many of the classic compositions. It doesn't feel honest. I prefer
    You lost me on this one...

the music of Lubomyr Melnyk, like his new song Rivers and Streams.
    So first, I'm searching for the "Like" button here. Second...and I hesitate slightly...what exactly do you interpret as the intention behind this music? What is your analysis?

You lost me on this one...

So first, I'm searching for the "Like" button here. Second...and I hesitate slightly...what exactly do you interpret as the intention behind this music? What is your analysis?
    Depends on the song, but I feel like his music conveys in an impressionistic sort of way a setting and a feeling. Kind of feels like you are watching a scene of nature while just sitting still with someone that is experiencing something significant in their life.

Depends on the song, but I feel like his music conveys in an impressionistic sort of way a setting and a feeling. Kind of feels like you are watching a scene of nature while just sitting still with someone that is experiencing something significant in their life.
    Perfect. A detailed analysis would discuss the technical methods used to create this...polyrhythms, tonal colors, etc. For me personally, I enjoy what he creates, and particularly the intricacies of how he creates it, but once it's created, it just "is". It doesn't really move. Just my taste though.

Perfect. A detailed analysis would discuss the technical methods used to create this...polyrhythms, tonal colors, etc. For me personally, I enjoy what he creates, and particularly the intricacies of how he creates it, but once it's created, it just "is". It doesn't really move. Just my taste though.
    Not planning on doing a detailed analysis on my phone but I am capable of going into greater detail about his choices of tonality and the form of rhythms influence the message I receive. But there is still a phrasing and expressivity that is a combination of underlying musical elements that communicate authenticity in the intension that is more important to me.

+ Reply to Thread