+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 72 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to the important stuff....

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Back to the important stuff....

Well, I got the score right, US 2 Jam 1, but it was Morris with the game winner. Although, Dempsey was an inch from giving us a late lead.

It's always a good thing to win a tourney, and certainly we have reason to be pleased to be Gold Cup Champs. Some of our youngsters stepped up and seem to be on the verge of becoming legit world class players. Fine....but...

There is a reason we are ranked 35th in FIFA rankings. 32 teams make it to the World Cup finals (Russia, summer of 2018), most of those will be Top 30 ranked. The level of competition is waaaay better than what CONCACAF has to offer. Our weakness on the back line, and in the midfield, is still so glaring. Cameron and Brooks will anchor the defense, and Pulisic will bring exciting talent to our offense. But, for the most part, our WC team was on the field tonite.

I want to see Nagbe control the ball, at times slow it down, possess it, and orchestrate a build-up to an attack. And! as Arena has told him, at times Nagbe needs to be selfish, keep the ball, and create his own shot. IF one player holds the key to the US breaking thru into the Elite 8, or dare I think it, the Final Four in Russia, it's Nagbe. Granted he's got a lot of growing up to do and needs to improve quite a bit, but he has a year to Russia, and with the proper coaching and personal development Nagbe could be our new Claudio Reyna.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Well, I got the score right, US 2 Jam 1, but it was Morris with the game winner. Although, Dempsey was an inch from giving us a late lead.

It's always a good thing to win a tourney, and certainly we have reason to be pleased to be Gold Cup Champs. Some of our youngsters stepped up and seem to be on the verge of becoming legit world class players. Fine....but...

There is a reason we are ranked 35th in FIFA rankings. 32 teams make it to the World Cup finals (Russia, summer of 2018), most of those will be Top 30 ranked. The level of competition is waaaay better than what CONCACAF has to offer. Our weakness on the back line, and in the midfield, is still so glaring. Cameron and Brooks will anchor the defense, and Pulisic will bring exciting talent to our offense. But, for the most part, our WC team was on the field tonite.

I want to see Nagbe control the ball, at times slow it down, possess it, and orchestrate a build-up to an attack. And! as Arena has told him, at times Nagbe needs to be selfish, keep the ball, and create his own shot. IF one player holds the key to the US breaking thru into the Elite 8, or dare I think it, the Final Four in Russia, it's Nagbe. Granted he's got a lot of growing up to do and needs to improve quite a bit, but he has a year to Russia, and with the proper coaching and personal development Nagbe could be our new Claudio Reyna.
    Our two top defenders Brooks and Cameron weren't there. Arguably the best midfield we have Pulisic wasn't there. No Yedlin. No Bobby Wood.

Wood, Yedlin, Cameron, Brooks, and Pulisic. (I predict all five to be WC starters) I would say these five make a huge impact on the team. Pulisic on the pitch will change the way Nagbe is used and I think will give him more openings. You are correct that he needs to be selfish more. He can control the ball and I saw brief moments of that. Many times he was too quick to pass it away. I also give Jamaica credit. They really collapsed the field on defense. Stacking up eight in the box and cut off crosses very quickly.

I think we will start to see Arena start playing the WC starters together in the next cycle to get them used to playing together as a unit.

He used to the Gold Cup to see how well our subs operated. Some are better, some need some coaching and work. Acosta needs to grow more, but he is 22 and has good upside. I like the way he played with Bradley (who he might have to replace one day). The average age of this Gold Cup was 25! Third youngest Gold Cup group ever.

And perhaps the best thing of all, I like Arena's approach to the game over Klinsman's. He puts people where they are comfortable and strong and gives them help to succeed. Just look at the change in Bradley. He is more relaxed, patient, and aware of the game. Our defenders at least know their assignments and were much better in tracking them all night. There is no confusion of roles which happened all the time under Klinsman.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Arena is a much better coach than Klinsmann.

I don't see Bobby Wood as a WC starter. But, agree with the other four. So, essentially, we had 7 of 11 WC starters playing in the Gold Cup, from the quarterfinals on. Yedlin...hmmm...yeah, I suppose he'll be one of the first 11, thus a starter, but I'm not sold on him. Has flashes of brilliance mixed in with WTFs! Need consistency from midfielders. Yes, I think Arena will slate Yedlin as a MF rather than a marking back. If 100% healthy and fit Jermaine Jones is a better choice for that slot. If not, will Arena use a precious roster spot on Max McCarty? I don't see how he can.

It comes down to the same ole same ole with the US side. We don't have FOUR legit world class midfielders.

Yes, Arena had better put our best team out there for the upcoming WC qualifiers. We haven't secured a spot in Russia yet.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Woods has more international experience than Morris. Morris maybe has more athleticism. We need two strikers.

Jermaine Jones? Really? He looked awful in his last appearance. Out of shape and played rough. He was beaten several times. He is older than Deuce!

Dax is interesting, but I haven't seen enough of him yet. Anyway I think this WC team could be better than the one that went to Rio. I'm not worried about the rest of the schedule. El Ticos at home (already beat them in the Gold Cup). Panama at home. T&T on the road. Difficult to win in the road, but it's T&T.

Im counting Honduras as a loss on the road. Arena will probably play defensively and hope for the point.

This would secure us 3rd and a guanranteed spot in the WC.

We need two strikers? Well, I'm hoping Altidore will be one of those, and Pulisic can play striker. In fact, it's his best position. Below them could be Dempsey and Bradley as center MFers, Nagbe on a wing, and we need a 4th MF. In the back, Cameron and Brooks in the center, maybe Yedlin as right back and either Gonzalez, Zusi, or Besler on the left. Or, Yedlin as that 4th MF and then choose 2 of those 3 as marking backs.

As for Jermaine Jones, he had a HUGE 2014 WC in Brazil. He was steady and solid. He was, in fact, probably our MVP. But, he is old, that will be 4 years ago by the time of Russia, and so, yeah, maybe age has gotten him. That's why I qualified it by saying "if 100% healthy and fit."

I see potential in that Villazona (???) kid. Whatever his name is. He played left back last night. I like Dom Dwyer as a spot sub for instant offense. Yeah, it's Dax McCarty. I just can't see using a WC roster spot for him.

We dug ourselves a hole in the Hex starting 0-2 to the other two contenders for the top 3 spots, the auto-qualifiers. We left ourselves no margin for error. We NEED to win at home, and at T&T, which we should do. Honduras on the road? We crunched them at home, surely we can get some kind of result on the road there.

US Women's Team is struggling big time. Lost for the first time ever to Australia last night, 1-0. Opening match of the Tournament of Nations. We are now 25-2-1 all time vs. the Matildas.

Enjoyed the run of play, but they got a lucky bounce goal, and we just couldn't (can't) finish! Alex Morgan had three well-struck shots, Crystal Dunn had a great look INSIDE the 6-yard box, Rapinoe was missing badly on her open shots, and Carli Lloyd was so "not into it" I forgot she was even on the field. This marks THREE home losses in 2017. That is a record...and it's still only July. Next up...Brazil in the tourney.

Must still be suffering from that WC champion hangover...

So....it's Brazil 3 USA 1 80th minute.

Oh....it's Brazil 3 USA 4 90th minute (Full time)

We scored 3 goals in final 10 minutes to pull it out. The Women's team needed this boost. Have been sluggish and not finishing. They finished in the final 10 minutes tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    So....it's Brazil 3 USA 1 80th minute.

Oh....it's Brazil 3 USA 4 90th minute (Full time)

We scored 3 goals in final 10 minutes to pull it out. The Women's team needed this boost. Have been sluggish and not finishing. They finished in the final 10 minutes tonight.
    Ellis seems to be taking a page out of Klinsmann’s playbook. Lots of weird formations, new players out of position.

Awful goalkeeping. I mean hope solo was a bitch, but at least she knew what she was doing.

Yeah, Ellis is trying to develop young players, and is experimenting with veterans in different positions to see if they can be productive elsewhere to allow the youth on the field. For instance, she might want to develop young strikers but wants Alex Morgan out there to bring her leadership and experience to the mix. So, she might try Morgan in the midfield allowing Dunn, Pugh, and some others time up front. In the meantime, Morgan has to learn how to play MF and will look "out of place." I have no problem with experimenting in the non-WC cycle years. Bruce Arena is doing it now, IN a WC-cycle year. He did it in the early rounds of the Gold Cup.

The US Women's team is ranked #1 in the world in FIFA rankings. We are about one thing: winning World Cup titles. I hate to lose....even a friendly. The players hate to lose...even a friendly. But, one has to be mature about this and look at the big picture. We have to develop youth or the US's hold on the top of women's international soccer will fade away.

As for Keeper.....ouch! Even without Hope Solo surely we can do better than this.

But! last night was fun! We had the run of play and was much the better team, but Brazil made the most of their 6 shots, and we missed 15 shots, before hitting the net 3 of 3 down the stretch. Like the Australia lost, we ran circles around Brazil, who is ranked #7 in the world. But, we couldn't finish. Pugh missed from two yards out in front of a WIDE OPEN goal. Their Keeper was on the ground, out of the play, and Pugh missed! Gotta do better.

Wanna know why the USWNT is the best in the world? We have the best midfield, led by Rapinoe and Lloyd. Those two are the #1 and #2 best MFers in the world, and they both play for the USA. It's what our Men's team lacks.

I'm not worried, we will be ready for the 2019 WC. It's what we do....

Oh yeah, Rapinoe can handle the ball. Lloyd seemed a little missing the last two matches. Her creativity is vital to our team.

I am hoping a Nagbe/Pulisic tandem can one day get to that level. Time will tell. I do think Nagbe is improving with every match. He needs confidence more than anything. Klinsman wouldn't let him develop. I think Arena is pushing him like you said to be a little more stingy with the ball instead of passing it.

Interestingly enough a lot of people commented on Rapinoe's goal. She had help in front of the net with a better shot if she had passed the ball (her angle to shoot was terrible), but she was so determined to bury that ball in the net that she didn't even look to pass. It was always going to be her goal. I think Arena wants to see more of that demeanor from Nagbe.

Rapinoe over-powered the keeper with that shot. She hammered it. But, the prettiest goal of the night was Press' shot. Simply brilliant.

I have high hopes for Nagbe and Pulisic. The question(s) I have about Pulisic is what is his best position? I think, right now, it should be striker. Later on I see him developing into a true #10 and being our next Landon Donovan. In the international matches he's played, he has hung up top, did not retreat back often like a great #10 will do to help the defense. I think his instincts are as a striker. Nothing wrong with that. Would be nice for the USA to have our own Messi, Neymar, Ronaldo....

For the next two years, at least thru Russia 2018. I'd pair Pulisic with Altidore and have Bradley and Dempsey as center mids, Nagbe on one wing. Yeldin or someone else on the other wing. Midfield would effectively play a diamond formation with Dempsey on the point (offense) and Bradley in back (defense).

USA 3 Japan 0

Much better tonight.

back to the men's team...

WC qualifying resumes Sept 1 vs. Costa Rica. It's a home game, they skunked us 4-0 down at their place, so it's time for some payback. After that we hit the road at Honduras. Need 4 pts total out of these two matches. It would be quite an upset, a shocker, if we miss the WC finals. Say what? Yep, I mean the men's team.

Only SEVEN countries have qualified for every WC Final dating back to 1990. They are: Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Italy, Spain, South Korea, and the USA! Surprising, I know.

And there are big buck$ at stake. Qualifying for the WC Finals puts about $125 million into the coffers of that nation's federation.

Tonite!

Hopefully our offense can keep the ball and score a couple of goals. I like having Altidore, Dempsey, Pulisic, and Nagbe on the field at the same time. Fabian Johnson will play left mid, apparently, and he runs the overlaps well. Bradley is holding MF, and he'll be busy helping a depleted back line. Cameron is slated to start, but no John Brooks, out with an injury. Besler or Ream will fill in. Villafana and Zusi are most likely marking backs...about as good as we have right now. Yedlin is also out with the injury bug. So, half the for-sure #1 defense is out for tonite.
    Howard will be in goal.

Need the 3 pts. Just win.

+ Reply to Thread