So now New Orleans will be removing 4 statues of Confederate generals, including Robert E. Lee's from Lee Circle. This is part of a nationwide sweep. It has been 150 years since the end of the War of Northern Aggression, so I suppose we should be pleased that such symbols survived for so long.

But, before this history is further revised and the truth swept under the rug, let's review a few facts:

1. Robert E. Lee did not believe in slavery. In fact he immediately freed slaves he inherited from his father, "Light Horse" Harry Lee, who served with George Washington during our War of Independence. RE Lee did have slaves in his Arlington household, but they belonged to his wife Mary Custis, granddaughter of George Washington, and they came as part of her dowery. Lee asked his wife to free them, but she didn't see a reason to (a product of her time) and Lee, out of respect for the tradition of dowries, allowed it. Lee did not believe in secession either. But, when Virginia voted to leave the union, Lee felt his duty lay with his "country" as he called it, Virginia. I could go on..

2. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson was a devout, religious man who detested slavery. He, nor any member of his family, ever owned slaves. But, he was a Virginian, and he too felt his duty was to serve Virginia.

It is impossible for most people today to understand such a devotion to duty, even when you might personally disagree with the cause.

"Do your duty in all things. You can not do more. You should never wish to do less." - General Robert E. Lee

So, now that all these Confederate symbols (racist symbols, they are called) are gone, I am sure all the problems associated with the African American community will disappear too. You know, drugs, gang violence, institutional poverty perpetrated by big government..... I mean, surely, it must have been all those racist symbols that were keeping AAs down, right?