+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Wyly Tower to be demolished

Varsity Bulldog Kodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the rough

Re: Wyly Tower to be demolished

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    I heard a rumor it was no longer being demo'd.
    It's still being demolished. Bids are still be prepared.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    I heard a rumor it was no longer being demo'd.
    The initial planning money for the new building - $150,000 - was vetoed by Governor Edwards. I suspect Tech will either quietly raise the money privately or wait until next year. Edwards line-item vetoed $44 million from the state construction budget.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    The initial planning money for the new building - $150,000 - was vetoed by Governor Edwards. I suspect Tech will either quietly raise the money privately or wait until next year. Edwards line-item vetoed $44 million from the state construction budget.
    I sure hope we were able to get all these new rest areas in place before he started cutting.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

I just saw in the on line Tech Talk that Harper and Pierce were to be demolished. Has this been announced earlier?

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

http://www.thetechtalk.org/tech-look...arking-issues/

King said the university is also looking into purchasing land off of California Avenue where the doughnut shop is located.“The abandoned rail to Carson-Taylor/ Nethkin (to the east) — this eventually will be spot for a (parking) garage,” he said. “There’s a finite amount of land. At some point as you add population and cars, you have to start thinking about stacking them. We need some overlays. We’re resurfacing the women’s softball and Mitchell (Dorm) lots this summer. The overall master plan calls for the greening of campus, making it pedestrian friendly.”
    He said the housing project will begin in August. King noted the following things: the Early Childhood Education Center is to be moved. The old Kappa Sigma building is being renovated, along with parking around it: curbs, gutters, landscapes, lights, etc.
    King said many of the plans will soon be falling into place toward the future development.
    “Pierce Lumber will be a site for new housing with the bid next week, and construction to begin in August,” King said. “We will have an abatement and demolition contractor on this site by next week.”
    New housing construction is set to start in August.
    “We will tear down Harper and Pierce Halls, shifting the population,” King said.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

That's where I saw it. Just a short little blurb in the last sentence,

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

O Tech thy lots so bountiful
    Thy parking stalls, thy lack of trees.
    That charmed me in my auto days
    For all thy parking's free.

Those old Tech days, those motor days
    So cherished in mom's old minivan
    I never had to walk to class
    I drive because I can.

alternate ending:
    Those old Tech days, those motor days
    Kind of like a distance degree
    I don't remember much of it
    We paved thy history.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

greatness!

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan;1596548[B
    ]I just saw in the on line Tech Talk that Harper and Pierce were to be demolished. [/B] Has this been announced earlier?
    Tech's long-term plan - going back more than 20 years - was to eventually tear down all of the high-rise dorms. Harper is the last one standing. However, the recent plans that we've seen did not have it coming down in this wave of campus improvements. The two dorms that were supposed to come down were Graham and Pierce. New apartment dorms were going up in their place. I wonder if that's changed.

Champ CutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to behold

There go all my fond dorm menories. . . . . .

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

"they paved paradise and put up a parking lot"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbp6mgIXa64

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Tech's long-term plan - going back more than 20 years - was to eventually tear down all of the high-rise dorms. Harper is the last one standing. However, the recent plans that we've seen did not have it coming down in this wave of campus improvements. The two dorms that were supposed to come down were Graham and Pierce. New apartment dorms were going up in their place. I wonder if that's changed.
    Harper needs to come down first; it's a big burden on the maintenance budget for housing and that was a decade ago.

Also, realize everywhere Tech puts in a gravel parking lot you just need to see it as Future buildings. Short term gravel lots satisfy students and make long term growth easier. It's much easier to get approval from ULS if you present an empty gravel lot ready for immediate construction.

Quote Originally Posted by CutiePie72 View Post
    There go all my fond dorm menories. . . . . .
    You talking about Harper?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

BTW, what do the Wyly Brothers think of all of this?

+ Reply to Thread