+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 73 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to the important stuff....

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Back to the important stuff....

Out classed...

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Out classed...
    Some of the worst soccer I have seen played. Sloppy. No intensity.

I’m done with Bradley. Ream is no Brooks and was easily beaten.

I get it our best Defense was out tonight, but all the more reason to bunker down and play defensively rather than load the offensive side. Pulisic HAS to learn how to play BOTH sides of the pitch if he wants to wear the 10. Altidore was completely lost. Wood disappeared. Nagbe looked young.

All that being said. I had Mexico 1 and CR 2 out of Concacaf. We were always playing for that third spot.

We could use a Mexico win and a T&T win tonight.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Honduras 2 T&T 1
    Mexico 1 Panama 0

The best we can hope for now, more than likely, is to hang on to 4th and have to play (and win) that play-in match.

Costa Rica is legit good. They were screwed by the refs in Brazil vs. Netherlands and should have reached the WC semis. They are not a top 10 side because they lack the "style" up top, no world class striker(s). But, what they do very well is play team defense.

Pulisic got used and abused. He looked like an 18-yr-old kid vs. a legit international side. There is no reason to think he won't develop into one of the best players in US soccer history. But for now...he is a kid playing a man's game. Altidore continues to disappoint. I, and others, keep heaping praise and hope on him, and yet he lets us down in big games like last night. He is out for the Honduras game because of back to back yellows. No big deal.

We need to think "get a point" Tuesday at Honduras. Play three center backs, like we did to get a result at Azteca. Right now we are tied for 3rd with Honduras with 8 pts, and Panama sits in 4th with 7 pts. That means that one of the following: USA, Honduras, Panama will be close but OUT of the WC finals.

Going back to 1958 the US had lost ONE WC qualifier at home....we have lost twice in this cycle (Mexico and now CR).

Ream is a bad joke. Cameron was disappointing last night. He has been more solid and dependable, but he had an awful game. Both of their goals are shots that Howard usually, routinely stops. On the other hand, their goalie was awesome, including making that save on Pulisic's deflected shot that is as good as it gets. One of the best saves you'll ever see.

When we are bad.....we are REALLY bad. But, tip of the hat to CR. They are a solid, well-coached side.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

CR is a legit team.

I agree the first goal they scored was one that Howard usually stops in the past. You can see him losing a step. The problem is we haven’t bothered developing another legit goalie and have relied on Howard for too long. On the other side you can see why their goalie starts for Real Madrid. He made a save that should have been a goal 90% of the time. He put on a goalie clinic last night.

Altidore out is no big deal (he’s usually out even when he’s in ). Let Morris play up front. At this point I would rather be developing the younger Morris. Cameron didn’t pair well with Ream and it showed. Ream has no place playing at this level.

Mexico helped us out with a win over Panama. I think we have to get three in Honduras. They are the ones this is going to come down to. We will finish 3&4 and I would rather not have to do the play in game.

Remaining schedule

at Honduras
    Panama
    at T&T

Need 5 pts, with the 3 coming vs. Panama.

Now it all rests on Panama.

Yep! Bobby Wood equalizes in 85th minute. That was huge.

We have got to show up for this frickin' HOME game!

Some further thoughts on these past two matches.

1. Why the hell do we play Costa Rica in NYC? I understand that it doesn’t change the outcome of the game, but our own federation is selling our team out for ticket sales. Take Mexico for instance. They play us in Azteca because it gives them the largest advantage. Every other nation in concacaf uses their home field to their advantage which is why it is so hard to win on the road.

2. So where do we choose to play our last match against Panama where we need the win to make it to the WC? Orlando. Not Seattle, not Portland, and not where a huge American population base is.

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

I've got a question about the 2026 bid that Mexico, Canada and the US is submitting. If the bid is awarded, who gets the home team auto-bid?

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post
    Some further thoughts on these past two matches.

1. Why the hell do we play Costa Rica in NYC? I understand that it doesn’t change the outcome of the game, but our own federation is selling our team out for ticket sales. Take Mexico for instance. They play us in Azteca because it gives them the largest advantage. Every other nation in concacaf uses their home field to their advantage which is why it is so hard to win on the road.

2. So where do we choose to play our last match against Panama where we need the win to make it to the WC? Orlando. Not Seattle, not Portland, and not where a huge American population base is.
    For the 2014 WCQs I thought they were well placed, Mexico in Columbus and CR in Colorado (altitude and snow). This time it is almost like they want to give the team a reason to blame the crowds if we don't qualify.

My heart says that we will secure 3rd place, but my head says we will be in fourth place with a play in game.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by atobulldog View Post
    I've got a question about the 2026 bid that Mexico, Canada and the US is submitting. If the bid is awarded, who gets the home team auto-bid?
    They are bumping the number of teams from 32 to 48, so I'd imagine all 3 would get auto-bid

Quote Originally Posted by atobulldog View Post
    For the 2014 WCQs I thought they were well placed, Mexico in Columbus and CR in Colorado (altitude and snow). This time it is almost like they want to give the team a reason to blame the crowds if we don't qualify.

My heart says that we will secure 3rd place, but my head says we will be in fourth place with a play in game.
    We had Mexico in Columbus this time too.

As for the other question about who gets the auto-qualifier, I don't think it'll matter, unless you're Canada. The field is expanding from 32 to 48 teams. The US and Mexico are in anyway, even without an auto-invite. Still, an interesting question.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    We had Mexico in Columbus this time too.
    I think that was the right setting, we just screwed the pooch.

I don't always agree with Alexi Lalas. (He can be a pompous ass)

But his rant on the UMNT is spot on. Rich men having all the advantages in the world playing with zero passion and no urgency.

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post
    I don't always agree with Alexi Lalas. (He can be a pompous ass)

But his rant on the UMNT is spot on. Rich men having all the advantages in the world playing with zero passion and no urgency.
    Yeah....Alexi can be an ass at times. Except when I agree with him! And this time, I do.

+ Reply to Thread