+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holtz Admits He's Guilty

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Holtz Admits He's Guilty

In this article by Sean Isabella, Skip Holtz admits that he was guilty of being too conservative on offense against UTEP. Last Saturday, LA Tech gained only 18 yards on the last 6 possessions against UTEP.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/spo...ling/76303858/

With Tech clinging to a 17-15 lead, the Bulldogs went three-and-out on back-to-back possessions. The defense came to the rescue by forcing a missed field goal and then held the Miners on a last-ditch Hailmary attempt.

The following were the six plays run:
    • Kenneth Dixon 1-yard run
    • Pass incomplete to Carlos Henderson
    • Jeff Driskel rush for no gain (he avoided a sack to get back to the line of scrimmage)
    • Dixon rush for no gain
    • Dixon minus-1-yard run
    • Dixon 3-yard run

And here's another article:

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/spo...ey=&autologin=

The total yards weren't the only anomaly for the Bulldogs. Dixon managed a season-low 39 rushing yards on 19 carries, Driskel was held to a season-low 188 passing yards and Trent Taylor turned in a season-low effort of three catches for 12 yards.

Sense a theme here? All season lows.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Holtz Admits He's Guilty

HD, I told you he did in his interview clip, post game, and you didn't believe me.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    HD, I told you he did in his interview clip, post game, and you didn't believe me.
    I never said I didn't believe you. Where did you get that?

Varsity Bulldog larhob is a glorious beacon of lightlarhob is a glorious beacon of lightlarhob is a glorious beacon of lightlarhob is a glorious beacon of lightlarhob is a glorious beacon of lightlarhob is a glorious beacon of lightlarhob is a glorious beacon of lightlarhob is a glorious beacon of lightlarhob is a glorious beacon of lightlarhob is a glorious beacon of lightlarhob is a glorious beacon of light

No way he admitted to try to run football up the middle, many times, with 9 defenders in the box! No Way!

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    In this article by Sean Isabella, Skip Holtz admits that he was guilty of being too conservative on offense against UTEP. Last Saturday, LA Tech gained only 18 yards on the last 6 possessions against UTEP.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/spo...ling/76303858/

And here's another article:

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/spo...ey=&autologin=
    here is theme I sense-- Henderson had scored twice-- duh--throw to him. Dixon is our stud and never know when he will break one. Driscal avoids sack. They ran out of time at end og game and the 4 runs birned clock and we one. The Theme I get is we are 8-3 and wind at stadium limited our production. Reminds me of when we won WAC title in Tulsa-- they missed field goals and we ground it out for title --as Al Davis says "just win baby". 8-3 and hopefully 3 to go.

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by larhob View Post
    No way he admitted to try to run football up the middle, many times, with 9 defenders in the box! No Way!
    Am I missing something here??? did we lose?? Are you familiar with concept of running out the clock?? we had wind at our back and with their fairly inept offense ( 1 td) and faith in our defense you run clock out--punt them into bad field position and get your ass out with W. we are 8-3 and all the second guessing will not change that....

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsince65 View Post
    Am I missing something here??? did we lose?? Are you familiar with concept of running out the clock?? we had wind at our back and with their fairly inept offense ( 1 td) and faith in our defense you run clock out--punt them into bad field position and get your ass out with W. we are 8-3 and all the second guessing will not change that....
    Running out the clock is far more effective when you get first downs. We should have thrown a little more in the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by larhob View Post
    he did not want you to know he was running out clock and wind at back with a good defense ... again, most good coaches with Dixon would do same thing. I would love to hear what plays you would have called-- lets see, couple of passes INTO THE WIND, incomplete and they have 40-60 seconds more on clock. Holtz showed me confidence in punter, and defense. Lord, you second guessers drive me nuts ( nuttier)

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like the philosophy of intentionally handcuffing your offense. I don't care how much your up, crazy things can happen. I remember Dykes/Franklin coming back from some apparent blowouts. Houston did it to us. I think it's playing with fire. Really wish he would reconsider. You don't have to go nuts and pass every play (like we did against Houston), but really try to put some first downs together to run that clock.

Quote Originally Posted by KSDAWG View Post
    Running out the clock is far more effective when you get first downs. We should have thrown a little more in the second half.
    I was referring to last 6 plays comment. I will accept all second guesses when we lose but seem silly when we wind. The wind was horrible and as I keep saying, when we won WAC title we won an almost identical game in Tulsa. WE WON-- stategy worked, move on

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Holtz admitted he screwed up. He should be scolded for second guessing himself.

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    I don't like the philosophy of intentionally handcuffing your offense. I don't care how much your up, crazy things can happen. I remember Dykes/Franklin coming back from some apparent blowouts. Houston did it to us. I think it's playing with fire. Really wish he would reconsider.
    et tu brute--consider the conditions, they missed a chip shot fg because of wind. We are not conservative team, wind dictated our play calling. Expect wide open battle this week . I remember the Houston game and Rice game yrs ago ( we almost gave up W in second half -we were up by 4-5 tds) and of course the AM game comeback. The Nevada game ( our second WAC) was similar. Unlike everyone else--I am not sure what I would have done as a Coach, I guarantee if Dixon does not touch ball several times and I lost their would be a lot of serious whining, not just the Usual Suspects showing their expertise ...

Why don't all you second guessers give us your play calling ideas. Try to remember the wind was blowing so hard that punts were 30 yrds longer with it and we have Kenneth Dixon as rb against a team that had problems against the run. Show us how brilliant you are, and remember, PLEASE try to remember that goal is to get a W

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't all you second guessers give us your play calling ideas.
    Bubble screen

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

et tu brute--consider the conditions, they missed a chip shot fg because of wind. We are not conservative team, wind dictated our play calling. Expect wide open battle this week . I remember the Houston game and Rice game yrs ago ( we almost gave up W in second half -we were up by 4-5 tds) and of course the AM game comeback. The Nevada game ( our second WAC) was similar. Unlike everyone else--I am not sure what I would have done as a Coach, I guarantee if Dixon does not touch ball several times and I lost their would be a lot of serious whining, not just the Usual Suspects showing their expertise ...
    I'm not specifically talking about UTEP game because I think the weather was the biggest factor in preventing us from blowing them out ... which, against that defense, would have required deep passes. But you can see Holtz starts chewing the clock when he's up a couple of scores in the 2nd half and he does say this is his philosophy. It probably works 90% of the time, but I think it's dangerous in today's college game with up tempo offenses. I guess it depends on who you are playing. UTEP didn't pose much of scoring threat, but even they almost pulled out the win.

+ Reply to Thread