+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Maybe...

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: Maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    I wasn't in favor of Holtz being hired. That said, he inherited a team that had been propped up by JUCOs (which is exactly what Monken is doing now). In year two we played for the conference title and in year three we're one win away and playing in consecutive bowl games for the first time since the 70's.

I'm displeased that we haven't won the conference. I'm disappointed that we didn't compete yesterday. All that said, Skip represents us well. Monken is a temperamental hot-head who doesn't present or represent well. I'll take Holtz over him everyday of the week and twice on Sunday...if this Sunday.
    Skip "represents us well"? What the hell does THAT mean? Is that a poor attempt at humor?

I can't believe you said that.

Do you think Todd Monken is not "representing USM well" right now? How many USM fans do you think would trade Monken straight up for Skip Holtz this morning? That's right....NONE!

Geeez people....grow up. I got news for ya: If LA Tech expects to really compete for a CUSA title in football, the Bulldogs are going to have to sign several JUCO's too. Signing a bunch of school boys with pimples on their face isn't going to get it done.

Varsity Bulldog talonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    I wasn't in favor of Holtz being hired. That said, he inherited a team that had been propped up by JUCOs (which is exactly what Monken is doing now). In year two we played for the conference title and in year three we're one win away and playing in consecutive bowl games for the first time since the 70's.

I'm displeased that we haven't won the conference. I'm disappointed that we didn't compete yesterday. All that said, Skip represents us well. Monken is a temperamental hot-head who doesn't present or represent well. I'll take Holtz over him everyday of the week and twice on Sunday...if this Sunday.
    Not sure why you think Monken is a temperamental hot-head ? Sure, he not the most likable of guys, but I have not seen that side of him in the 3 years he has been at USM. Now, as far as recruiting JUCO players, what would you have done ? At one point during the season in 2013, we were down to 57 scholarship players on the field. 57. Let that sink in. The previous coach had run many of Fedoras players off and the ones he recruited did not stay long. Monken will not win any personalty contests that's for sure, but he can recruit, evaluate talent and coach. Oh, and I have not heard of any off the field run ins with the law or any of that nonsense we had with the previous regime.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I know some of you get tired about some reminiscing, but, personal experiences is the best way to convey a message, sometimes. In Jr high our DC was "Mr. Bob." I don't know why we called him that....well, we also called him "coach", but mostly it was Mr. Bob. Anyway, we hated him. Actually, we were afraid of him. He was a mean, ornery fellow, who hated the whole world, and took it out on the world by vicariously living thru us "killing" some poor kid. The bottom line was this, our practices were 1,000X harder than the games. Hell, one Saturday, in the middle of the 3rd qtr, us up 35-0, the other team packed it in. Yes, "before one of my kids gets seriously hurt," said their coach, "we're done today." We were blitzing every play, and I don't think they had a single positive-gain play the whole game.

Point is, I have no idea what kind of "hot-head" Monken is, but football is not for the weak of heart. I can forgive Mr. Bob's faults all these years later. I know this, he made us a terror on defense, that literally scared the crap outta our opponents, such was our reputation. If Monken gets USM to achieve at a high level and if he builds that program back into a Top 25 team again, I suspect his transgressions will be forgiven too.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Skip "represents us well"? What the hell does THAT mean? Is that a poor attempt at humor?

I can't believe you said that.

Do you think Todd Monken is not "representing USM well" right now? How many USM fans do you think would trade Monken straight up for Skip Holtz this morning? That's right....NONE!
    See the story of JD choosing which school he was transferring to. Skip is a good ambassador for our university. That's what I meant. I question his coaching quite often, but he's a class guy. I'm not saying Monken isn't, just that the way he behaves on the sideline is not what I would want from a Tech coach...felt the same way about Dykes.

Quote Originally Posted by talonofdeath View Post
    Not sure why you think Monken is a temperamental hot-head ? Sure, he not the most likable of guys, but I have not seen that side of him in the 3 years he has been at USM. Now, as far as recruiting JUCO players, what would you have done ? At one point during the season in 2013, we were down to 57 scholarship players on the field. 57. Let that sink in. The previous coach had run many of Fedoras players off and the ones he recruited did not stay long. Monken will not win any personalty contests that's for sure, but he can recruit, evaluate talent and coach. Oh, and I have not heard of any off the field run ins with the law or any of that nonsense we had with the previous regime.
    See the above. It doesn't bother everybody, but it bothers me. As far as the JUCOs go, it wasn't meant to offend. Bill Snyder has been effectively using JUCOs for a long time. It can be done well. Dykes didn't do it planning to build the program, but planning to jump ship after year 3, so he didn't care what year 4 would look like. Monken may be able to make it work, but it ain't easy. Dykes wasn't even trying.

Good game. I don't mean to take anything away from USM. You guys were the better team and I think you'll give WKU a run for their money. I just think this thread is silly. Holtz has a better record and he's got us in the best position we've been in during the modern era. Suggesting that we made a mistake in hiring him instead of Monken is goofy. We had a bad day. It came at a bad time. Tech fans aren't used to playing meaningful games in late November, so we're not used to the sinking feeling you get when you blow it (which we've done for the second straight year).
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

talonofdeath has been a respectful poster here, but you don't need to apologize and ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpztPyZ5TH0

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by talonofdeath View Post
    Points well made. Remember the beginning of this thread -- maybe we should have hired Monken instead of Holtz. The post you are responding to is a defense of Holtz, not a rap on Monken. USM played a very good game and is a good team. Congrats on a well deserved win;

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

My prediction is Southern Miss will be hiring a new head coach before Tech.

Champ Woof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post
    For different reasons?

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    8-3 back to back; Monken is trying to pull a Dykes, load up on JuCos and transfers to try and jump to a P5.
    100% truth!

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post
    Again 100% truth.

+ Reply to Thread