+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 72 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to the important stuff....

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Back to the important stuff....

I would immediately cut Bradley, Zardes, and Altidore and bring up some youngsters...Soto, for one, from the U20/U23 teams.

What's worse is that was Mexico's "B" team, missing 5 of their regular starters. We didn't have Adams and Zimmer, but they are defenders and the defense was not the problem last night. Our front 6, except for Pulisic and Arriola, is the issue, along with the holding MF. As an aside Arriola is a small dude, looks like a kid out there, what is he, 5' 4" 130 lbs, maybe? But, I'd keep him, he hustles and makes plays.

Not to be totally negative, we do have some youngsters that can be the foundation of a decent side. If Berhalter doesn't make the changes, to back up, and start building toward the 2022 WC, then he needs to go. I had thought, HOPED, that Bradley and Altidore could contribute to the development of a young team, providing experience and stability as the young players grew. But, they are both just major liabilities. I have NEVER, EVER thought Zardes belonged on the National Team. What a bad joke he is!

Qualifying for the 2022 WC will be a huge challenge with Berhalter at the helm...unless he realizes what he's doing is off-base. Hmmm...

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

One more "Ugh!" crowd of 82,000 in Chicago last night, maybe 15,000 US fans and 67,000 Mexican fans. At least half here illegally. They have ignored warnings to not shout "faggot" at the opposing GK, laughing at FIFA and CONCACAF's weak-azz threats "to do something." I'd like to see the LQZXYBTD crowd, whatever it is, show up at Mexican games in protest. That should be a fun sideshow!

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you said you were keeping politics out of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    One more "Ugh!" crowd of 82,000 in Chicago last night, maybe 15,000 US fans and 67,000 Mexican fans. At least half here illegally. They have ignored warnings to not shout "faggot" at the opposing GK, laughing at FIFA and CONCACAF's weak-azz threats "to do something." I'd like to see the LQZXYBTD crowd, whatever it is, show up at Mexican games in protest. That should be a fun sideshow!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    I thought you said you were keeping politics out of this thread.
    Unfortunately, this is part of the reality whenever/wherever Mexico plays. The Mexican Futbol Federation was fined by FIFA because of this at the last WC in 2018. They paid the fine but asked, what are they supposed to do about it, can't control the fans. I attended a Mexico Gold Cup match in Houston, sat amongst Mexican fans. They played Honduras that night and were shouting "pooo-low" at least that's how it sounds to me. One of their fans tapped me on the shoulder and said, "in case you don't know what we're shouting, we're calling the opposing keeper "asshole" when he kicks it." Later, in a series of articles on it, I learned the word actually means "homo" or "faggot" and of course that is offensive to some. When I thought the term was a-hole I thought that was not nice, the fellow is probably not an a-hole. Now that I know what it really means, I personally find it humorous. Not that I think the keeper is one, but I know it offends the LSDQRXYZ crowd, and that is funny!

As for calling for the protests, I would like to see those two groups hook up in what might be a brawl/riot. Now, that would be funny for sure! As for the other, I think ICE should lock down the stadium and every Mexican fan checked to see if they are here illegally, and detain those who are for immediate deportation. Of course, they will be back in the country the very next day...

As for Mexican fans and their El Tri team, I hate their effing guts!

As for what you said, this is my thread. So, I reserve the right to comment about such issues when I deem them appropriate. But, now that I have vented, we return you to our regularly scheduled programming...

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

El Tri and their fans are thugs, and should be treated as such. Laser pointers, homophobic slurs, and all. It’s why no one wants to play at Azteca.

You want politics? Ask yourself how their fans can pony up 50 bucks a ticket for these gold cup matches? Probably cause they ain’t paying any taxes.

Honestly our own federation is partly to blame. They insist on playing these matches in “largely woke” cities where you have lots of Mexicans to fill the stands. I mean we scheduled Honduras in New York City? Really?

I’m for not playing Mexico anywhere but Columbus, Ohio in the next cycle for our “home” game.

The USMNT does more to make other teams look good than any other side. Any other country would have turned over their coach by now. Mexico fired their coach like 4 times in two years.

Agreed.

Meantime, we have bigger problems. I was excited about Berhalter and willing to give him a chance when he introduced an up-tempo style and he was bringing in all those youngsters. I was hoping by WC 2022 we might actually have something to get excited about. He's at a crossroads now...for me. Yeah, I could see trying to win the Gold Cup, so having a few veterans made sense for this tourney. But they: Bradley, Altidore, Zardes, were all huge flops. Cut 'em now...cut bait! Don't waste anymore time on them, and instead groom some youngsters. There'll be some growing pains with a young team, some "Ouch!" results along the way, but take your lumps now and build toward 2022, and then, 2026 when the US will be a host nation.

Mexico is good, really good, by CONCACAF standards. But they can't make it past the Round of 16 in the WC Finals...hello! And we got beat by their "B" Team last night. Holy moly...

l

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Agreed.

Meantime, we have bigger problems. I was excited about Berhalter and willing to give him a chance when he introduced an up-tempo style and he was bringing in all those youngsters. I was hoping by WC 2022 we might actually have something to get excited about. He's at a crossroads now...for me. Yeah, I could see trying to win the Gold Cup, so having a few veterans made sense for this tourney. But they: Bradley, Altidore, Zardes, were all huge flops. Cut 'em now...cut bait! Don't waste anymore time on them, and instead groom some youngsters. There'll be some growing pains with a young team, some "Ouch!" results along the way, but take your lumps now and build toward 2022, and then, 2026 when the US will be a host nation.

Mexico is good, really good, by CONCACAF standards. But they can't make it past the Round of 16 in the WC Finals...hello! And we got beat by their "B" Team last night. Holy moly...

l
    Mexico is good but they are aging and unlike the US, Mexico does not have any stars on the rise. After some of their stars retire there is no one coming in behind them. Their U20 team didn’t make the U20 WC.

We have Weston, Boyd, Ream. Sargent, Weah, Soto, Pulisic, and a kid over at FC Dallas who I’m hearing may be better than Pulisic... the young defender Cannon even looked good

Stop playing anyone who won’t be around for the next two cycles, take our growing lumps and build something special.

USA 0 - El Tri - 3

Whelp. That sucked.

I just don’t think Berhalter is the answer. Too tied to MLS and MLS isn’t a real professional league. All of them would be regulated in the premier league.

Lot of youngsters last night and Mexico had most of its "A" team playing. Results were what I expected, so no disappointment in that regard. US showed flashes of promise and some brilliance at moments too. Just couldn't keep it up for anything close to 90 mins. I'm not ready to give up on Berhalter. He's actually doing what Klinnsman said needed doing...player development and getting guys playing in Europe. It's a slow-go but it's happening.

Lot of youngsters last night and Mexico had most of its "A" team playing. Results were what I expected, so no disappointment in that regard. US showed flashes of promise and some brilliance at moments too. Just couldn't keep it up for anything close to 90 mins. I'm not ready to give up on Berhalter. He's actually doing what Klinnsman said needed doing...player development and getting guys playing in Europe. It's a slow-go but it's happening.
    Playing out of the back takes time to learn. I understand his tactics and his reason for it. He is going to stick with this system no matter what. Even if it leads to goals in the short term. The problem is not the tactic, but the player selection to handle the tactic.

Trapp and Zardes played for him in Columbus...however, they have NO business playing at the national team level. Trapp has had plenty of chances and is a defensive woe in the middle. Zardes doesn't have the speed or the touch to be a true striker.

Agree about Trapp and Zardes. It's a lot like Holtz and his inexplicable loyalty to certain players.

Yep, he's trying to develop that pure European style of possession, which begins with whoever wins the ball from the opposition. No long passes allowed. So, if that player is the keeper or a defender they are taught to look for the short pass, the "simple" pass, as it is referred to.

I coached a hybrid of this tactic. Given that turnovers are killers, like in basketball, and lead to attacks on your goal, I included one edict: "when in doubt, kick it out!" And of course that meant out of trouble, which could be blasting it upfield for a defender. But, I also coached that if you were not under any immediate pressure look for that "simple" pass.

Except for some questionable personnel decisions, I like what Berhalter is doing. YES! it will take time.

US 1 Uruguay 1

Uruguay is currently ranked 5th in the world. Wow! we managed a draw, we must be improving! Nope. Uruguay treated the match exactly for what it was, an international friendly with no meaning to them.

Zardes sucks, and Josh Sargent sucks worse! Get that gangly dude off the MNT. He is horrible. Both of them are just out there. They do nothing, they accomplish even less.

Morris is active, not particularly good, but he hustles and makes things happen. He creates problems for teams' back lines. Lima looks promising. Tim Ream is okay. Nothing fancy, but he's pretty solid on the back line. Was glad to see Brad Guzan in the goal. But he got beat near-post for their goal. Scored by Brian Rodriquez who plays for LAFC in the MLS. In fact, Uruguay has several MLSers on their national team. There are some quality players in MLS.

Because Uruguay was not really trying to win, they did not apply any high pressure. Thus the "playing from the back" tactic worked just fine all night, and the US enjoyed the run of play, 59% time of possession. Had this been a game with meaning, like a World Cup encounter, Uruguay would have dialed up the pressure and won something like 4-0. (with the personnel that was out there).

There used to be a gulf between the USMNT and the world's elite. Now it's the Pacific Ocean. Since the 2014 World Cup, when moronic Klinnsman left Landon Donovan off the team, and with LD we would have reached the Final Four that year, the USMNT has tanked. Missing the 2018 WC Finals was not merely a hiccup. It is indicative of reality: the cupboard is bare.

US 1 Uruguay 1

Uruguay is currently ranked 5th in the world. Wow! we managed a draw, we must be improving! Nope. Uruguay treated the match exactly for what it was, an international friendly with no meaning to them.

Zardes sucks, and Josh Sargent sucks worse! Get that gangly dude off the MNT. He is horrible. Both of them are just out there. They do nothing, they accomplish even less.

Morris is active, not particularly good, but he hustles and makes things happen. He creates problems for teams' back lines. Lima looks promising. Tim Ream is okay. Nothing fancy, but he's pretty solid on the back line. Was glad to see Brad Guzan in the goal. But he got beat near-post for their goal. Scored by Brian Rodriquez who plays for LAFC in the MLS. In fact, Uruguay has several MLSers on their national team. There are some quality players in MLS.

Because Uruguay was not really trying to win, they did not apply any high pressure. Thus the "playing from the back" tactic worked just fine all night, and the US enjoyed the run of play, 59% time of possession. Had this been a game with meaning, like a World Cup encounter, Uruguay would have dialed up the pressure and won something like 4-0. (with the personnel that was out there).

There used to be a gulf between the USMNT and the world's elite. Now it's the Pacific Ocean. Since the 2014 World Cup, when moronic Klinnsman left Landon Donovan off the team, and with LD we would have reached the Final Four that year, the USMNT has tanked. Missing the 2018 WC Finals was not merely a hiccup. It is indicative of reality: the cupboard is bare.
    Sargent is 18, Zardes is 28. At least Sargent was aggressive on the pitch and didn't get lost like Zardes, but he is still developing (and developing in the Bundesliga not MLS). Morris is active on his side, but too bad that side is filled by Pulisic. If he could make the transition to the other side he would have a spot for sure. Ream is decent. Not special. Not bad. They held formation and tracked back well for the most of the night on defense. They played out of the back pretty well. Simple passes. Possession ball.

Guzan made some decent saves.

Yes the gap is huge and no one knows why. The US soccer program has invested millions into the Developmental Academy for the past 10 years and there are very little results to show for this investment.

Pomykal and Cannon looked like they are progressing (BTW FC Dallas is one of the few MLS programs that is developing talent the right way...young player development!). Speaking of Pomykal, he took a not so subtle dig at Zardes in his comments before the match saying we shouldn't be playing anyone 28 and up in these friendlies.

I agree with Pomykal, all these friendlies should be about young player development. Next up are Cuba and Canada, twice each, and with luck, we should be able to forge some kind of comfortable lead. We should be ready to play at least one youngster per match, maybe the last 15-20 mins.

US 7 Cuba 0

The Cuban side has been decimated by defections. They have lost 20 players the past year alone. Of course I cannot imagine why these fellows would flee a country with the awesome communism. I'm sure our resident lefties will tell us those players were actually kidnapped by some dastardly Trumpers.

As for as the USMNT, last night means nothing in the big picture. The Canadian coach is boasting his side will smoke the US both times we play.

+ Reply to Thread