+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Guice's Blog: Happy New Year! Building for a brighter future

Champ CutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to behold

Re: Guice's Blog: Happy New Year! Building for a brighter future

Just so the design of the new version fits in with the other buildings in the quad, please. None of this modern stuff, at least on the outside; inside doesn't matter so much.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tech77 View Post
    especially when it comes to helping basketball refs.
    five seconds!!!

Puppy loyalTechAlum is an unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    Thank you MI. I am probably in agreement with loyaltech Alum except for the internet not containing meaningful material. I believe Tech needs a modern up to date library. Does it need a copy of the Gutenburgh Bible like UT has which only a few can access or other esoteric collections which are not available. No.

Of course I understand that the library cannot scan and put everything on a web site. That would violate the copyright laws (copyright is part of my legal specialty). If access to the scanned material was limited to students (hard to verify) then a fair use exception for educational purposes would accrue. Because multi users may easily only one digital copy, the prices for such material is higher than a printed copy. It's like having a hundred copies.
    All electronic journals and books are accessed via Internet connection, however you MUST log-in if you are off-campus. Current Tech status is verified with a Tech Username and Password. Non-Tech community members would have to come into the Library to use these electronic resources because the cost of these e-resources is based on full-time enrollment figures.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by loyalTechAlum View Post
    All electronic journals and books are accessed via Internet connection, however you MUST log-in if you are off-campus. Current Tech status is verified with a Tech Username and Password. Non-Tech community members would have to come into the Library to use these electronic resources because the cost of these e-resources is based on full-time enrollment figures.
    Thanks for the info. This is what I was talking about in regard to resources and their availability. When you say off-campus does that mean the student housing has direct access? While that would be great, I don't think that would be necessary as long as you have the ability to log on.

My point is that money resources should be directed to making and keeping as much information as possible available in this manner rather than in brick and mortar buildings, unless the old building is falling down or cannot support this. I realize a certain amount must be allocated because of accreditation etc.

Puppy loyalTechAlum is an unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    Thanks for the info. This is what I was talking about in regard to resources and their availability. When you say off-campus does that mean the student housing has direct access? While that would be great, I don't think that would be necessary as long as you have the ability to log on.

My point is that money resources should be directed to making and keeping as much information as possible available in this manner rather than in brick and mortar buildings, unless the old building is falling down or cannot support this. I realize a certain amount must be allocated because of accreditation etc.
    Anyone in dorms or offices on campus can use e-resources without logging in. Journals and databases can be used by multiple users at the same time. However e-books are from another source and only 1 person at a time can use them. Good thing is all these resources can be used at any time of the day or night.

Champ ChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond repute ChipDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    There are parking garages planned.
    It's probably best to not get one's heart set on a parking structure immediately. The new dorms along California Ave seem to be slated to follow a nationwide trend of more green space and less pavement. It appears Tech will maintain one of the nation's shortest average walking times on campus, but we are certainly trending toward more walking/bicycling and less driving "on campus".

+ Reply to Thread