+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 73 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to the important stuff....

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Back to the important stuff....

When I coached soccer, I spent the bulk of the time teaching defense. I know all of these players, who have ascended to this level, are skilled and have been taught proper defending techniques. In other words, I'm sure they know what to do. Yet...they seem to forget during matches.

It's quite simple, really: mark up goal side and do NOT allow the player you are marking any space. That's it!

Except, for the USMNT, our back 4 seem to have brain farts and allow attacking players to create space. Happened several times last night. With just a little bit of luck, Honduras could have/should have scored 3. Against quality strikers, the US gets burned often.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

I talked to a kid who was reffing a U-8 game my kid was on. He told me you have no idea how much the game speeds up the higher you get. One of his best friends was a top player in the state of Louisiana and worked out with the U-17 team, he said it's crazy fast and it only picks up from there.

Defense is about limiting mistakes especially at the highest levels. Speed kills when marking space especially if you have a good ball distributor. One of the most unnoticed players on the pitch yesterday was Altidore. Dempsey got a hattrick but Altidore was sharp with his distraction and distribution. He would draw people off and let someone else take the goal with quick passes.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Tim Ream should never be called up again...ever.

The refs let this game get ugly quickly.

Jones is out of shape and probably shouldn't have started.

That said, we are in 4th place. With a home win vs. Trinidad and a road draw at Azteca (very difficult) we should be ok.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Glad to get some kind of result. Right now any point(s) on the road are good.

It's good to see both of the national teams with two young legit number 10s.

Pulisic and Lavelle are going to be forces for years to come.

Bradley has got to go. He's becoming a liability.

I'm ready to see what Acosta can do.

At one time I thought MB was one of the best holding midfielders in the world. Klinsmann messed with things and moved him up as an attacking MF....I think Klinsmann may have even thought MB could become a #10. But, even when MB was back as a holding MF, his game never returned. He's a turnover machine. If he stays on the roster he might make a good marking back, like Beasley transitioned to late in his career.

vs. T & T tonite. Have to have the 3 pts tonite. Nothing less than a "W" will do.

Got 3. It's what we needed. Qualification picture looks pretty good right now.

Sunday in Azteca will be brutal. (Always is) I kind of expect a 2-4-4 and going for the point with Arena. I think a point on the road in Azteca is as good as a win.

Again, our future looks good. Yedlin, Acosta, Vilifana, and of course Pulisic continue to impress and grow.

Worried that our experienced players are looking tired. Deuce was lost several times. Bradley. Howard struggled uncharacteristicly.

We are not very good.

Struggled to dispatch a last place T & T. Yeah, did enough to get the 3, but we were lucky too. Our defense sucks. Why it is so difficult to understand the concept of close marking, especially in the box, is beyond me. And where are our MFers consistently getting back in the defending 1/3? Sometimes some of them get back...but never all of them. Then, they are AWOL in the attacking 1/3 too at times. Why have a MF if they won't play it right? Just add defenders and strikers and skip the midfield.

I thought Howard had a good game. Maybe not one of his best, but he did have some saves and made a couple of nice plays to cut off the pass, before a shot could be taken. Given how pathetically weak our back 4 is, any GK who can keep a clean sheet must have done something right. He, and we, got lucky when that header went off the bar.

Pulisic is the real deal...as a striker. But, as a #10 leaves a lot to be desired getting back, even into the midfield. Donovan was awesome at covering ALL of the attacking 2/3...and even saved the day at times in the defending 1/3 in key games. Pulisic is just a kid, and no doubt will grow and continue to develop into the GREAT player we know he'll be. He has already mastered being a striker...if that is his position.

If we get a point at Azteca, I'll be thrilled!

I'll take it.

Brilliant goal by MB, and a solid performance from our back 4, especially Geoff Cameron.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I'll take it.

Brilliant goal by MB, and a solid performance from our back 4, especially Geoff Cameron.
    A point at Azteca. That is a huge result. Mexico doesn't lose at Azteca.

I was surprised by the Guzan pick, but Arena's game plan was solid.

Cameron was great. Solid Defense.

And we are much closer to qualifying for the WC.

Now that we passed the Azteca test, an even larger test looms: home to Costa Rica*. We need to get 3 pts and get some payback. Getting the "W" vs. CR will also assure, or practically assure, we are Russia-bound in '18. I feel a lot better about our chances now.

* I don't mean beating CR at home is harder than getting a result at Azteca, of course not. But, it's the key match for US to qualify for the WC Finals. Arena has been pointing to that match for months and even spoke about it prior to last night's game. We NEED the 3 pts at home. It's what is expected and it's what separates those clubs moving on from those who can only watch the Finals on TV.

Sept. 1 — HOME vs. Costa Rica (TBA)
    Sept. 5 — AWAY to Honduras
    Oct. 6 — HOME vs. Panama (Orlando, Fla.)
    Oct. 10 — AWAY to Trinidad and Tobago

Need 6 pts from HOME games and at least 2 pts from AWAY games, giving US 16 pts at the end of the Hex and that should be good enough to secure a top 3 finish and an automatic qualifier to WC Finals.

The Ticos at home should be a tough test. They are a legit team and will qualify for the WC in 18. (El Tri, Ticos, US are my top three)

I also feel we could steal the away game at T&T. I mean it's a road game, but Azteca it is not.

+ Reply to Thread