+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Would a Louisiana Tech-ULM football series benefit Louisiana Tech?

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Would a Louisiana Tech-ULM football series benefit Louisiana Tech?

There really is nothing in it for Tech. Maybe 1 good crowd, like always. I'm against playing, but if we are forced to (media pressure or what not) I would offer 1 game in Ruston. They would probably refuse, but that's on them. "Hey, we offered."

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

I think we should play northeast in football!

Inn-Ell-Yoo! Woo-woo-woo!

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    There really is nothing in it for Tech. Maybe 1 good crowd, like always. I'm against playing, but if we are forced to (media pressure or what not) I would offer 1 game in Ruston. They would probably refuse, but that's on them. "Hey, we offered."
    Media pressure means nothing. Political pressure is another thing. I still believe that is why we renewed the series with LaLaff. FWIW, our AD would never offer a game in Ruston only. That's the equivalent of what Dooley said that upset everybody so much and according to our AD, "That's not who we are." They still believe we didn't play in the Indy Bowl because we were afraid to play them.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

ULM is having trouble bringing their NLU alumns back into the fold. They know they need the Tech-ULM game to happen to win back their disconnected alumns.

Discontinuing the series did a lot of harm to them especially during the NLU to ULM transition.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Has this been shared with Dr. Guice?

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

#3 was so laughable I didn't even read it.

On media coverage: We would see a slight uptick in coverage from Monroe for the game. Meaningless in long term.

On attendance: playing ULM has been shown to draw some of our largest crowds. Can't really argue that. They are typically good for crowds in the high 20s at least. An uptick of 5-7k is nice, but again it's meaningless long term.

I think it would be hugely beneficial to ULM to play us home and home. They would re-energize what is left of their fanbase. They could draw a crowd in the mid to high 20s which is a significant uptick for them. Monroe media market is all they care about. Tech would probably win 9 out of 10 right now, but that one win would be enough to keep them talking for years.

I was willing to look at a series with ULM just to keep them afloat as a thorn in ULL's side. With our drubbing of ULL the last two years, their current trajectory and the impending NCAA sanctions, I don't think it is necessary to prop up ULM.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Playing devil's advocate: What if Viator comes in and turns the program around and they start winning the Sun Belt and going to bowl games every year, average 22,000 for home attendance and start winning recruiting battles against us? I say we play them at that point.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Playing devil's advocate: What if Viator comes in and turns the program around and they start winning the Sun Belt and going to bowl games every year, average 22,000 for home attendance and start winning recruiting battles against us? I say we play them at that point.
    No reason he can't win 6+ game in that crappy conference, but even when all the stars align like they did in 2012 they have no fanbase to work with. No history, no tradition, nothing.

Champ cscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post
    #3 was so laughable I didn't even read it.

On media coverage: We would see a slight uptick in coverage from Monroe for the game. Meaningless in long term.

On attendance: playing ULM has been shown to draw some of our largest crowds. Can't really argue that. They are typically good for crowds in the high 20s at least. An uptick of 5-7k is nice, but again it's meaningless long term.

I think it would be hugely beneficial to ULM to play us home and home. They would re-energize what is left of their fanbase. They could draw a crowd in the mid to high 20s which is a significant uptick for them. Monroe media market is all they care about. Tech would probably win 9 out of 10 right now, but that one win would be enough to keep them talking for years.

I was willing to look at a series with ULM just to keep them afloat as a thorn in ULL's side. With our drubbing of ULL the last two years, their current trajectory and the impending NCAA sanctions, I don't think it is necessary to prop up ULM.
    While I understand NLU has fallen from the 1980's, scheduling ULM would be a no win situation for TECH. If we had our WTH game and lost it would set back TECH 20 years or more. We are lucky the Northwest debacle did not ruin us for life. I would schedule ULM if they won the belt a few years in a row because then it would look like we were dodging them. The sunbelt is the sunbelt for a reason, its where dreams of good football die.

I would not mind if we did a series with stAte. Maybe a Ruston and Little Rock game. I know they want a shot at reversing the ass whoopin they got in NO.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

The only real, long term benefits of playing NLULM are on their side of the bottom line. They usually don't bring a significant crowd to our place especially after the first game of the series, so the larger crowd is generally us pulling in some casual fans or some of our own disconnected fans simply because its a nostalgia game. There are opponents out there that would generate the same crowd, but as demonstrated in the past and on other threads we have turned down such home games to take money games etc.....

The most damage is done when we go to their craptastic stadium and put 10,000 or more Tech fans in the seats and our money in their pockets. Then there is the chance they beat us one time, the crap talk that would come from that win would be 20x fold compared to the NSU loss. They could dine out on one victory over us for years.

On the flip side we are expected to beat them. The positive media bump from the game would be one week leading up to the game, then after the ass whipping we deliver, they wouldn't put anything in the Monroe media. A win = marginal coverage bump at best, and no help to strength of schedule. A loss = negative media coverage however long it would last, possible hurt in local recruits, and a possible loss in butts in seats for the remainder of the season. NSU loss did hurt attendance more than most realize.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Never happen. They're the worst team in the worst conference in the country. Why would a recruit with another offer want to go there?

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

If T-Mac scheduled this series with Northeast, he might as well move on over to Monroe because that is who he would be working for within the next 90 days of the announcement.

Just say , "NO"!

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Boy do we know how to beat a dead horse. Nostalgia game? I am an old timer and even went to Monroe to watch TB beat up on them in 1968. I have no desire to play them (Nor ULL or any other old GSC or Soutland foes for that matter).

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

I'm not saying we need to schedule them necessarily, but one thing that the blog leaves out is that scheduling isn't done in a vacuum. Playing NLU home and home when you can schedule Notre Dame home and home is silly. Scheduling NLU home and home when you could be playing ULL or MAC team or USA or UMASS is at least debatable. I don't think it's automatic, but I think that's the point where you at least stop dismissing it out of hand. Maybe there aren't great long-term benefits to playing ULM, but there aren't any (that we know about) to playing UMASS either. So do the disadvantages outweigh the short-term advantages (whatever they may be) in that case?

I think you could also argue about switching our FCS home games or money games for a ULM series, but I think those are shorter conversations.

All that to say, the question isn't just "should we play ULM?" it's actually should we play ULM instead of whomever we'd be playing instead. Over the last 10-15 years I think that most of the time the right call of "someone else" was made (look at our home and home series since we last played ULM, even the people that really want this series ought to be able to see that most of those were better opponents with maybe UNLV being the exception). I think our current regional conference has taken some of our better non-conference G-5 home and home options off the table.

Having said all that, you did miss at least one point under the recruiting bullet against playing ULM. Our proximity is actually an argument against playing them in that regard. Anyone we're recruiting that we'd bring in for that game would be able to come to Ruston, too. And we'd much rather recruit anyone at a home game than an away game. If we play in DFW or South Louisiana or Mississippi then we can take advantage of that, but anyone in NE Louisiana we're after we'd prefer to bring over the extra 30 miles to a home game. So there is no gain there. That's kind of the tie-breaker for those who say "what's the difference in playing ULL and ULM?" With ULM you'd get bigger crowds and more Tech fans at the road game. With ULL you get some (probably small) recruiting edge and often a (slightly) better opponent.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

So . . . added media coverage means Roy Lang would tweet about it? That'd be something.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

+ Reply to Thread