+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 72 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to the important stuff....

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Re: Back to the important stuff....

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Talk is, of course, that Michael Bradley and Altidore and maybe a couple of other "older players" will be on the 23-man roster next year when WC qualifying starts for Qatar 2022. Altidore is what, 27? Should be in the prime of his athletic career, but he stays hurt. Christian Pulisic is hurt a lot too. Has missed 7 of the last 8 MNT's games due to nagging injuries.

Dempsey, the ole "bulldog," as he is referred to, has retired. Someone(s) need to step up and be that go-to guy up top.
    Bradley should not be called up again. His ball handling and passing is dreadful. Turnover machine. I think Klinsman ruined him because he used to be decent in midfield.

Injuries are a part of the game. Everyone has injuries. Altidore has had more than his fair share. Dempsey missed a lot of games because of injuries. You have to make your twos as good as your ones because of this. It should always be next man up. Thats why I think the next coach needs to assemble a group of 23 and keep that group pretty stable for two cycles. They can learn and grow together. I hope the next coach can create a scheme that works for our talent, and not force our talent to work into their scheme.

I don't think it will be Ramos. He should have taken the interim job and proven his worth.

Osorio is no longer available.

Marsch maybe if you want an American coach?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Bradley is a turnover machine, true. Which is why he'd make a decent defender or strictly Holding Midfielder. He gets in trouble in tight quarters when the MF is trying to mount an attack, create some possession. I think if he were allowed to do more clearing of the ball upfield when challenged, he'd do fine on the back line. There was a time, when his Dad coached, he was good. In fact, I thought he was a VERY good Holding Midfielder...even used the term "world class," when he peaked and was playing his best.

JK comes along and tries to convert him into a #10, I guess to bump LD out. But Bradley never adapted to being an Attacking Midfielder, except for a few flashes of brilliance. After LD retired, and one would think Bradley would settle into the #10 position, he actually got worse. He has been playing better for Toronto, but that is not world class, best of the best soccer.

I think a good coach could help Bradley salvage his MNT career and allow him to go out on a high note.

Did ya say coach??? Yeah, like, soon...okay guys.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Watched that Toronto v. Tigres match the other night. Toronto had Michael Bradley playing center back, on of three in a 5-man back line. It worked very well. The three center backs play a triangle formation with Bradley at the point, which effectively leaves a straight 4-man back line behind him. It worked until Toronto started losing discipline and shape of the formation...and T's lousy keeper allowed two goals in he should have stopped, and a T own goal. But Bradley is suited for such a role. His clearing balls, 30-40 yard outlet passes are very accurate. I can see him playing that for the USMNT.

Now....Altidore. All he did was run around losing the ball, making bad passes, and starting fights.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

That was a mess against Columbia.

Bradley just looked slow and old.

Defense was terrible.

Defense?

Starting with the single biggest flaw: Antonee Robinson. He is NOT a fullback. He has no clue and no desire to play defense. You could hear Columbia's coach shouting at his players to "attack through Robinson." As I have posted previously, Robinson has some potential as a left midfielder, but then only if we have a ultra strong left marking back shutting down that side. Because that marking back won't get any defensive help from Robinson to speak of.

But, last night, and in the current state of affairs, it's a lot worse than just Robinson. There is not a single defender, including Bradley, who is worth protecting for a roster spot. IF we ever get a new coach, he needs to advertise an open call for defenders for a try out camp. That said, during a transition period, say the next year or so, I can see Bradley retaining a spot provided he can coach a little. I think he can be effective as a TRUE holding midfielder, the one role he has performed well at. But, you're right, he has lost a step and even in that position his effectiveness is questionable.

There is no one in the midfield, save for some flashes of offensive brilliance, who has demonstrated they can advance to some, even remotely, "world-class" status. Midfield is all about playing defense and holding the ball. Possession....possession....possession. Some casual soccer fans don't understand what that really means. It is NOT about casual passes and the clock ticking so you garner more TOP. It's about QUALITY possession. It's about denying the opposing midfield the ball! That means tough and skillful tackling. Taking the ball away and then being able to ward off the other dude's attempts to take it back. Even the greatest midfielders of all time lose the ball....for a few seconds. That's right, they quickly took it back again. And, just as importantly, when a world class midfielder's side does not have the ball, their defensive pressure forces the other guys to focus ALL of their attention on just keeping the ball. Meaning, NO WAY can then even think about mounting an offensive attack. It's those subtle aspects of the game that some sports' fans fail to appreciate. And it's what separates the pretenders from those with little stars on their uniforms.

This is the worst I have seen the US Men's National Team in my lifetime. We have hit rock bottom.

By stark contrast, the US Women's National Team is the best in the world. Our second string would form the core of a Top 10 side. Yes, CONCACAF is an even bigger joke on the women's side, than the men's, and so the USWNT is making a mockery of WC qualifying. In case you missed it we swept thru pool play, 3 matches, outscoring Mexico, Panama, and T&T by a combined 18-0. And with just a little luck, it could have been 30-0. Alex Morgan clanked the woodwork 7 times herself in the 3 games.

The USWNT is to CONCACAF what Bama would be to CUSA in football. The very best team in the very worst league.

Very business-like....

US 6 Jamaica 0

Next up a pretty good Canada side for the CONCACAF title, on Wednesday. Being played in Frisco.

Last night... USMNT 1 Peru 1

Typical friendly, Peru, the better team did just enough to get some kind of result. Took yet another defensive mistake by the US, in this case, Yedlin, in the 86th min to give up the equalizer.

Tonite….USWNT 2 Canada 0

Canada is the #5 ranked team in the world, and they are tough. Expected a hard-fought match, and got one. US's midfield is in transition and we are still searching for adequate replacements for Rapinoe and Lloyd, who were the #1 and #2 best players in the world. Both will be part of the 23-player roster for France, 2019, but Lloyd will be used sparingly, a super-sub in France, and Rapinoe has lost a step as well.

For now, the USWNT is CONCACAF champions, a perfect 5-0, and outscoring the opposition by a combined 26-0.

USWNT is the juggernaut in the soccer world. They have no real challengers, and other countries just don’t develop women’s soccer the same way we do in America.

Unfortunately the reverse is true of the USMNT. I think we have found our front three that will be together for the next two cycles...Weah, Sargent, and Pulisic. The problem is our back line and midfield. Left back continues to be a problem Robinson now Yedlin. Yedlin was better but still made a mental mistake that led to the equalizer. Our opponents are just going to continue to attack the left side until we do something about it.

Not sure how I feel about a possible HC with no international experience like Berghalter.

The problem is our back line and midfield....OH! is that all? And here I was concerned....

Just messing with ya! I know you know what drives the train in futbol.

I played left back at Tech, and again in a semi-pro league, we were sponsored by an Italian restaurant and had the, ahem, most colorful uniforms... At Tech, our coach, Hugo, a former World Cup player for Venezuela, before that country descended into communism, told me I was playing left back, even though my left was average, at best, because he wanted me to clear the ball, when I had to, by changing fields. Being a strong right footer aided in that endeavor.

I digress....the USMNT has had a left back problem, well, forever! Beasley did okay at it...not great....but okay, because he was an overall good player. But even he never played the position correctly. Defenders are a special breed. Not everyone is cut out to handle it.

Yeah, we need a good coach. International experience is a plus....though it didn't seem to help JK. Mostly, we need a coach who will teach fundamentals! Especially positioning for the back line and midfield.

I think Yedlin could be made into a left back. He’s just not natural at it yet. He needs to develop that position as his primary.

Beasley was the best left back we’ve ever had. Again not saying much, but there is a reason he kept getting called up by HCs. He wasn’t natural at it, but he could clear the ball.

Maybe there’s someone out there who might be a diamond in the rough. U-17 player or something that we could develop.

Yedlin is right footed. He usually plays right back. He may have subbed in as center back vs. Peru, but that is not his usual position. He is listed as a right back on the USMNT roster. Now, that's not to say he couldn't play left back....many primary right-footers do. If he's pretty good with his left, especially making crosses, he could play left back.

But, I am not impressed with him either as a defender. He's had some good moments when playing right mid, but I haven't seen anything that makes me think he's a rock on the back line.

Great game last night in the MSL playoffs! Wow! between bitter rivals Seattle and Portland, 2nd leg of the western conference semis. Match had everything. Back and forth, beautiful goals, drama all over the place. Ultimately decided in a shootout, won by Portland 4-2.

Seattle's striker, Raul Ruidiaz is awesome, very dynamic player.

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/ma...s/video/178696

Atlanta United beats Portland for the MLS Cup in front of 72K LOUD fans in Atlanta. Love the crowd! Never stopped chanting and cheering. There is nothing like an involved soccer crowd.

in other news....

US Women drew Thailand, Chile, and Sweden for their group for the 2019 World Cup in France. The schedule will have the US playing Thailand and then Chile so we should be sitting on 6 pts and thru to the knockout round heading into the Sweden match. They should be too. According to the pundits, the US would be better off NOT winning the pool as the runner-up actually gets an easier path to the finals, avoiding both host France and Germany, on that side of the bracket.

But, we are the USA and we're all about winning! As Tobin Heath said last night, if our goal is to win the WC, which it is, then might as well face, and beat, France/Germany in the quarterfinals or semifinals. Have to beat them anyway to win a second straight WC title.

My biggest concern for '19 is Carli Lloyd is past her prime and will be a role player, getting minimal minutes, and Megan Rapinoe has lost a step as well. And no one has stepped up to fill that void for the US. We enter the 2019 WC Finals without a dominating midfield. We are very good, yes, but not dominating, crushing, like we were in 2015.

Very few, if any, men's or women's soccer programs repeat as WC champions. It's hard enough to win one, virtually impossible to repeat.

The Gregg Berhalter era begins with a win... US 3 Panama 0

Outside of Michael Bradley and Zardes it was 9 newcomers. I like the youth movement, it's absolutely necessary to start over with brand new players. Three years to the next WC Finals, so there is time to build a competitive team that can at least qualify for the Finals, and then advance out of pool play.

Mostly I like the attacking style Berhalter brings. Very refreshing to see an aggressive scheme. I'm cautiously optimistic we will have something to be excited about, and proud of, again.

Berhalter is 2-0. US 2 Costa Rica 0

Second goal was spectacular! Paul Arriola finished it with a great chip, but the whole attack was started by the US keeper with a perfect outlet pass, a great header to a runner, a pass with perfect weight, and then the finish. End to end on the pitch and in a matter of a few seconds. Great stuff!

I'm already loving the Berhalter era, just two games in.

+ Reply to Thread