+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Louisiana immediately halts TOPS payments to colleges, universities in face of budget

Champ ChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond repute ChipDog's Avatar

Re: Louisiana immediately halts TOPS payments to colleges, universities in face of bu

If the new Louisiana Governor would simply place a dollar limit cap on TOPS awards to cover his shortfall Tech could come out of this thing better than before. Everyone could read from trusted sources that Tech gives the best educational bang for your newly shrunken TOPS buck. And with our biggest in-state competitor, lsu, for top grade students charging a higher tuition, Tech "should" be the Tier 1 college of choice leaving less of a tuition gap for mom and dad to pay. I would like our chances in this scenario even better than the way it has been since the beginning of the TOPS program.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Louisiana immediately halts TOPS payments to colleges, universities in face of bu

Quote Originally Posted by ChipDog View Post
    If the new Louisiana Governor would simply place a dollar limit cap on TOPS awards to cover his shortfall Tech could come out of this thing better than before. Everyone could read from trusted sources that Tech gives the best educational bang for your newly shrunken TOPS buck. And with our biggest in-state competitor, lsu, for top grade students charging a higher tuition, Tech "should" be the Tier 1 college of choice leaving less of a tuition gap for mom and dad to pay. I would like our chances in this scenario even better than the way it has been since the beginning of the TOPS program.
    I wonder if this is being considered.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    I wonder if this is being considered.
    I doubt it. Common sense business approaches like ChipDog's would favor some schools over certain schools that politicians would scream about.

Remember the "merit" thing that LaTech earned many times over and over, but never received the full benefits they were promised?

Big Dog Avi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the rough Avi8r's Avatar

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I love it when libtards scream about the guvmint running out of money and "the state" or "the nation" is in jeopardy! And......so?

Taxes....hmmmm....now, whose money is that? Oh, that's right, OURS! The guvmint produces NOTHING, all it does is take. Guvmint exists to serve US, not the other way around. Okay, that rhetoric aside, what is a practical way to resolve this "crisis?" There are legislators, Frank Howard for one, who are insisting that Baton Rouge clean its own house first. There are a $1 billion in state contracts to provide services for.....??? No one seems to know exactly what "the state" hopes to get out of them. Seems to me, and other sensible folks, that a review of these contracts would reveal that the vast majority could be cancelled, others reduced, and a savings of $hundreds of millions realized.

There are vacant positions that need to remain unfilled, and others where when someone retires or leaves, can go unfilled. The bureaucracy needs to SHRINK big time!!! One legislator, name escapes me, said these two measures: state contracts and state employees alone would eliminate the budget deficit, without any new taxes. Another source has told me, no, it won't eliminate the budget gap, but would take a huge chunk out of it, enough to eliminate this "crisis" and allow sensible people time to make better decisions to fix the state's budget. Now.....I don't know who these "sensible people" are, but I don't believe any of them currently work in BR.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

How bout a constitutional amendment to UNDO all of the constitutional amendments that created "trust funds" that cannot be touched in times of crisis?

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Which candidate for governor campaigned for calling a constitutional convention?

Varsity Bulldog sportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of lightsportkid is a glorious beacon of light sportkid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    How bout a constitutional amendment to UNDO all of the constitutional amendments that created "trust funds" that cannot be touched in times of crisis?
    Apparently all you can discuss in a Special Session is what's listed in the call of the special session. Looks like our governor did not list that as an option to discuss although I think most reasonable people feel this should be done and the way to tackle this budget issue.

+ Reply to Thread