+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flash Marketing Again?

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Flash Marketing Again?

Quote Originally Posted by CutiePie72 View Post
    Apparently the marketing attempt to the students by bribing them with a selfie stick has run its course. Sunday at the girls' game, there was a stack of them on the front table for anyone to pick up on the way out. Either all the students have one already, or there obviously weren't 200 students there for the "first 200" to get one. I know it was a noon game and half were still asleep or hadn't returned to town over the weekend at home, but still, that's kind of sad.
    A lot of the people around me were complaining that they weren't the kind of stick with the button. I was like, stop complaining about free stuff! But I guess word got around.

Champ CutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to behold

Well, picky, picky--not you, but the others. Even so, if there were 200 students there not counting the band, it was a miracle.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    - Host a carnival like we did for those near-sell out WBB games a few years ago. Those were great.

- Early tip-off for one of those crappy OOC opponents during the school day and invite all the area schools for a field trip to pack the TAC. Others schools do this, and it's incredible. The kids love it.

- Get Konkol on the local news for an in-studio conversation, do the weather report, or host the local news stations at the TAC. UTEP and ODU do this all the time. I've even seen KTBS broadcast from NWST several times.

- Do like Konkol did before the ODU game by going on campus and encouraging students to attend. Tyndall was great at that.

- Have a couple basketball players go to each sorority/frat meeting on Sunday evenings and encourage them to come to the games.

- Potentially viral YouTube videos to promote each home game. Our same old cookie-cutter graphics get ignored.

- Meet-in-greet at North Louisiana Cane's/Johnny's or other quick service restaurant sponsors with Champ, Tech XXI, a coach, and maybe a player.

- Autograph sessions at the Shreveport, Bossier, and Monroe Academy Sports.

- Put banners and yard signs around town on game days.

- Much better execution of a church night promotion at the TAC.

- Get a few free tickets to all the North Louisiana radio stations for them to give away.

- Pep rally for the students to teach them what to do at basketball games.

I could go on and on...

So, it's possible that the promotion of the game itself needs to improve. However, the real problem is that the game itself is not a big deal, so we have to give people other reasons to attend. Not challenging your thought, just making sure I understand your point.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Also, I agree that our coaches, players, and admin should be more accessible. I have heard it's really hard to get the coaches to do anything and even harder to get the players involved. Should they be forced? I don't know. If it had a positive result, and got more and more effective each time, I would hope they would be more willing to participate.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    So, it's possible that the promotion of the game itself needs to improve. However, the real problem is that the game itself is not a big deal, so we have to give people other reasons to attend. Not challenging your thought, just making sure I understand your point.
    Exactly. We've pretty much maxed out on getting people to the games who just want to watch good basketball. We have to make the games an event. If Tech wants me to drive 144 miles round trip to watch a basketball game, they have to give me a good reason. I didn't get home til after 11:30 the Thursday night of the ODU game.

First, we have to let people know about the games. Second, we have to give people a reason to come to the games. That means getting exposure and getting folks excited to come. Most importantly, we have to deliver when they show up so they'll come back.

You also have to understand your target market for each game. For a weeknight game, you have to depend on the local market (Ruston and students). On weekends, our games are open to a more regional market from Shreveport to Monroe.

Taking out a full page LTAC ad in The Shreveport Times is a waste of money. Putting up billboards in Bossier that say "Buy tickets today #WeAreLATech" is a waste of money. Putting up a billboard eastbound before you get to Haughton saying "Shreveport is Bulldog Country" is an example of Tech not knowing our market. Now the brand new billboards in Shreveport that say something like, "TECH MEANS BUSINESS: Caddo-Bossier students earn $500K annually in Louisiana Tech College of Business scholarships" are great. Billboards are messaging and knowing your market.

I count 31 Johnny's Pizzas on this map. Champ, Tech XXI, coaches, players, cheerleaders, Regal Blues, and ticket sellers should hit up the lunch buffet rush at each of them at least twice a year.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    A prime example of this is the reaction when we hit the Raising Canes point. Now, that's a great promotion, but its obvious that most people are only excited for that, then sit back down and get on their phones.

Big Dog sharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nice

The effort to increase attendance is not and should not be directed toward the season ticket holders. They have made their commitment. The target should be those that come to maybe one or a few games per year. Mostly we are talking about families. But when the blue seats are $15 per then a family of four or more are going to spend $60 and more before any concessions. A 20 oz. Pepsi is $4, a hot dog is $4 (chili add a $1, cheese add another $1), nachos at least $4, and on and on. This is crazy. People aren't paying these prices.

They need a family plan for every game. For every child at $5 then an accompanying adult gets a blue seat for $5. So a mom and dad and two kids get four blue seats for $20. There needs to be a child under 12 special at the concession stand. Maybe a 6 oz. drink, a small piece of candy and some popcorn for $2. Perhaps this will stimulate mom and dad to pay the outrageous prices for their concessions.

How about recognizing the honor roll kids at our local schools at the games. Pick one or two or three schools per game. The honor roll kids get a free blue seat and the accompanying adult/adults get in for $5. Show the name of the school and the name of the honor roll kids on the video screen during the timeouts and at half time. Perhaps this would stimulate attendance.

Market to the local basketball teams. Give the coaches and the bus drivers a free blue seat and let the players in for $5 each. Parents of the players would also be eligible for a $5 blue seat.

Their are other ideas and opportunities to improve the marketing effort. Perhaps the athletic department should ask the marketing professors to challenge their marketing students to come up with promotions and then try them if they appear to have merit. It can be done but it will require that the athletic staff get outside the nine dots that they currently find themselves within.

First and foremost, the coaches are going to have to put teams on the court that are exciting and fun to watch. And nothing stimulates attendance like winning. Mike White accomplished this in a very short time. Weatherspoon never did. I hope that Konkel and Summit can succeed.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Heck, in my day at TECH (70's) the games scheduled that week at Memorial were written in colored caulk on the sidewalks around campus (outside dorms , the two cafeterias, and the in the quad. And the students showed up en-mass!

Just saying...
    Last edited by TYLERTECHSAS; 01-26-2016 at 10:48 PM.

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Heck, in my day at TECH (70's) the games scheduled that week at Memorial were even written in colored caulk on the sidewalks around campus (outside dorms , the two cafeterias, and the in the quad. And the students showed up en-mass!

Just saying...
    Were those the hills you had to trek up, both ways, in the snow?

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Were those the hills you had to trek up, both ways, in the snow?
    Without shoes and hanging free.

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Here's what it took in TYLERTECHSAS' day to get people to the TAC:

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Heck, in my day at TECH (70's) the games scheduled that week at Memorial were written in colored chalk on the sidewalks around campus (outside dorms , the two cafeterias, and the in the quad. And the students showed up en-mass!

Just saying...
    Here's what it takes now:

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    - Host a carnival like we did for those near-sell out WBB games a few years ago. Those were great.

- Early tip-off for one of those crappy OOC opponents during the school day and invite all the area schools for a field trip to pack the TAC. Others schools do this, and it's incredible. The kids love it.

- Get Konkol on the local news for an in-studio conversation, do the weather report, or host the local news stations at the TAC. UTEP and ODU do this all the time. I've even seen KTBS broadcast from NWST several times.

- Do like Konkol did before the ODU game by going on campus and encouraging students to attend. Tyndall was great at that.

- Have a couple basketball players go to each sorority/frat meeting on Sunday evenings and encourage them to come to the games.

- Potentially viral YouTube videos to promote each home game. Our same old cookie-cutter graphics get ignored.

- Meet-in-greet at North Louisiana Cane's/Johnny's or other quick service restaurant sponsors with Champ, Tech XXI, a coach, and maybe a player.

- Autograph sessions at the Shreveport, Bossier, and Monroe Academy Sports.

- Put banners and yard signs around town on game days.

- Much better execution of a church night promotion at the TAC.

- Get a few free tickets to all the North Louisiana radio stations for them to give away.

- Pep rally for the students to teach them what to do at basketball games.

I could go on and on...
    Granted, Tyler was at Tech during the horse and buggy days, when there were no moving picture shows, no "on-the'line" activities, etc. To be clear, I am not criticizing--just making an observation.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Somethings never change in life. Maddawg bitching about marketing and Dawg06 bitching about scheduling. Not that y'all are right or wrong, it just never stops.

Big Dog TrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant future

I think what Dawg 06 has pointed out is very good strategy and it needs to be implemented. My only question would be this, would players balk at going to give autographs at Academy or somewhere outside of Ruston because of the whole they dont get paid to play thing? I personally think a free education is plenty of "pay" for an athlete, but I'm just wondering with how the world is today.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by touchdown123 View Post
    Somethings never change in life. Maddawg bitching about marketing and Dawg06 bitching about scheduling. Not that y'all are right or wrong, it just never stops.
    So you are happy with the overall job our AD is doing? I'm a LaTech fan. I want what is best for LaTech.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    So you are happy with the overall job our AD is doing? I'm a LaTech fan. I want what is best for LaTech.
    I think he is doing OK.

+ Reply to Thread