+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Perspective

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Re: Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
    Feel free to continue to B!tch about anything and everything, but no power house or even continuously successful program is built over night. We have a history of derailing ourselves. Perspective is important though.

Back to back bowl bids for only our second time since Indy Bowls in 77 and 78. 1-1 in those bowls.

currently tied for the most wins in any back to back seasons since moving back up in '88. Holtz has (17 wins), with the possibility of one more to set the record at 18. Dykes '11 and '12 teams (17-8). If we win the bowl this year, Holtz will be (18-9).

Dykes 1 bowl game (we all know about the bowl problem that keep this from being two) was a loss to a good TCU.

Holtz with a win will have back to back bowl wins as well.

While yesterday was a swift kick to the balls for all of us die-hard fans, we are still trending in a more positive direction than at anytime in the last 25 years and currently have our most proactive president and at least an AD that while the jury is still out seems to have made solid hires in basketball (early i know), and possibly baseball.

If you guys still want to jump from the ledge, PM me first so I can give you my information, feel free to leave me anything of value in your will.
    Even as I suffered yesterday, I couldn't help but remember the thrashing that Oklahoma had put on them by a desperate but not that good Texas team. It was ugly and sure no prettier than what we watched....and they ARE a good team. Painful though!

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    Here's some perspective for you. In all of those years playing those excellent Boise State teams, they never beat us in our house like USM beat us yesterday.

2003 H BSU, 43-37 lost by 6
    2005 H BSU, 30-13 lost by 17
    2007 H BSU, 45-31 lost by 14
    2009 H BSU, 45-35 lost by 10
    2015 H USM, 58-24 lost by 34

Good grief! Seven (7) turnovers will do that to a team.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Feel free to continue to B!tch about anything and everything, but no power house or even continuously successful program is built over night. We have a history of derailing ourselves. Perspective is important though.

Back to back bowl bids for only our second time since Indy Bowls in 77 and 78. 1-1 in those bowls.

currently tied for the most wins in any back to back seasons since moving back up in '88. Holtz has (17 wins), with the possibility of one more to set the record at 18. Dykes '11 and '12 teams (17-8). If we win the bowl this year, Holtz will be (18-9).

Dykes 1 bowl game (we all know about the bowl problem that keep this from being two) was a loss to a good TCU.

While yesterday was a swift kick to the balls for all of us die-hard fans, we are still trending in a more positive direction than at anytime in the last 25 years and currently have our most proactive president and at least an AD that while the jury is still out seems to have made solid hires in basketball (early i know), and possibly baseball.

If you guys still want to jump from the ledge, PM me first so I can give you my information, feel free to leave me anything of value in your will.
    Great post!

Champ Geaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond repute

Losing to nsu was worse than Saturday for me.

It's over.......let's go bowling!!!!!

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    Here's some perspective for you. In all of those years playing those excellent Boise State teams, they never beat us in our house like USM beat us yesterday.

2003 H BSU, 43-37 lost by 6
    2005 H BSU, 30-13 lost by 17
    2007 H BSU, 45-31 lost by 14
    2009 H BSU, 45-35 lost by 10
    2015 H USM, 58-24 lost by 34

Those teams didn't QUIT. They played hard to the final whistle. The LA Tech team I watched against USM on Saturday QUIT. Those coaches and players were totally disinterested.

Champ dawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to behold dawgs1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by baw011 View Post
    Ive been pulling this info together this afternoon and this seems like good thread to share.

In an effort to gather my personal thoughts on the current state of Louisiana Tech football, I compiled some stats and educated assumptions on where we have been, where we are, and where we could be.

Tech's overall record in the last 8 seasons (2008-2015) is 55-45, .55 W-L% that includes a bowl record of 2-1. Our average SOS during this period was 95.

However, Louisiana Tech football has 9 Wins - 17 Losses (.346) in "big" games since 2008 that had the potential to advance the program.

These only include games Tech had a chance to win and had something on the line e.i. conference championship, bowl game, big home crowd, P5 opponent, TV game, ranked opponent, in-state opponent, etc. This list does NOT include power5 games we were not competitive in, games against average conference foes, or "not interesting" non-conference opponents.

In (my opinion) to the W-L over this span, there are many positive and negative milestones for La Tech football listed below. +11 program advancing milestones and -8 setbacks.

8-4 SOS 113 Home 20,977
    L Southern Miss 58-24 (CUSA west)
    L Mississippi State 45-20 (SEC)
    L Kansas State 39-33 (Big12)
    +1 $20 million DAC opens
    -1 blown out at home
    +1 win 8 games & bowl berth

9-5 SOS 75 Home 20,054
    Budget $19.2
    W Illinois 35-18 (HOD bowl)
    L Marshall 26-23 (CUSA champ)
    W Rice 76-31 (conference)
    L Northwestern 30-27 (in-state)
    W ULL 48-20 (in-state)
    -1 lose to in-state fcs team
    +1 win 9 games & CUSA west
    +1 bowl win

4-8 SOS 125 Home 18,666
    Budget $18.5
    L Army 35-16 (DFW crowd)
    L Tulane 24-15 (in-state)
    -1 losing season / lose momentum
    +1 Dr. Guice & joining CUSA

9-3 SOS 102 Home 25,841*
    Budget $18.7
    L Utah State 48-41 (chance for BCS)
    L Texas A&M 59-57 (tv game)
    W Virginia 44-38 (ACC)
    W Illinois 52-24 (Big10)
    W Houston 56-49 (regional peer)
    +1 mid season top 25
    +1 win 9 games
    -1 lose head coach
    -1 missed bowl berth

8-5 SOS 86 Home 21,518
    Budget $17.1
    L TCU 31-24 (poinsettia bowl)
    W Mississippi 27-7 (SEC)
    L Mississippi State 26-20 (int in ez)
    L Houston 35-34 (blew big lead)
    +1 bowl berth
    +1 WAC championship

5-7 SOS 69 Home 19,485
    Budget $16.5
    L Nevada 35-17 (chance to bowl)
    L Navy 37-23 (big home crowd)
    -1 lose head coach
    -1 back to back losing seasons

4-8 SOS 78 Home 20,000
    Budget $16.0
    L LSU 24-16 (lead halftime)
    L Boise State 45-35 (ranked)
    +1 video board installed
    -1 losing season

8-5 SOS 113 Home 18,020
    Budget $14.6
    W Mississippi State 22-17 (SEC)
    L Nevada 35-31 (home finally)
    W Northern Illinois 17-10 (I Bowl)
    +1 bowl win w/ good attendance

+66.1% NCAA average revenue 08-14
    +76.0% Tech revenue 08-14

$62.0 NCAA average revenue 2014
    $19.2 Tech revenue 2014

My priority list moving forward (all of these affect the others):

1) winning .500 "games of interest" (anything short doesn't grow the program). Scheduling and winning home games that our casual fans find interesting is the fastest way to build our fan base.

2) continue to increase the budget to the CUSA median of $27.8 (coaches salaries, support staff, administration, marketing, recruiting, etc)

3) major targeted campaign to increase alumni and regional support, attendance, and season tickets sales. An attendance target of the American Athletic Conference average of 29k should be our goal. This needs to include better in-game cheering, chants, defensive noise, etc.). Also, we need to continue expansion into larger regional markets (Dallas, Shreveport, Monroe, and Alexandria). Last, the culture of laissez faire alumni athletic support must change. Proving La Tech can compete consistently at the top level of college football falls on either fans or the team.

4) improve facilities and game day amenities (athletic facilities, revenue generating club seats, better tailgate environment, better concessions, in stadium retail store, etc). A "big time atmosphere" has a trickle down affect on new fans, recruits, media, etc.

5) grow enrollment to the current target of 15-18k students. The current administration is well on their way to achieving this over the next 5-6 years. Increasing Tech's national profile and attracting top students from around our region will hep reinforce game day attendance and future alumni support. Ruston's population and level of support also needs to increase.

Thank you for your hard work & thought on this issue. I would add:

1. Our athletic administration should make (better) "use of" resources already available on campus for marketing & gameday operations such as our marketing professors & students.

2. Bring all Spirit Groups into athletics with the understanding that in addition to their usual tasks that they will also play a role in marketing both on & off campus.

3. Monetizing the games (events). Tech staff/students sell & run concessions instead of volunteers that get a % of sales. Better food & drink choices that bring in more money. The sale of alcoholic beverages to those over 21 willing to partake. Fountain drinks & coke products. Wing general admission tickets (currently unsold) for $7.00 adult & $5.00 child...etc. (I stole number 3. from one of our alumni that buys season tickets, a parking pass and is an LTAC Member. He drives from Houston for every home game & attends most away games. This is dedication.

4. Indoctrination. We need to become more like aTm when it comes to getting our students involved. Not everyone is a college football, basketball or baseball fan. Some of our students work & others would rather go home on the weekend. Indoctrination is the process of inculcating ideas, attitudes, cognitive strategies or a professional methodology (see doctrine). Indoctrination is a critical component in the transfer of cultures, customs, and traditions from one generation to the next.

I think most of us would agree that it will take generations of this before we arrive at where we all want to be...but many of us got into Tech athletics this way.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Great post! I have pretty much stayed away from the football section of the board after Saturday. I had my own personal meltdown for 24 hours, but didn't want to be brought down any more by watching the melt down that was occurring on here. We are a good team this year that had a meltdown in the last two games. We were all hoping the UTEP game was our WTF game, but we continued the slide. Now we have a chance to redeem ourselves and I can bet this team is going to be up for the challenge. Can't wait for our bowl game and WIN!

Champ latech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond repute

this is the first game in a long long time that I quit watching Tech with a quarter to go. I went out and spent time with my kids.
    Tech sport should be for my entertainment purpose (no more no less). I should not invest too much emotion, energy, and time on these sport games.

Champ MiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond repute

My family KNOWS how big of a TECH fan I am and probably openly would not have given me a hard time for bailing on the Thanksgiving celebration at my house. However inwardly it was have caused ill will. I see nothing wrong with those that put TECH above all else but I am a TECH fan for entertainment purposes , love for my university, etc. I would not prefer to be a loser but would still support my Bulldogs but will rarely do so over time spent with family. I appreciate "latech" and his sentiment.

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Something has happened to this team since the beginning of the season. What we saw yesterday and at UTEP did not resemble a "team" at all. "Team" in includes the coaches. They were not coaching yesterday. He can blame lack of execution all he wants, but piss poor special teams, not enough men on the field, and lack of hustle is on the coaches.

Somebody asked me this morning if HCSH gets a bonus for timouts not called. If so, he is KILLING it with bonuses.
    I am convinced of 3 things right or wrong. 2 deal directly with the bye week. First, Holtz talked over and over and over about all this 'self scouting' they did during the bye week. I think they outsmarted themselves honestly. If things are working they work regardless if you opponent knows it's coming. Think we tried too hard to be different, break tendencies, etc.

Second, for the third year in a row we have been horrendous following bye week in terms of focus, ability to ramp back up and play with same level of intensity.

Lastly, we have really missed Diaz as play caller in every big game or when we faced a good offense. Whether it was WKU, MSU, or, usm we struggled mightily when facing decent offenses. If we blitzed 60% of played last year it had to have been down to 25% this year and not near aggressive enough early in games or on first down. Diaz was master of blitzing and creating a negative play on first down. We were the opposite this year, conservative on first and second, maybe bring 1-2 on 3rd down but too few and too predictable.

+ Reply to Thread