+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UTEP and Rice Talking to MWC

Hybrid View

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Conf Mwc Rice, UTEP being mentioned as Mountain West discusses expansion

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

Re: Rice, UTEP being mentioned as Mountain West discusses expansion

Seems like it would be a bad move for Rice unless it ups the TV contract like Boise did, but the article suggests it doesn't.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

They should of stayed put in the WAC in 2005.

Current MWC map

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

UTEP or Rice? If UTEP, they could be in the same situation that NMSU is right now. It would have been between UTEP and SJSU to get in to the MWC. Not sure how much I like those odds.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

The only thing worse than losing two teams would be replacing them.

UTEP I could get over, but it'd be a shame to lose Rice (even UTEP has their basketball program).

But if they did leave, I'd want the conference to stick with 12 teams.

Bulldog DFW-IronDawg is a jewel in the roughDFW-IronDawg is a jewel in the roughDFW-IronDawg is a jewel in the roughDFW-IronDawg is a jewel in the roughDFW-IronDawg is a jewel in the roughDFW-IronDawg is a jewel in the roughDFW-IronDawg is a jewel in the roughDFW-IronDawg is a jewel in the roughDFW-IronDawg is a jewel in the roughDFW-IronDawg is a jewel in the roughDFW-IronDawg is a jewel in the rough DFW-IronDawg's Avatar

Wichita State is looking into adding football again. I would add them and UMass. Both bring solid basketball programs and CUSA could become 2-3 bid league year in and year out.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DFW-IronDawg View Post
    Wichita State is looking into adding football again. I would add them and UMass. Both bring solid basketball programs and CUSA could become 2-3 bid league year in and year out.
    Neither of those schools would consider C-USA, nor do I think C-USA would be interested in either of them anyway. AAC? Yes.

Puppy UABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the rough UABlazin's Avatar

If they both go, don't add anyone. MT will just have to suck it up and move west with UAB.

Wichita State as a non-fb member would be okay for the AAC. From the article it seems that's what they inquired about, though I don't know that they aren't considering football.

If those two did go before UAB is operational, Conference USA may add Texas State for contractual reasons to be at 12 every season. Not sure of the contracts.

The consensus at CoogsDen seems to me that Rice absolutely should go. Which may mean my view is the outlier and that the ball may be in the MWC's court. It just seems to me like a bad move for Rice, which already has substantial profile issues to a far greater extent than TCU or UH. It seems like a sort of freak-out at being left behind and feeling the need to do something/anything. But I thought the same about TCU and the MWC certainly worked out well for them.

It seems like far from a slam dunk that they would be invited. When Boise and SDSU did what they did, it was cause for adding a rider to the TV contract. I don't think that's the case with Rice and UTEP and so it would be simply splitting the money more ways. The only thing that gives me a bit of pause on that is that there were rumors when they created the division that Boise was assured that they would ultimately end up in the western division. This seems like it could be the mechanism by which that occurs. If there was any truth to that rumor.
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by parialex View Post
    The consensus at CoogsDen seems to me that Rice absolutely should go. Which may mean my view is the outlier and that the ball may be in the MWC's court. It just seems to me like a bad move for Rice, which already has substantial profile issues to a far greater extent than TCU or UH. It seems like a sort of freak-out at being left behind and feeling the need to do something/anything. But I thought the same about TCU and the MWC certainly worked out well for them.

It seems like far from a slam dunk that they would be invited. When Boise and SDSU did what they did, it was cause for adding a rider to the TV contract. I don't think that's the case with Rice and UTEP and so it would be simply splitting the money more ways. The only thing that gives me a bit of pause on that is that there were rumors when they created the division that Boise was assured that they would ultimately end up in the western division. This seems like it could be the mechanism by which that occurs. If there was any truth to that rumor.
    Parialex,

I suspect what this is about is the MWC looking for a school to pair with BYU when the Cougars enter the MWC after being passed over by the Big 12. I think that will eventually happen. The Big 12 would become somewhat of a laughingstock if its conference stretched from Utah to West Virginia. Their expansion will be east and won't include BYU.

I still believe what you heard from David Boren earlier this year about Big 12 expansion was a reaction to what I believe is inevitable - Big 10 expansion to 16, something Jim Delaney promised NewsCorp (Fox) back in 2009 that the Big 10 would eventually get to. Boren wants the Big 12 to have its pick of schools before the Big 10 expands first and starts the merry-go-round going again. Proactive rather than reactive.

As I said, I think BYU will end up in the MWC. They may have to make a concession or two to the MWC, but I think they will. They won't want to be locked out of the G5 Access bid if they have no other options. I think they'll be paired with UTEP. Rice will eventually end up in the AAC, and I think they know that.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I could easily be for Tech stepping up conferences again to be attached to the MWC universities by going in with RICE. The MWC will get the much better deal come the next set of mergers.....i.e. to become the P6.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

We need to find a way to line up with Rice and move to the MWC. The west is our future.

East of Ruston has nothing for us....move west asap.

A quick scan of the message boards of UTEP, Rice, and MWC reveals that fans of UTEP are very supportive, Rice fans are broadly supportive, and MWC folks are more supportive of UTEP than Rice but mostly don't want to expand at all unless said expansion includes BYU and/or UH.
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

The consensus at CoogsDen seems to me that Rice absolutely should go. .
    We can certainly count on Houston fans to want what would be best for Rice, right?

(I'm with you that they ought to stay in CUSA, but I have considerable bias here).

A quick scan of the message boards of UTEP, Rice, and MWC reveals that fans of UTEP are very supportive, Rice fans are broadly supportive, and MWC folks are more supportive of UTEP than Rice but mostly don't want to expand at all unless said expansion includes BYU and/or UH.
    I'd expect UTEP fans to be for it (and CUSA fans to be generally ok with UTEP going, except the hardcore basketball folks - or cross-country fans maybe).

I like UTEP basketball being in our league, but don't want Rice to go (and don't want to be in a 13 team league). If UTEP alone went (to balance BYU for example) I'm sure we'd replace them, and that would be a shame. There isn't really a way to do it, but if we lost UTEP, the next best step for CUSA would be for one of the weaker CUSA East teams to leave and then stick with 12 teams (would never, ever happen).

+ Reply to Thread