+ Reply to Thread
Page 72 of 73 FirstFirst ... 226270717273 LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 1082

Thread: Back to the important stuff....

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Back to the important stuff....

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
    I am sorry, but Berhalter's style is dragging one of the most talented young groups we have ever had, into one of the most boring unproductive teams we have ever had!! Just look at how the team was attacking and playing with energy while he was "unhired" (since he wasn't fired) and before he was rehired. Same players slightly different coaching philosophy and a huge difference in quality. We need a new coach now, so they have almost the whole cycle before '26.
    I don't disagree with you about Berhalter. He sucks.

It was looking like a defeat last night, that although we enjoyed the run-of-play for most of the match, the same ugly crap was holding us back in the attacking 1/3. Even on corners we NEVER, EVER put someone on the back door, never! And 9 out of 10 times our corner kick sails over everyone's head, lands harmlessly 5 yards from the opposite post and not a US player there to take advantage of it. Our women's side does the same thing.

More to the point, lousy set pieces aside, it pains me to watch again and again a good buildup through the midfield only to have us squander the opportunity time after time....predictably. 90% of the time I can predict EXACTLY why that particular attack will fail, which player won't be where he needs to be and almost like DeJa'Vu watch it happen, like a frickin' replay. In the extra time an exhausted Jamaica defense finally was worn down and Geo Reyna made two perfect passes to Hadji Wright who finished both beautifully. Neither of those successful attacks had a damn thing to do with Berhalter, but rather two good players hooking up and, as I said, an absolutely exhausted Jamaican defense unable to respond quickly enough.

Our backline is now our biggest concern talent/experienced-wise. Scally got used like a clueless Under 12 defender on their early goal. Our defense scares me to death. And it will fail when it matters most like in the Olympics and the World Cup. It's funny that now after years and years of lacking a good midfield and a stable of world class strikers, the talent is there to be successful in international futbol. But now we lack the coaching.

There was some talk on a blog I follow on US Soccer, that Berhalter is operating with a very short leash. One poster claims had we lost last night Berhalter would have been fired today. I doubt that but hope it's true he's on a very short leash.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Oh the corners and set pieces drive me mad... there should be a back post and a run hitting the corner of the 6-yard box every time. Especially because I could put a dime on the spot Pulisic puts it every time!! What upsets me most is that going into the last cup and this cycle they made a point to let it be known they had a set piece/corners coach on staff dedicated to it. We have never been worse at them. I think we have a handful of good young defenders, but we need to call them up and play the hell out of them before '26.

I don't know if they would have fired him either, but he needs to go, and I am willing to suffer through whatever it takes. Everyone keeps saying the players love him.. well I am sure there is a group of about 15-16 that do because he will play them even to the detriment of the team.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

US vs. Mexico tonight for the Nation's League title.

I despise Mexico and their army of arrogant, disgusting fans. Have been around them before at matches, they are vile...and I am being as nice as I can

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

I have been in the middle of their fans before and that was the most unsafe I have felt in my life, and I have been in some bad places and situations. This Mexican squad isn't a great squad, and we are more talented currently, but I have zero faith in any Berhalter squad to play anything other than down to the level of our opponent or worse. Plus, with the bad blood between them and us, even on home turf I am always nervous.

Dos a cero! (for the 10th time in history)

Adams and Reyna with awesome goals! Solid performance by Tim Ream anchoring the back line.

And eff Mexico and their classless fans.

USA!

And, kudos to Berhalter for that starting 11. I think he got that right, at least. Dest is so much fun to watch, McKennie is solid and the way both Adams and Reyna played in the midfield, I like it!

Until FIFA puts some real punishments for fans around the world that use racial and sexual slurs it's not going to stop. FIFA is too corrupt to do anything with real teeth. Last time they "punished" the Mexican federation for this happening during a men's game the federation got hit with a one game with no fans allowed. So, Mexico made their women play their next home game without fans, so they technically complied with FIFA. I was really surprised there were no lasers in the keepers' eyes at this match, like there usually is when Mexico has fans in any stadium.

Dos a cero- just has to really sting now.

I will give Berhalter credit for last night's line up. I am always glad for any win, but especially against Mexico.

Semifinals of the SheBelieves Cup USWNT vs. Japan this Saturday. Good to see Mallory Swanson back, off her injury last year.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Semifinals of the SheBelieves Cup USWNT vs. Japan this Saturday. Good to see Mallory Swanson back, off her injury last year.
    USWNT 2 Japan 1

gave up a goal in the first 30 seconds, but managed to secure the win anyway.

We have so much talent, athleticism, skills, on this team we are simply underachieving. I think Kilgore is doing a "good" job, but we need someone who will turn these players loose and let them reach their full potential. I hope Hayes proves to be that coach. I fear she will try to instill too much of the old English/European style of play which will hold this bunch back. Turn 'em loose!

Jaedyn Shaw, the next super star of the USWNT? She certainly has all the look of becoming one. I like her in the #10 slot, not only her scoring, but her defense and her ability to possess and pass the ball.

When Carli Lloyd retired I said those would be tough shoes to fill. Lloyd was one of the best all-time, her relentless, unending, never-wavering pursuit of excellence stands out and makes her one of the GOATs in the history of the sport. Lindsey Horan was thrust into that role, and I posted I had my doubts...but to be fair, how does anyone follow a GOAT? And to be doubly fair, kudos to Horan for stepping up and doing her best. She has been a tireless leader during a "bad" time in the history of the USWNT. Horan has impressed me with the way she has handled being captain, never complaining, never blaming anyone, never whining, just proudly wearing that USA uniform and being a warrior match after match. And, also a testament to her character, she didn't whine when Shaw started in the #10 role vs. Japan. Many athletes would have been insulted thinking they had been dissed. If Horan was harboring any such ill thoughts, maybe upset with Coach Kilgore, she certainly didn't show it. She accepted her starting slot on the left of the midfield and played just as hard, and as well, as she had before. Pure class.

Lindsey Horan can play on my team anytime. She has talent, she is a great player, and most importantly, she has that attribute I admire the most, a pure team player, unselfish.

As for Jaedyn Shaw, wow! if she is this good at 19, and she gets the kind of coaching/development I think Emma Hayes will bring, then there is no limit just how great Shaw can be. Along with a whole stable of youngsters: Sophia Smith, Mallory Swanson, Trinity Rodman, Sam Coffey, Emma Fox, Naomi Girma, who has already cemented herself as the heir to "The Rock of the Defense" Becky Sauerbrunn, etc...the future is bright for the USWNT.

I think there are several young ladies that are ready to breakout, and if Hayes can develop them like I think she can we will be right back at the top for a long time. Now, saying that, I don't think we will dominate like we have in the past because I think the game is so much better (and that's a good thing). As long as you are a top 4 team you have a good chance to win every tournament you are in.

A replay of the Gold Cup semifinal. Naeher comes up big with another 3 saves in the PK shootout and scored one herself. Bogus penalty called against us, again, late, when the other side needed a tying goal. That said, Dunn should know better to even get that close while in the box.

Saw flashes of brilliance, especially our second goal...good stuff. But the same ole, same ole as we simply don't know how to finish in the attacking 1/3. I think we are too unselfish. Looking for that next pass instead of just pounding a shot when there is an opportunity...take the frickin' shot! And we got burned on defense, carbon copy of the early Jap goal allowed, with this one tossing in some WTF for Naeher. It's okay to push outside backers up the line on offense, but then someone has to rotate back! That is Soccer Defense 101.

Kilgore completed her tenure as acting-head coach and did a nice job. Now, it's on to the next era and whoa! we have some work to do.

The first half goal was just a bad tactical decision, you are right a WTF play. The first half we didn't control the midfield.. Horan was drifting to far to the right or left, and everyone was trying to float and let others have space to create, but it was too much. Shaw played the traditional 10 spot in the second half and that should have been a 2-1, 3-1 win. I agree that was a bad call on the penalty as well. I do think last nights line up was a little green and thats saying something for this group since they are all so young, but I am fine with it The Olympics only allow 18 players on the roster so they needs some game time action to make sure they have evaluated every one they are even thinking about taking.

They will have to figure out how to have Rose Lavelle and Shaw on the field at the same time, since the 10 seems to be boths best spot. I know they want to get Morgan back to being the central target up front, but she an Smith also need to be up top at the same time. We have plenty of talent, Now its Hayes job to develop their tactical skills more and find a formation to make the most of the talent.

I like the "double 6" alignment, and with a little coaching, I think Horan and probably Coffey (that's who I would start there) could do a great job, especially against the world's elite. Which reminds me I neglected to mention some huge shoes to fill...Julie Ertz. The very reason Kilgore has used that "double 6" alignment is trying to replace Ertz as the 6. Like Carli Lloyd, Ertz is a GOAT in her position and really tough to replace.

As for other retired, or retiring, GOATS there is Becky Sauerbrunn. I am liking what I am seeing from Naomi Girma...and thankfully her injury sustained in the Japan game appears to be minor. But, Girma has not really been tested yet. Yeah, she played in the World Cup, and that's as big a test there is, and she performed well. But then expectations were not particularly high, so she was given leeway to garner experience and her numerous "oops" at the World Cup have been dismissed as a learning experience. And, I agree with that assessment. But now heading into the Olympics, the center of our defense is hers, and there can be no more "learning on the job," she has to really step and anchor the defense. You want to know what a world class center defender looks like? Go back and watch the replays of Sauerbrunn in the 2015 World Cup finals. Seven matches of perfection.

You will note I have mentioned Lloyd (a 10), Ertz (a 6) and Sauerbrunn, center defender...strength right up the middle of the alignment.

Christine Press, 35, attempting a comeback. She might make it back to her club team, but her USWNT career is over. She was among the best in her prime, with a strong shot from distance. Torn ACL and then a long recovery after complications ended her international career. Hope she's able to play again, for her club.

+ Reply to Thread