+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: W. Basketball. @LATechWBB Downs UTSA in OT

Champ Beaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud of Beaver-Dog's Avatar

Re: W. Basketball. @LATechWBB Downs UTSA in OT

It's hard to believe that it the Techsters haven't had a 4 game winning streak since the 2010-11 season. We've been down so long, the bottom looks like up.

Varsity Bulldog BruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the rough

I had to go to bed before this one was over. Feel relieved this morning to find that they pulled it out--or more specifically, that they pulled themselves together enough to pull it out.

But there's something odd about this team, that they almost prefer to produce under duress, in response to some external negative like being benched or behind on the scoreboard, rather than proactively perform well in pursuit of something positive. Like last night's free throw shooting: 51% for 4 quarters, but 75% in overtime.

To a great extent, whether you find your motivation internally or externally is a function of personality--can't change that in an individual. But this team seems to have adopted a personality that demands the coaches wear spurs and ride them day-in/day-out.

Pat had some teams like that. A few got focused at the end of the season, responding to tournament pressure as that outside stressor, and finished as strong, productive teams. But most eventually folded under that pressure, 'cause they had no experience with how to handle it at the Final-4 level. Teams that demand excellence of themselves aren't as susceptible to external pressures. Their internal demands provide them some insulation from the ratcheting-up of external stressors.

I'll leave it to those with real coaching experience to say, but I've always figured free-throw consistency from game to game might be an accurate indicator of how much a player was motivated internally. Right now, seems like Pumroy is the only starter who (whether she's a natural introvert or not) knows how to internally connect personal pride to the quality of her play.

Or maybe this team just has a high ADD quotient. I know procrastination--creating an artificial external stressor--was my preferred strategy in college to produce the focus I needed.

To put it in practical terms, removing all the psychometric mumbo-jumbo, I wonder if this team doesn't have many players who are excellent free throw shooters alone in an empty gym?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Any road win is a good win. Conference road wins are very good! WTG Techsters.

Champ MiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond repute

We were listening to the end of the girl's game driving back to Minden last night. We all commented that we have never heard of two girls' teams shooting free throws so poorly. Typically they are higher percentage shooters than guys (I have nothing to back that up but my own observation). There were A TON of fouls called in that game.

Champ Beaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud of Beaver-Dog's Avatar

Near the end of regulation, I don't understand why anyone but Pomeroy or Vasquez was handling the ball. They are the best free throw shooters. I wasn't watching the game so maybe someone else could comment.

With all that our young team has to learn, maybe there isn't enough time to practice free throws.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

We knew going in that we would be shooting a ton of free throws due to UTSA's reputation of playing extremely physical. We had players that usually hit those just go cold, though. It was strange and not like this team.

I'm ready to move on to UTEP. This is the biggest game of the season so far, in my humble opinion. HUGE!

Varsity Bulldog BruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the rough

For the season we're shooting 67% from the line. (before the UTSA game we were over 69%)

I did a quick check to see if UTSA shot worse from the line in their arena than on the road. The pattern that jumped out at me was that regardless of road or home, they always shot close to what their opponent shot, whether that was 44% against us or as high as 86% on the road!

Not sure what to make of that...

Maybe they should try the old granny toss. You know underhanded with two hands.

Hey Champ seen any videos of the game?

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver-Dog View Post
    Hey Champ seen any videos of the game?
    Nothing this time........ Kind of strange.......

+ Reply to Thread