+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Edwards administration notifies LA universities of potential cuts of $131 million

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Edwards administration notifies LA universities of potential cuts of $131 million

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Yeah, he ran against a guy who paid a prostitute 10 years ago. His sheeple voters ignored his public and prideful ties to Obama and Obamacare. We are not a month into his term and they are blaming his first two unsettling moves on Jindal.
    Just like Obama and hillary are still blaming Bush 7 years later for things they should have fixed even if true.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Edwards administration notifies LA universities of potential cuts of $131 million

I've been watching videos of the Ways & Means Committee and the Appropriations Committee meeting while I work during the day. I encourage anyone who is concerned about what's going on in Baton Rouge, and can find the time to do the same. Frankly, I'm impressed. Having watched these in the past, but only on a few occasions, I expected to see wrangling and arguments. There was none of that.

The meetings are straight forward and business-like. They are discussing long term solutions and how do you change the methods and things we've always done in the past so we don't end up in this hole again.

For instance, and I don't remember the names unfortunately, one legislator was testifying on his bill to channel revenues from oil and gas. His plan was to take funds in excess of the necessary departmental funding, which comes to about 500 - 600 mil, that normally goes straight into the general fund and dedicate it based on percentages to unfunded liability debt, roads and bridges construction (NOT DOTD SALARIES AND ADMIN), traffic flow construction projects (highways) and a couple of other things. That excess can be 300 - 400 mil when times are better. The plan is part of a series of bills to change how funds are spent and how the General Fund is funded. Because of the current crises, the bills provisions would go into effect in budget year 2017/2018. The methodology sounds a lot like how Texas and Oklahoma handle their oil & gas revenue.

A committee member spoke up and talked about the similarities to a bill he is introducing that has much the same intent but with some other key features. They went back and forth on how they might work together on a better, combined bill. The chairman encouraged them to get together and come up with something for the committee, but to do it quickly because they don't have a lot of time. The committee members, Dems & Repubs were good with the concepts.

One Ways and Means meeting was dealing with cutting department spending. The second in command of the Treasury told what they're looking at and how some things have already been cut 3 percent and that they were looking at how to pick up the additional 2 percent that is available. Apparently our constitution restricts cutting funding of constitutionally protected funds to a maximum of 5 percent in any given year, which is insanely low. Long term he said this 5% restriction had to be changed and opened up but that would take a vote of the people. Committee members discussed that various bills were addressing that point but may not be completed in the special session because of the complexity and time available but knew a change had to be done. And the changes to the constitution were essential. The Treasurer and a couple of committee members talked about a constitutional convention but that in the past that was always a non-starter. But now maybe it has potential in the not too distant future.

Bills are being discussed, clarified, amended and moved to the floor. It's fast moving and for government, kind of intense. Like I said, I've been encouraged by what I saw and thought it was worthwhile to pass on.

Again, if you're interested, you ought to find time to watch some of these committee meetings.

Big Dog Avi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the rough Avi8r's Avatar

Louisiana's credit rating has been downgraded, after years of budget instability that leave public colleges and government services wallowing in repeated financial uncertainty

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/louisiana-hit-credit-rating-downgrade-224457705.html

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    I've been watching videos of the Ways & Means Committee and the Appropriations Committee meeting while I work during the day. I encourage anyone who is concerned about what's going on in Baton Rouge, and can find the time to do the same. Frankly, I'm impressed. Having watched these in the past, but only on a few occasions, I expected to see wrangling and arguments. There was none of that.

The meetings are straight forward and business-like. They are discussing long term solutions and how do you change the methods and things we've always done in the past so we don't end up in this hole again.

For instance, and I don't remember the names unfortunately, one legislator was testifying on his bill to channel revenues from oil and gas. His plan was to take funds in excess of the necessary departmental funding, which comes to about 500 - 600 mil, that normally goes straight into the general fund and dedicate it based on percentages to unfunded liability debt, roads and bridges construction (NOT DOTD SALARIES AND ADMIN), traffic flow construction projects (highways) and a couple of other things. That excess can be 300 - 400 mil when times are better. The plan is part of a series of bills to change how funds are spent and how the General Fund is funded. Because of the current crises, the bills provisions would go into effect in budget year 2017/2018. The methodology sounds a lot like how Texas and Oklahoma handle their oil & gas revenue.

A committee member spoke up and talked about the similarities to a bill he is introducing that has much the same intent but with some other key features. They went back and forth on how they might work together on a better, combined bill. The chairman encouraged them to get together and come up with something for the committee, but to do it quickly because they don't have a lot of time. The committee members, Dems & Repubs were good with the concepts.

One Ways and Means meeting was dealing with cutting department spending. The second in command of the Treasury told what they're looking at and how some things have already been cut 3 percent and that they were looking at how to pick up the additional 2 percent that is available. Apparently our constitution restricts cutting funding of constitutionally protected funds to a maximum of 5 percent in any given year, which is insanely low. Long term he said this 5% restriction had to be changed and opened up but that would take a vote of the people. Committee members discussed that various bills were addressing that point but may not be completed in the special session because of the complexity and time available but knew a change had to be done. And the changes to the constitution were essential. The Treasurer and a couple of committee members talked about a constitutional convention but that in the past that was always a non-starter. But now maybe it has potential in the not too distant future.

Bills are being discussed, clarified, amended and moved to the floor. It's fast moving and for government, kind of intense. Like I said, I've been encouraged by what I saw and thought it was worthwhile to pass on.

Again, if you're interested, you ought to find time to watch some of these committee meetings.

Good to hear! I was afraid the session would turn into a finger pointing circus.

Champ CutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to behold

Where would one find these videos to watch?

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

With college education costs nationwide rising 1,134% (insane) since 1978 (10X faster then the price of automobiles) much of this was inevitable when TOPS and other government freebies kicked in to the "system". It almost appears as if the liberal politico during this time were paying off the universities to fill our kid's head full of that PC mumbo jumbo.
    And that goes especially for the "golden child" of LSU which also has been receiving more of that money because their tuition was higher than say Tech or ULL. The "have not" universities suffered vs. the Louisiana politico's favorite child. You guys in La. have a total mess on your hands as really the rest of the country does as well but just doesn't know it yet. After all, there is over #1 Trillion in student loans from our government to get degrees but the job market doesn't have enough to hand out to these students.
    But just imagine when the 78 million "baby boomers " own children finally all get through college. Where will the new students come from to attend? Or worse yet, when the $78 million "baby boomers" retire (something like 8 every second) and quit spending money and save only; where are the tax dollars going to come from to pay for all of the freebies of the liberals and this expensive education system they have created? Dang, we need a new party or line of thinking in office quick!!

Champ Built4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond repute Built4Speed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    With college education costs nationwide rising 1,134% (insane) since 1978 (10X faster then the price of automobiles) much of this was inevitable when TOPS and other government freebies kicked in to the "system". It almost appears as if the liberal politico during this time were paying off the universities to fill our kid's head full of that PC mumbo jumbo.
    And that goes especially for the "golden child" of LSU which also has been receiving more of that money because their tuition was higher than say Tech or ULL. The "have not" universities suffered vs. the Louisiana politico's favorite child. You guys in La. have a total mess on your hands as really the rest of the country does as well but just doesn't know it yet. After all, there is over #1 Trillion in student loans from our government to get degrees but the job market doesn't have enough to hand out to these students.
    But just imagine when the 78 million "baby boomers " own children finally all get through college. Where will the new students come from to attend? Or worse yet, when the $78 million "baby boomers" retire (something like 8 every second) and quit spending money and save only; where are the tax dollars going to come from to pay for all of the freebies of the liberals and this expensive education system they have created? Dang, we need a new party or line of thinking in office quick!!
    We all remember the 2008 real estate bubble bursting. This won't be much different in terms of overall effect.

+ Reply to Thread