+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Discussion...

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

For Discussion...

Just curious in opinions about what Coach Brooke Stohrs did last night. She sent her players into the stands as the game ended to personally apologize to the fans for a crappy performance. And it was a pathetic performance. NSU lost to UCA 74-49 and it was that ugly.

I chatted with several of the players and simply said "it was a bad night, don't worry about it." But the players seemed genuine in their apologies. And they thanked the fans....maybe 100 of us....who attended.

So....is that a good move by a coach?

Champ Woof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to behold

Re: For Discussion...

Gimmicky.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I do like the idea of making sure the players know that fans want to see them play their best, but I agree with Woof on the gimmick of that move. Have the team captain give an apology in an after-game interview would make the same point.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

One of the "Dads" of a player was upset by it. He didn't think it was appropriate for his daughter (and the other players) to have to apologize.

I can see both sides of the issue.

Just had never seen anything quite like that before, and thought it was interesting. I have seen coaches apologize for a poor performance, but never players. Anyway, no big deal, just thought it was interesting.

On another note, I was disappointed by Brooke's coaching last night. This is the first time I have seen her get out-coached, and I have seen many of their games in the past several years. UCA was running a simple off-the-ball screening regimen, and NSU never adjusted to it. UCA kept getting lay-ups and easy looks all night. The only real problem in NSU's offense was they kept missing lay-ups, and free throws too. They couldn't hit nothing. I bet missing FT's drives Brooke nuts! given her talent for it.

Why do I mention any of this here? Just that I think Brooke should be/will be a candidate to replace Summit some day at Tech. So, I am very interested in following her development as a Division I coach.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

She should take away their meal cards for the week as punishment. Oh wait, that was Leon that did that

Champ Woof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to behold

Should the players that sat on the bench and didn't play have to apologize? Should the coaching staff have to apologize? Would a player that had great game (25+ points) with lots of assists, etc. in a losing effort have to apologize? I don't think is done very often for good reasons.

Champ Beaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud of Beaver-Dog's Avatar

The coach should apologize for not getting the team ready. The buck stops. ........

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    She should take away their meal cards for the week as punishment. Oh wait, that was Leon that did that
    Tyler is cut from some of the same mold. Kicked the whole team out of practice last week before the Southern Miss game and made them run the stadium instead.

Champ Beaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud of Beaver-Dog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Tyler is cut from some of the same mold. Kicked the whole team out of practice last week before the Southern Miss game and made them run the stadium instead.
    And what did they do to Southern Miss?

Also, Tyler's, punishment was at practice. Things like that should be done away from the public eye. However, I don't think the NW players were irreparably harmed.

Varsity Bulldog BruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the rough

On televised games Pat Summitt was frequently "miked" for pre-game and half-time locker room team talks. I don't think I ever heard her not emphasize the players' responsibility to play worthy of the crowd in the stands. She'd talk about the time and money each person in the stands had already invested just to watch them play. She would use phrases like, "You OWE it to them..." Pat especially didn't like her "All-Americans" to think wearing the orange was their right.

I think part of this was Pat's constant investment in growing the women's game; creating a real relationship between the players and the fans. The last home game of the season she frequently (maybe always) sent the players into the stands to thank the fans.

All that to say that a coach emphasizing the fan relationship and sending players into the stands are an established part of the girls game in many quarters.

Now, as for sending them up to apologize to a hundred or so fans... I think I'm okay with that.
    1) you want players to own their mistakes, and especially any lack of effort or focus.
    2) you don't want them just getting down on themselves, but to be aware of their play in a context larger than themselves.

Individually you might say it's unfair for someone who didn't play, or didn't play poorly, to have to apologize to fans. But you win and lose as a team. You want "the team" to own this defeat. Maybe a bench player only plays in practice, but the coach still wants her asking herself, "What could I have done different, done better, leading up to this game to have avoided this? Am I pushing the starters enough in practice? What's missing from my game that I'm not out there contributing? Why am I not a player the coach feels confident enough to call upon to go into a game when the starters are screwing up?"

So, yeah. I think I like that coach.

Champ DJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Publicly shaming and embarrassing your students is just wrong and border-line bullying. No decent manager, especially one over young people, would intentionally cause public embarrassment.

There are other ways to get your point across.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

I like it but then again I'm old school and not PC in the least.

Varsity Bulldog BruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by DJDAWG View Post
    Publicly shaming and embarrassing your students is just wrong and border-line bullying. No decent manager, especially one over young people, would intentionally cause public embarrassment.
    I agree with everything you wrote. I just don't think that's what was done here. If the coach had sent them up into the stands to have the fans vent on them, or swat their fannies--THAT would be shaming.

But having the players recognize that people spent effort, time and money with the expectation that they would see their team at least play with effort and focus... then go and take ownership of the fact that they didn't honor their end of that implied contract... I think that is taking ownership and responsibility. And realize, if there were only a hundred fans there, I'll bet the girls received 100% thanks and encouragement from the supporters they apologized to.

Publicly shaming and embarrassing players in an artificial, manipulated situation would absolutely be wrong for a coach to do. I just think what transpired in this particular situation was real, instructive, and ultimately a positive experience for the girls.

Quote Originally Posted by BruisedOrange View Post
    I agree with everything you wrote. I just don't think that's what was done here. If the coach had sent them up into the stands to have the fans vent on them, or swat their fannies--THAT would be shaming.

But having the players recognize that people spent effort, time and money with the expectation that they would see their team at least play with effort and focus... then go and take ownership of the fact that they didn't honor their end of that implied contract... I think that is taking ownership and responsibility. And realize, if there were only a hundred fans there, I'll bet the girls received 100% thanks and encouragement from the supporters they apologized to.

Publicly shaming and embarrassing players in an artificial, manipulated situation would absolutely be wrong for a coach to do. I just think what transpired in this particular situation was real, instructive, and ultimately a positive experience for the girls.
    That is exactly what transpired.

.....'cept for one fellow I had been sitting with and chatting with during the game. He just kind of waved the players off and hurried out the arena. All game he mumbled to himself about the inexcusable play of the home team. He played college ball and had a short stint in the NBA, but by his own admission, had never coached. He was not happy with the performance. He is a season ticket holder for both the men's and women's NSU teams, a huge benefactor to the school, especially athletics, and can always be seen at NSU home games in all sports. He is also a long time close friend of mine....so I tend to look past any shortcomings he may have.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    [...] He is also a long time close friend of mine....so I tend to look past any shortcomings he may have.
    He's blessed to have a friend like that. We all need at least one.

+ Reply to Thread