+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Brees

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Drew Brees

Was the one Super Bowl worth the irrelevance that the Saints are about to become?

1 player = 30,000,000 hit to the salary cap.

I don't think any player in the NFL today is worth that hit.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Drew Brees

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post
    Was the one Super Bowl worth the irrelevance that the Saints are about to become?

Of course not. What means more to him? His relationship with the union or the team?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Drew Greed. He would sue his own mother...oh! That's right he did.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

For me, yes.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Drew Greed. He would sue his own mother...oh! That's right he did.
    Well I guess he at least didn't hit his mother like Dez Bryant did his two years ago.

That said, last week Brees and the Saints just guaranteed a portion of his salary ($10.85MM of $20MM) so that will probably lead to freeing up a bunch with continued negotiations.
    Also, "Peyton Manning had an excellent year at 37, a pretty good year at 38, then the wheels came off at 39 (this year).

When Drew Brees is 38 - Fall 2017 - according to Overthecap, the Saints would have zero dead money and be at or near the top 10 in cap room."

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

I'd say yes - worth every penny. You pay players to win and he did/has. That Super Bowl was huge for the organization and fans.

Besides, they are about to extend his contract and reduce the $30M cap hit.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

You pay players to win? Well, coming off back to back 7-9 seasons Drew Greed needs to take a pay cut then. He lost! He is the reason the Saints are in this mess. His huge salary has caused the Saints to lose dozens of players who did contribute to winnings seasons. They are gone...Greed is still here....and we have lost. Slash that salary by 70% and let's start rebuilding a winning team again.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    His huge salary has caused the Saints to lose dozens of players who did contribute to winnings seasons.
    I'm not sure this is an accurate statement.

Yes, dozens! There were, in 2015, only 4....I think it was 4....players still on the team that also played in 2009, the Super Bowl year. Greed, Colston, and a couple of others. The fact a roster is 53 players for any year, and even that can fluctuate due to injuries, the total of different players could be 60 or more. Now, subtract out "the 4" and you get 56. And 56 X 6 seasons = 336 players. Now, of course, most of that number held for several seasons, i.e. a player came in 2011 and was on the Saints' roster thru the 2014 season, for instance. So there weren't 336 different individuals, of course. But there were enough changes for me to be able to say "dozens."

I'll say it again: dozens and dozens and dozens!!!!

Well, you might say, well Hell! why didn't some of them just agree to keep playing at a lesser salary then? Why did some leave on their own volition and test the free agency waters? Because they saw the example set by Drew Greed, who is hailed as the team leader, and when the Saints refused to agree to those higher salary demands, citing they had to appease Mr. Greed instead, players left. BUT!!! some players wanted to stay even at their current salaries but there was no room for them in the cap because Greed had to get a $gazillion raise! Like Jay Dardenne got!

These are indisputable facts.

Now, by contrast, Tom Brady, who has been WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more successful than Greed in winning championships, has turned back $millions to the Pats so they could sign, and re-sign key players. That is why Brady is a winner every year...and Drew Greed is a loser, who just gets richer.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Can't even discuss the salary cap implications of his star QB's contract without bringing up the Cowboys. Obsessed.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Saints currently 8.37mil under cap

Andrew Schuster ‏@TheSaintsDish 14m14 minutes ago Assuming the NFL salary cap is $155M, with Ellerbe & Jordan restructures, #Saints should now be approximately $8.37M under the cap for 2016.

This is without an extension to Brees and with contracts like Colston, Browner, Streif, Byrd still unsure as what will happen with them.

GM Loomis "we're freeing up money and figuring out exactly how to make this work the best for all of us."

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Not going to look it up, but I seem to remember back when Brees first came, he proved he was capable of being the star QB the Saints were hoping for. He and the Saints came up with a contract where Drew took less money so they could build the team up and he lived with that contract while the Saints benefited from his discounted services. When his contract was up for renewal, the Saints stepped up and payed him.

Yes it's hurting now but, if I'm remembering things correctly, it seems like Drew made a pretty good sacrifice a few years ago. It wasn't his fault the Saints were robbed by Goodell and the NFL of a year or two of what could have been championship years when he was still under the discounted contract.

But maybe I'm not remembering the situation correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    Not going to look it up, but I seem to remember back when Brees first came, he proved he was capable of being the star QB the Saints were hoping for. He and the Saints came up with a contract where Drew took less money so they could build the team up and he lived with that contract while the Saints benefited from his discounted services. When his contract was up for renewal, the Saints stepped up and payed him.

Yes it's hurting now but, if I'm remembering things correctly, it seems like Drew made a pretty good sacrifice a few years ago. It wasn't his fault the Saints were robbed by Goodell and the NFL of a year or two of what could have been championship years when he was still under the discounted contract.

But maybe I'm not remembering the situation correctly.
    Remember this: the Chargers gave Brees an unconditional release. The Dolphins called him in and then declined to sign him due to concerns about his shoulder. And then the Saints RESCUED his dead career by taking a HUGE chance on him and his bum shoulder. Brees owes the Saints EVERYTHING, and the Saints owe him NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah...it has worked out fairly well for the Saints, as Brees is one of the better QBs in the league, granted. But, come on man! Brees should be forever grateful for his pro career being saved, and he should be more than willing to work with the organization to allow them to build/keep a winning team.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Listening to Fox on the radio this evening on the way home it sounded to me like the Saints & Brees are talking about restructuring. Something like a $6 - 7 million reduction. My take away was they all know they have a problem, Saints management & players, and they're working on it. It's not some sweet kumbayah moment, it's practical business contract work.

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    Listening to Fox on the radio this evening on the way home it sounded to me like the Saints & Brees are talking about restructuring. Something like a $6 - 7 million reduction. My take away was they all know they have a problem, Saints management & players, and they're working on it. It's not some sweet kumbayah moment, it's practical business contract work.
    Exactly.

+ Reply to Thread