+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Standings

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Standings

As of 1/25/15, we have moved up in the standings:

Top 6 in CUSA:
    WKU 8-0
    UTEP 7-0
    MTSU 5-2
    Tech 4-2
    ODU 3-3
    Southern Miss 3-3

Just a half game behind MTSU. UTSA on the road next, which will be difficult (they are 2-5, but we can't take any team for granted)

Then, the BIG test of UTEP on the road. IF we were to beat UTSA and pull of a big upset at UTEP, we would be right in the thick of things. Don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves, but play like we did yesterday and the wins will keep coming!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Standings

New standings for top 6 as of 1/31/16 after MTSU beat WKU yesterday:
    UTEP 9-0 (18-1)
    WKU 8-1
    MTSU 7-2
    Tech 5-3
    Charlotte 5-4

Games of note this week: UTEP has to go on the road to play WKU on Saturday. Other than that, I don't see the top 6 losing either of their two games this week.

Full standings and schedules here:
    http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...-page-2015.pdf

ODU 5-4

Varsity Bulldog BruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the rough

We've got 10 games left within which to develop/establish tournament-ready consistency.

We've shown improvement and near consistency in most areas--but not free throws. We've actually dropped off there, but one is probably a reflection of the other, since free throw shooting is mostly concentration. I think our girls are like a golfer who's list of swing-thoughts is down from 5 to 2.

My guess is that when the action stops for free throws, the girls are used to using that time to recap, go over scenarios and what they need to do next, really just a time to re-focus on the game. So it takes some self-discipline to not do that when you're the one behind the charity stripe. It's ironic that you have to break yourself from a good habit when you're the one at the line.

Board work, especially offensive rebounds, is an aspect in which we've shown sometimes dramatic improvement, but not yet consistency. It's another one of those focus areas. I'm not disappointed in that, 'cause it's all been a lot to incorporate into their game, and it takes awhile before these separate emphases become habits, or tools you can reach for in a split second as the game moves.

But come tourney time... free throws will win or lose games--especially since the girls' rules allow you to foul before the clock starts. That means our worst free throw shooter on the floor ipso facto becomes our go-to-player in the last minute of a close game. With that rule, the final minute of a tourney game could take 20 minutes, without using a timeout!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Why would our worst free throw shooter be our "go-to-player in the last minute of a close game"? I want the ball in the hands of my BEST FT shooter if the other team is gonna foul.

Varsity Bulldog BruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Why would our worst free throw shooter be our "go-to-player in the last minute of a close game"? I want the ball in the hands of my BEST FT shooter if the other team is gonna foul.
    ...because the rules allow teams to foul before the clock starts--before the ball is in anyone's hands. What I've usually seen is the player tells the ref, I'm going to foul (usually hold, grasp, or put two hands on) #17 before the ball is inbounded. The ref watches for it, then whistles when it happens.

So we won't get to choose who we want going to the line--the team that's behind will choose. Another parity rule?
    "Games" (that aren't blowouts) may become exciting... but "the game" won't be.

It's the difference between suspense and stress. Suspense is entertaining, but stressful. Stress is seldom suspenseful--and never entertaining.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Then that's an intentional foul and should result in 2 shots and possession. That'll put an end to that practice.

But, here's a simpler rule that can apply during the whole game. When in the bonus the team that is fouled has the choice of shooting the FTs or having a new possession with a fresh shot clock. That'll also put an end the WORST game flow of any sport on the planet. That stupid parade to the FT line....boring!

As it is, under these rules, put your 5 best FT shooters on the floor, and then sub in defenders, back and forth.

Of course...ANYONE on a Division I 'ship should be able to shoot FTs at a minimum 70% rate. No excuse not to.

Things are getting interesting now in the conference race.... We have one more loss than MTSU (3rd place) and 2 more losses than UTEP and WKU (tied for first). WKU plays UTEP tomorrow, so one will drop down to the same as MTSU.

UTEP 9-1
    WKU 9-1
    MTSU 8-2
    Lady Techsters 6-3
    Charlotte 5-4
    ODU 5-4

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/c-usa/sports/w-baskbl/auto_pdf/2015-16/misc_non_event/standings-page-2015.pdf

Varsity Bulldog eddawgfan is just really niceeddawgfan is just really niceeddawgfan is just really niceeddawgfan is just really niceeddawgfan is just really niceeddawgfan is just really niceeddawgfan is just really niceeddawgfan is just really niceeddawgfan is just really niceeddawgfan is just really nice eddawgfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BruisedOrange View Post
    ...because the rules allow teams to foul before the clock starts--before the ball is in anyone's hands. What I've usually seen is the player tells the ref, I'm going to foul (usually hold, grasp, or put two hands on) #17 before the ball is inbounded. The ref watches for it, then whistles when it happens.

So we won't get to choose who we want going to the line--the team that's behind will choose. Another parity rule?
    "Games" (that aren't blowouts) may become exciting... but "the game" won't be.

It's the difference between suspense and stress. Suspense is entertaining, but stressful. Stress is seldom suspenseful--and never entertaining.

Thanks for posting about the rules.....very interesting!

UTEP beat WKU at WKU. 85-78

MTSU wins......

Now:
    UTEP one loss
    WKU two losses
    MTSU two losses
    and Lady Techsters 3 losses.......

Going to get REAL tight, if we can keep pulling out the wins!

Champ Beaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud of Beaver-Dog's Avatar

Next Thursday against MT is very important. We have not shown we can play well on the road against quality opponents. Have to play better than we did at home this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver-Dog View Post
    Next Thursday against MT is very important. We have not shown we can play well on the road against quality opponents. Have to play better than we did at home this week.
    I agree, except last week at UTEP. Even though we lost, we played well enough to win that one. Need to just keep winning and beat UTEP when they come to town!

Agreed--that is a big game.

There are games that are "big" because of the negatives you want to avoid in losing, and games that are big because of the positives you want to achieve by winning. For me as a participant, those were very different kinds of pressure. I think the most natural response is you play more intense defense when you're trying to avoid a loss, but have more focus on offense (or turnover defense) when you're trying to achieve something positive with a win.

I think championship teams are made up of individuals who passionately hate losing more than they enjoy winning, but somehow develop a team personality motivated to achieve greater positives, regardless of the opponent.

That to ask this: which way do you think our players will be looking at the MTSU game? Will they be embracing the negative ("gotta avoid falling into a tie with Charlotte") or the positive ("this is our chance to prove we belong in the top four")?

My impression--purely from what I've read and listening to the games via Malcolm--is that this team gets more focused when their backs are against the wall, when they're playing to avoid something negative (or in response to something negative, like getting benched). That's not the best thing (for a coach's health!) and you can't build a championship mentality on that, but we have to start somewhere. If that's our team identity in February 2016, at some point we may just have to ride that pony as far as it'll take us into the post-season.

Champ Beaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud of Beaver-Dog's Avatar

Wingate fits the "hate to lose " profile. She turns it up in the second half when we are behind. Santos seems to have the same attitude.

The problem in my opinion is the rest of the team is sort of a mix. I believe this is due to the youth of the team. They haven't played together for a full year yet. They have improved, but still have a way to go. Next year better, the following year, even better.

This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Wingate fits the "hate to lose " profile. She turns it up in the second half when we are behind. Santos seems to have the same attitude.

The problem in my opinion is the rest of the team is sort of a mix. I believe this is due to the youth of the team. They haven't played together for a full year yet. They have improved, but still have a way to go. Next year better, the following year, even better.

This is a marathon, not a sprint.
    You just nailed what I was going to post. I agree about the marathon, as well. We are slowly building this, but it is in the right way. I have no doubt in my mind that as we get closer to what we are trying to achieve, we will just keep getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    You just nailed what I was going to post. I agree about the marathon, as well. We are slowly building this, but it is in the right way. I have no doubt in my mind that as we get closer to what we are trying to achieve, we will just keep getting better.
    Great minds think alike.

+ Reply to Thread