+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Sources: Conference USA TV - ESPN, CBS SN, ASN, beIN Sports, 5th TBA

Champ BuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant future BuzDawg73's Avatar

Re: Sources: Conference USA will see vastly reduced TV revenue next season

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    Well at least this old timer can stream ESPN3 to his large screen TV. It's not hard. Just run a HDMI cable from your laptop/desk top to the an HDMI input on the TV and choose that input as SOURCE. I just hope the feed is good and doesn't go stop/go wonky half the time. Also I can get CBSS on UVerse and I can't get ASN.
    Very good, but can you do it without using an HDMI cable? I bought a Smart TV so I could just send the stream to my TV. However, I haven't been able to figure out how to do it. Big sigh from an old man who doesn't know any young people.

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar

What are those championships in? Probably track and baseball and soccer or softball. I know it wouldn't increase our TV value and understand why it is decreasing but it would decrease the number of schools you split the pot with. They do far more harm than good when it comes to the sports that count the most --Football and men's basketball. I know they are good at baseball and I like baseball but no one really cares or follows college baseball. They don't bring much to the table, horrible attendance and facilities. A history of terrible football and basketball programs. If those two schools cared about athletics they would be much better given their student population, location, and potential. I was against them getting in and wouldn't be upset to see them go back to the belt. I know it more than likely won't happen but think it should be considered since the NCAA has approved championship games for conferences with less than 12 teams now.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by BuzDawg73 View Post
    Very good, but can you do it without using an HDMI cable? I bought a Smart TV so I could just send the stream to my TV. However, I haven't been able to figure out how to do it. Big sigh from an old man who doesn't know any young people.
    I don't know. My TV's are not "smart", they just have lots of connections --Several HDMI and USB, along with a coaxial, and regular antenna. You probably need a wireless router on your internet service. I assume your "smart" TV has a built in wireless receiver. Even so you will need to "set up" your TV with the router code that's on the back of the router so you will be on the wireless network. This is just a guess since I really haven't seen such a "smart" TV, but we had to set up one of our TV's to use Netflix to connect to the internet and yours should be similar. We purchased a kit and essentially it was only a wifi receiver antenna (just a little bit of a thing - I also have on one a desk top) that plugged into a USB port on the TV.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

What TV do you have (exactly)?

Champ BuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant future BuzDawg73's Avatar

Samsung 50" 4K Smart TV, and I do have WiFi.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...&skuId=4213305

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    And useless for the older generations who aren't tech savvy. They just want to know what channel number to punch in on the remote to watch Tech on TV.
    Hey now!! We are TECH savvy, just not tech savvy.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

It's just a matter of time until companies like Apple and Google start bidding on these contracts, so we should approach them first regarding our next contract. I would recommend Google, because they are trying to roll out their "Google Fiber" service and that fits pretty well into the footprint of C-USA. Click here for a map.

They already have service in San Antonio (UTSA), and they have service planned in the following cities:
    Huntsville, Alabama (about 100 miles from UAB)
    Charlotte (UNCC)
    Louisville (about 125 miles from WKU)
    Nashville (about 35 miles from MTSU)

Aside from that, C-USA is in several major markets. Miami, Dallas, Houston....

This would put Google in the markets where they need to advertise their new service, and give us a good broadcast partner. They could contract out the actual production, but they would get to keep all adverting revenue (which is where the real money is) in addition to selling their own products.

Every TV and DVD/BluRay player sold today comes with Roku built in, and you can buy a remote-controlled Roku stick for about $35 if your TV doesn't already have it. It would be extremely easy for Google to create a new Roku channel specifically for C-USA sports. Better yet, they could create several channels and show every C-USA game every weekend. No TV network can guarantee that to any conference. For people who don't have Roku access, Google just happens to own YouTube, so they could create channels there and stream every game. The older generation might not know how to use Roku, but their grandkids can show them one time and they will pick it up. If not, they can easily click on a YouTube link (emailed to them by Tech Athletics prior to the game).

Currently, ESPN is using these contracts as a "loss leader," meaning they lose money but they use it to attract eyeballs, and it keeps people from cutting the cord. Even DirecTV uses NFL Sunday Ticket as a loss leader. Google is smart enough not to overpay for a loss leader, so we would probably have to accept slightly less money.

We get good coverage, Google gets a contract that allows it to market its service in the markets where it is being sold, C-USA gets the reputation as a forward thinking conference, the older generation could still watch games on an actual TV, and millennials get to steam the games on their phones. Everybody wins.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    It's just a matter of time until companies like Apple and Google start bidding on these contracts, so we should approach them first regarding our next contract. I would recommend Google, because they are trying to roll out their "Google Fiber" service and that fits pretty well into the footprint of C-USA. Click here for a map.

They already have service in San Antonio (UTSA), and they have service planned in the following cities:
    Huntsville, Alabama (about 100 miles from UAB)
    Charlotte (UNCC)
    Louisville (about 125 miles from WKU)
    Nashville (about 35 miles from MTSU)

Aside from that, C-USA is in several major markets. Miami, Dallas, Houston....

This would put Google in the markets where they need to advertise their new service, and give us a good broadcast partner. They could contract out the actual production, but they would get to keep all adverting revenue (which is where the real money is) in addition to selling their own products.

Every TV and DVD/BluRay player sold today comes with Roku built in, and you can buy a remote-controlled Roku stick for about $35 if your TV doesn't already have it. It would be extremely easy for Google to create a new Roku channel specifically for C-USA sports. Better yet, they could create several channels and show every C-USA game every weekend. No TV network can guarantee that to any conference. For people who don't have Roku access, Google just happens to own YouTube, so they could create channels there and stream every game. The older generation might not know how to use Roku, but their grandkids can show them one time and they will pick it up. If not, they can easily click on a YouTube link (emailed to them by Tech Athletics prior to the game).

Currently, ESPN is using these contracts as a "loss leader," meaning they lose money but they use it to attract eyeballs, and it keeps people from cutting the cord. Even DirecTV uses NFL Sunday Ticket as a loss leader. Google is smart enough not to overpay for a loss leader, so we would probably have to accept slightly less money.

We get good coverage, Google gets a contract that allows it to market its service in the markets where it is being sold, C-USA gets the reputation as a forward thinking conference, the older generation could still watch games on an actual TV, and millennials get to steam the games on their phones. Everybody wins.
    I agree with everything you just posted. I use Roku to access Netflix, Pandora (music), HBO Now, History channel, NFL, NBA, Showtime, hulu, and several other movie channels. And there's a bunch of channels in there that most of us have never even heard of (Amazon video, Sling TV, Acorn TV, Popcorn TV, VEVO, FXNOW, etc....) So my question is, why hasn't anyone done this with the college game. This seems so simple, and so overdue.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Samsung 50" 4K Smart TV, and I do have WiFi.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...&skuId=4213305
    Samsung's smarthub does not have the WatchESPN app, so you can't watch their online content directly through your tv. TVs also don't have flash, so you can't go to WatchESPN.com and watch through there.

You will need a device of some kind hooked up to your tv. Your best bet is either Apple TV, Xbox One, or Roku. I prefer Apple TV, but as you can see, others really like Roku. All three can still give you the wireless feel since you would not have to keep unhooking them if you didn't want to.

Thanks. Someone gave me a Chrome Cast thing. Would that work?

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

yes

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

That's what we used to hook up to Netflix.

Champ Built4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond repute Built4Speed's Avatar

That's what I use. No problems for me.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

It's not hard.
    twss

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Exception: I do not have a smart phone. My cell phone isn't just dumb, it's stupid. You can make calls on it and send and receive texts (send with difficulty) -- no camera, no data streaming. I just haven't found the need yet.
    A smartphone allows one to easily catch up on THE BB&B whilst pooping.

That alone is worth the investment.

+ Reply to Thread