+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Take Your Pick

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Take Your Pick

Due to success our team...

a) loses a head coach

b) loses assistant coaches who are part of a winning team.

Not all of the assistants we've "lost" have been due to success, but not all of the losses have been because we can't afford to pay them more. Money won't fix this.

I'll take b.

I think any head coach not named Skip Holtz would be gone with his record at LaTech.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Re: Take Your Pick

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

They are all important, but mostly the HC, OC, and DC. The position coaches are just recruiters for the most part (they also teach fundamentals).

Having Holtz as the HC and OC is a bonus, and assures our offense won't change until he leaves. Blake Baker may be here a couple of more years to prove his worth. Another good thing about having Holtz is his Rolodex is huge and coaches want to work with him. So while it sucks (for him) that he has to recruit 3 new coaches every year, we should be confident that he can continue to get adequate replacements.

So I also take B. Plus, he is gaining knowledge of how he can recruit to Tech. A new head coach (and all the assistants he would bring in) would have to learn all this stuff anew.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I believe that some of the coaches we've lost have been encouraged to move on.

Kim Dameron and Matt Moore

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember Joe Raymond's first few teams were much better than his last few teams. I think it was because his assistants were raided. (Steve Ensminger, John Thompson, Art Kaufman, Joe Robinson, etc...)

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Due to success our team...

a) loses a head coach

b) loses assistant coaches who are part of a winning team.

Not all of the assistants we've "lost" have been due to success, but not all of the losses have been because we can't afford to pay them more. Money won't fix this.

I'll take b.

I think any head coach not named Skip Holtz would be gone with his record at LaTech.
    Agreed, 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    I remember Joe Raymond's first few teams were much better than his last few teams. I think it was because his assistants were raided. (Steve Ensminger, John Thompson, Art Kaufman, Joe Robinson, etc...)
    His rolodex was probably not as full as HCSH's.

Peace did well with the transfer rule too.

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    His rolodex was probably not as full as HCSH's.

Peace did well with the transfer rule too.
    True. I bet our salary for assistants back then was ridiculous too. We were losing assistants to Southern Miss back in those days. He brought Gary Crowton here, who took us to a different level for a little while.

He brought Gary Crowton here, who took us to a different level for a little while.
    One of Dan Reneau's athletic cost cuts that we lucked up on. The next bargain hire worked well for a while, but drug out much too long.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

I hope Juluke thanks Dixon for getting him that job.

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    I hope Juluke thanks Dixon for getting him that job.
    I like JJ and the attitude he brought to Tech. Think he bonded well with team and Dixon had great things to say about JJ But you are absolutely correct . Going from 80ks to 200ks in 3 yrs was all about KD. I posted before he will not like Lubbock and the "family" attitude of Holtz and Ruston will not be there-- had nephew play 5 yrs at TT

So y'all are serious about thinking Dixon's success is what got him the job at TT?

I don't. They lost their Louisiana recruiter (Kevin Curtis) and needed a replacement. But his bio will say he coached Dixon up.

his bio will say he coached Dixon up.
    Whatever... He didn't even put his 2nd best RB on the field after he got healthy. He was all about honoring promises to his guys and walk on RBs from DFW who had proven their talent were disposable.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

I prefer Assistant's or Coordinators vs. Head Coach, especially since Holtz has such strong connections and reputation. If this was Dooley or Dykes I would be more worried.

+ Reply to Thread