+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: UTEP and Rice Talking to MWC

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Re: Rice, UTEP being mentioned as Mountain West discusses expansion

Need to double the endowment and quadruple the athletic budget in next 5 years.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    We will eventually have to move. I would like for us and USM to stick together, if possible. The West does seem move viable, though. It is all about perception and, let's face it, CUSA has 4 name teams - Tech, Rice, USM, and UTEP. I could throw in Marshall for good measure, actually.

MWC or AAC would be a good next move, since we are not getting into a P conference anytime soon. If you aren't moving forward, you are going backward and, as teams move out of CUSA, we would definitely be moving backwards if we stay. I like the time zone and travel of the AAC and CUSA better than MWC, though. The F-U's did nothing for our name recognition.
    Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    Need to double the endowment and quadruple the athletic budget in next 5 years.
    Yeppers!

Varsity Bulldog Docman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to all

UTEP and Rice Talking to MWC

The Houston Chronicle reports that UTEP and Rice are in talks to leave CUSA and go to the MWC. I just can't see why Rice would do this. Their travel costs would surely jump a bunch.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Re: UTEP and Rice Talking to MWC

Quote Originally Posted by Docman5 View Post
    The Houston Chronicle reports that UTEP and Rice are in talks to leave CUSA and go to the MWC. I just can't see why Rice would do this. Their travel costs would surely jump a bunch.
    Rice has lots of money.

Champ Dawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond repute Dawgonit's Avatar

UTEP makes sense. Rice is puzzling definitely. Maybe they don't want to be in the same conference with Texas schools they think they are above (UNT, UTSA) and feel they can recruit better against Houston in MWC.

Varsity Bulldog talonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to behold

I don't blame them.
    USM would have left this conference years & years ago had ANYBODY else wanted us.
    There was talk at one time of a possible MTW/CUSA merger. Never materialized. We are stuck here with no other options.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by talonofdeath View Post
    I don't blame them.
    USM would have left this conference years & years ago had ANYBODY else wanted us.
    There was talk at one time of a possible MTW/CUSA merger. Never materialized. We are stuck here with no other options.
    Some on BB&B still don't believe that rumor. But it was very true and was closer to happening then folks realize.

Varsity Bulldog talonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to behold

From a Southern Miss message board:
    We should plan to pull together a true southern based conference.
    USM
    La Tech
    ULL
    South Alabama
    UAB
    Troy
    MTSU
    Ga Southern
    WKU
    All play all in football. Round robin in hoops. Everyone plays all major sports. Leave TX and FL behind.
    Make a deal with ESPN to pioneer an over-the-top app broadcast deal which will eventually be what every conference must do when the cable bundle bubble bursts. And it will burst because cable as it is offered now is doomed. Offer it for syndication like the American network does. We have to get outside the box here.

That my friends is depressing,and it comes from a looong time supporter of the program. If UTEP & Rice leave, I say ADD NO MORE TEAMS. Don't water-down the conference anymore than it already has been. May as well drop the F-U schools in Florida while were at it. Keep Marshall,LaTech,WKU & USM as the core of the football teams (although I still feel like WKU is a 2 year flash in the pan....with only 16k present for a Conference Championship game) We need to do something since the tv rights are to be renegotiated in 2016, and it's my understanding we will not be much better off $$ wise than the sunbelt.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

USM and LaTech need to find a way into the MWC or AAC.

Your proposal is down right depressing.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by faninmonroe View Post

I thought he just copied it, but maybe it was his post.

MWC is back to the days of the WAC with no Texas presence. No way they want us. Not sure they really want UTEP.

We have many things working against us for AAC membership, with budget being near the top.

It's been said many times, but for now we don't have to outrun the bear, just the others who are being chased by the bear. We are okay until C-USA starts falling apart.

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

The CUSA goal needs to be 12.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

I get the feeling that Rice would be just as miserable in the MWC as they are CUSA. Those folks just hate it everywhere they are.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by parialex View Post
    The consensus at CoogsDen seems to me that Rice absolutely should go. .
    We can certainly count on Houston fans to want what would be best for Rice, right?

(I'm with you that they ought to stay in CUSA, but I have considerable bias here).

Quote Originally Posted by parialex View Post
    A quick scan of the message boards of UTEP, Rice, and MWC reveals that fans of UTEP are very supportive, Rice fans are broadly supportive, and MWC folks are more supportive of UTEP than Rice but mostly don't want to expand at all unless said expansion includes BYU and/or UH.
    I'd expect UTEP fans to be for it (and CUSA fans to be generally ok with UTEP going, except the hardcore basketball folks - or cross-country fans maybe).

I like UTEP basketball being in our league, but don't want Rice to go (and don't want to be in a 13 team league). If UTEP alone went (to balance BYU for example) I'm sure we'd replace them, and that would be a shame. There isn't really a way to do it, but if we lost UTEP, the next best step for CUSA would be for one of the weaker CUSA East teams to leave and then stick with 12 teams (would never, ever happen).

Big Dog DogDawg is a jewel in the roughDogDawg is a jewel in the roughDogDawg is a jewel in the roughDogDawg is a jewel in the roughDogDawg is a jewel in the roughDogDawg is a jewel in the roughDogDawg is a jewel in the roughDogDawg is a jewel in the roughDogDawg is a jewel in the roughDogDawg is a jewel in the roughDogDawg is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by KSDAWG View Post
    I get the feeling that Rice would be just as miserable in the MWC as they are CUSA. Those folks just hate it everywhere they are.
    Exactly.

My 2 cents is Houston and 1 other will move to the Big 12 before a change in the MWC....not sure what that means but will precipitate movement.

Quote Originally Posted by faninmonroe View Post

NOT my proposal, just the outlook from quite a few USM supporters.

+ Reply to Thread