+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On Confederate icons

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

On Confederate icons

So now New Orleans will be removing 4 statues of Confederate generals, including Robert E. Lee's from Lee Circle. This is part of a nationwide sweep. It has been 150 years since the end of the War of Northern Aggression, so I suppose we should be pleased that such symbols survived for so long.

But, before this history is further revised and the truth swept under the rug, let's review a few facts:

1. Robert E. Lee did not believe in slavery. In fact he immediately freed slaves he inherited from his father, "Light Horse" Harry Lee, who served with George Washington during our War of Independence. RE Lee did have slaves in his Arlington household, but they belonged to his wife Mary Custis, granddaughter of George Washington, and they came as part of her dowery. Lee asked his wife to free them, but she didn't see a reason to (a product of her time) and Lee, out of respect for the tradition of dowries, allowed it. Lee did not believe in secession either. But, when Virginia voted to leave the union, Lee felt his duty lay with his "country" as he called it, Virginia. I could go on..

2. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson was a devout, religious man who detested slavery. He, nor any member of his family, ever owned slaves. But, he was a Virginian, and he too felt his duty was to serve Virginia.

It is impossible for most people today to understand such a devotion to duty, even when you might personally disagree with the cause.

"Do your duty in all things. You can not do more. You should never wish to do less." - General Robert E. Lee

So, now that all these Confederate symbols (racist symbols, they are called) are gone, I am sure all the problems associated with the African American community will disappear too. You know, drugs, gang violence, institutional poverty perpetrated by big government..... I mean, surely, it must have been all those racist symbols that were keeping AAs down, right?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: On Confederate icons

Some thought I was nuts when I said it was just a matter of time before "Dixie" the song would be banned.

Any terms that serve as reminders to some will soon be cause for crying, "hate speech" and be cause for getting sued or maybe even arrested.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

They are Americans. They are part of our history...the people and the monuments. The monuments are reminders, not idols. Those men did the duty they were called to do. Even when a married couple has a fight, they are still married. Our country almost got divorced, but it has reconciled and we are all, past and present, still Americans.

But hey, maybe if we just eliminate stuff that offends us...even though the people depicted in those monuments aren't persecuting us...maybe we can just pretend history didn't happen. <----and that is a really dangerous thing.

As a teacher friend said to me, are we going to change what is taught about those people? Because they played a major role in who we are and what our states and country have become.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmDawg View Post

As a teacher friend said to me, are we going to change what is taught about those people? Because they played a major role in who we are and what our states and country have become.
    I'd put the character of Robert E Lee up against the two US Presidents who followed the racist Abraham Lincoln any day. These idiots like Landrieu are never about anything other than drawing attention to themselves from the other idiot sheeple.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

I am opposed to the rewriting of history to serve a certain narrative. The decision in New Orleans was a knee jerk reaction for political expediency. Its a shame and it will continue until folks stand up, which at this point in history will not happen.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    I'd put the character of Robert E Lee up against the two US Presidents who followed the racist Abraham Lincoln any day. These idiots like Landrieu are never about anything other than drawing attention to themselves from the other idiot sheeple.
    I wrote a term paper on Lee in high school. His character is such that all should aspire to. His leadership following the war, encouraging southerners to forgive and "make your sons Americans", should that be discounted? He applied for reinstatement and made an amnesty oath as an American citizen...which was essentially ignored until 1974, over 100 years after his death. While he still considered the black race to be inferior, his position on it was much less racist than the prevailing thought of his day...INCLUDING in the northern states and INCLUDING in the oval office, as you stated. When he owned slaves...as did many of our Presidents...he was doing nothing illegal. He freed his slaves. And while he did think and talk down about their race, he did state that slavery as an institution was an moral and political evil.

Robert E. Lee was a great man...one guilty of the same social and cultural atrocities as most of America in his day...much the same way we are guilty of social and cultural atrocities of our day.

Here is a list of Presidents owning slaves:

George Washington
    Thomas Jefferson
    James Madison
    James Monroe
    Andrew Jackson
    Martin Van Buren
    William Henry Harrison
    John Tyler
    James Polk
    Zachary Taylor
    James Buchanan
    Andrew Johnson
    U. S. Grant

Seven of these are Virginians...same as RE Lee.

Can we get Washington off the dollar bill?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Remember there is a modern political agenda attached to all of this as well. The commies are pushing hard for more centralization of power. The states have very little power left, the 10th Amendment, notwithstanding. But, to bury any notion of states leaving the now messed-up union, all vestiges of the last "states' rights" movement must be bastardized and lied about. They have to discredit it, link it to something it wasn't. Such stupid tactics work though because the Repubs have sold their souls too, just to maintain some of the hold on power/wealth.

The truth always has a way of finding its way to the surface, no matter how hard the liars try to bury it. So, maybe not in our lifetimes, but some time in the future, real freedom-loving Americans will rise up and take their country back.

For now, as I just had a conversation about this very thing with someone who just cancelled a family trip to New Orleans, it's a shame the good name of Robert E. Lee is soiled in this way. His character....the truth about this great American...is being buried in lies. Cowards like Mayor Lee Posey of Natchitoches, and all the others, throwing history under the bus to save their own pitiful political careers. They are not worthy enough to clean Robert E. Lee's boots.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone needs to go out and find copies of the history books they were used when we were in grade school and high school. That is the only hope for our kids to know what really happened.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Everyone needs to go out and find copies of the history books they were used when we were in grade school and high school. That is the only hope for our kids to know what really happened.
    That about sums it up!

Our kids are too busy learning about MLK and black history instead US history. It's also being taught by teachers who can't speak properly, much less offer accurate lessons. I suppose that is a racist statement since I dare question the reasoning of spending 2 months of a school year learning half truths about history taking place during two decades rather than over 250 years.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

I heard the ruling had been challenged. I doubt it will come to anything.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    I heard the ruling had been challenged. I doubt it will come to anything.
    Where did you here that?

I think a federal court signed an injunction pending a lawsuit to prevent the city from going forward, but I wasn't aware that the mayor and council had backed off.

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Our kids are too busy learning about MLK and black history instead US history. It's also being taught by teachers who can't speak properly, much less offer accurate lessons. I suppose that is a racist statement since I dare question the reasoning of spending 2 months of a school year learning half truths about history taking place during two decades rather than over 250 years.

Or learning Calligraphy by writing Arabic/Muslim chants.

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmDawg View Post
    Here is a list of Presidents owning slaves:

George Washington
    Thomas Jefferson
    James Madison
    James Monroe
    Andrew Jackson
    Martin Van Buren
    William Henry Harrison
    John Tyler
    James Polk
    Zachary Taylor
    James Buchanan
    Andrew Johnson
    U. S. Grant

Seven of these are Virginians...same as RE Lee.

Can we get Washington off the dollar bill?
    If the plan to tear down the Confederate monuments succeeds, it wouldn't shock me if Jackson Square is targeted next in New Orleans.

+ Reply to Thread