+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So what happened?

Varsity Bulldog cajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your time cajunfanatico's Avatar

So what happened?

Louisiana Tech University downgraded from Carnegie R2 High Level Research to R3 Moderate Level Research.

The only reference on the interwebs I can find about this story is a recent NewsStar report that deals mainly with ULM being upgraded to R3. There are numerous older stories to be found about the significance of Tech reaching R2 status, but zero reports on the downgrade.

Fewer PhD's awarded, cuts in research funding, loss of staff? Hard to believe the complete silence from the Tech administration on what had otherwise been an important component in the university's propaganda blitz.

Big Dog Avi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the rough Avi8r's Avatar

Re: So what happened?

Do you have a source? The budget cuts throughout the years could have a role.

Varsity Bulldog cajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your time cajunfanatico's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Avi8r View Post
    Do you have a source? The budget cuts throughout the years could have a role.
    Sorry for not providing a link.

http://www.ulm.edu/news/2016/24-ulm-...signation.html

That link is obviously to ULM's site but the same story ran in the News-Star IIRC.

Here's the exact wording re LaTech:

Louisiana Tech University was reclassified from R2 (“Higher Research Activity”) to R3 (“Moderate Research Activity”).
    Again, that's a very significant change in LaTech's research status and I'm amazed that as of last night, the LaTech administration has not commented on the story. I'm not familiar with how such things as Tier status are calculated by USNews & World Report, but if what I've read is correct, there are no Tier 1 schools who also occupy the R3 Carnegie Research level. All of them are at least R2. If not undone, this could cost LaTech its Tier 1 status as well.

Big Dog Avi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the rough Avi8r's Avatar

Thats good on ULM. There could be numerous factors in what could have led to the downgrade. But if you look at the future plans for what Tech has announced it seems like this downgrade will not be for long.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi8r View Post
    Thats good on ULM. There could be numerous factors in what could have led to the downgrade. But if you look at the future plans for what Tech has announced it seems like this downgrade will not be for long.
    There may be means by which the downgrade can be challenged and perhaps that's why I didn't see any comments from the LaTech administration. Perhaps they're formulating a response? The problem as I see it though, if there is no mechanism for a challenge, this new classification will be in effect until the next review, in 5 years. At least that's how I understand it.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Do you really expect us to send out a press release saying we drop a classification?

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    Do you really expect us to send out a press release saying we drop a classification?
    Yes, I do. I'm sure that faculty, students, alumni, and supporters of the university in general would like to know what happened and how the administration intends to rectify the problem. Alternately, I guess saying absolutely nothing sends out a reassuring message to some.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfanatico View Post
    Yes, I do. I'm sure that faculty, students, alumni, and supporters of the university in general would like to know what happened and how the administration intends to rectify the problem. Alternately, I guess saying absolutely nothing sends out a reassuring message to some.
    We do.

Champ DogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond repute DogtorEvil's Avatar

Louisiana Tech will always be recognized as a better institution than the University of Subperforming Losers.

I have never met or worked with someone from your juco. Ever. Thank god.

USL is not an after thought; it is a no thought. Classless, loser school.

Tech is better academically, in sports and in the quality of students it attracts.

The world would be a better place if USL would simply go away.
    Originally Posted by champion110
    I am less angry this morning and ready to get back up on the horse. That girl was a freak last night.

Originally Posted by champion110
    In fact, I finally had to tell her to stop over the last weekend, because I was worn out and needed a break.

Quote Originally Posted by DogtorEvil View Post
    Louisiana Tech will always be recognized as a better institution than the University of Subperforming Losers.

I have never met or worked with someone from your juco. Ever. Thank god.

USL is not an after thought; it is a no thought. Classless, loser school.

Tech is better academically, in sports and in the quality of students it attracts.

The world would be a better place if USL would simply go away.
    Your thoughtful, well-researched, and non-emotional post is an excellent example of why it's probably best to let the good folks at Indiana University Bloomington's Center for Postsecondary Research determine how university research programs are ranked.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfanatico View Post
    Your thoughtful, well-researched, and non-emotional post is an excellent example of why it's probably best to let the good folks at Indiana University Bloomington's Center for Postsecondary Research determine how university research programs are ranked.
    Hi, I'm cajunfanatico, and I love wieners.

Derp derp.

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    I love wieners.
    labg

Still nothing from the LaTech president on this important subject as of today. I had been thinking that perhaps the delay in addressing the research downgrade was part of a strategery, but now I'm wondering if he has a strategery at all. The downgrade couldn't have come as a surprise as I'm sure there are well-defined, published metrics to meet each classification level. Unusual, to say the least. I'll keep monitoring the situation and report back to you guys with anything I find since Dr. Guice seems to be M-I-A.

And speaking of monitoring, there are a number of LaTech alumni who search the ULL campus, athletic department, the university website, and even state and local highways in the Lafayette area looking for evidence of missing L's. They then report back to you guys here with their photographic evidence as well as sending their findings along to the president of the University of Louisiana System for further action against the offenders. I applaud these individuals in their tireless efforts to root out corruption and blatant dishonesty at all levels in the UL System and thought they might appreciate a heads-up on this example of deceitful advertising:

Louisiana Tech is recognized by US News and World Report as a Tier One 'National University' and the Carnegie Foundation as a Research University/High Research Activity (RU/H).

http://www.latech.edu/

I saw this comment posted on another site. Sounds as good an explanation as any......is the prez paying attention?

In the face of severe budget cuts, it seems Louisiana Tech has prioritized dollars to retain faculty in order to provide an excellent learning environment at the expense of research spending for the time being. By every other measure, (enrollment, average ACT score, starting salaries, etc.) Louisiana Tech is improving.

+ Reply to Thread