+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: So what happened?

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: So what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfanatico View Post
    You are correct, I misread your original post. However, I don't think my response was in any way, uncivil, though I understand that you guys are sometimes sensitive.
    "You are correct, I misread your original post. ---but if you think I'm going to apologize to you for being a jerk, you're smoking crack. I was a jerk because a Tech fan...you know, y'all are all the same...pissed me off once upon a time and didn't apologize for his remarks."

Yeah bro. Take the high road. I'm out.

Varsity Bulldog cajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your time cajunfanatico's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    Nope, actually we are a victim of our own success, we had more PhD's awarded but didn't have the same ratio increase in research funding. Thus our PhDs/$ ratio index that Carnegie calculates went down, they then randomly splits universities into 3 equal grouping and the one year they looked at we fell on the wrong side of that line;

similar to Dartmouth https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...clusive-group/
    I had read that article on Dartmouth a week or so ago. Re-read it, but they don't mention the Phd/$ index, or any index at all. Only this:

We don’t know what new algorithm they are using to classify institutions, so we can’t replicate the data,” Dartmouth spokeswoman Diana Lawrence wrote in an email.
    If what you say is true about how the downgrade took place at LaTech, it seems your administration has replicated whatever algorithm Carnegie uses to classify universities. Can you post a link to something that discusses the PhD/$ ratio Carnegie uses? That should be very useful information that any university administrator who wishes to tract how his program is doing would want to have.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

9 Months after ULL got their downgrade from S&P...

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/new...atus/26777171/
    Bump

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, actually we are a victim of our own success, we had more PhD's awarded but didn't have the same ratio increase in research funding. Thus our PhDs/$ ratio index that Carnegie calculates went down, they then randomly splits universities into 3 equal grouping and the one year they looked at we fell on the wrong side of that line;

similar to Dartmouth https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...clusive-group/

I think the "Numerous" reports are in reference to our Tier 2 status from USNews, ultimately the Carnegie "downgrade" is disappointing but it's was a function of a switch in gears as Tech is increasing their PhD output.

I've never paid much attention to Carnegie, for instance Dartmouth, Auburn, Miss State, Jackson State, and Idaho all in the category...

Our goal is to increase or SREB category which is what the state uses to segregate the schools.
    And we kept our Tier 1 status.

Big Dog Avi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the rough Avi8r's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Avi8r View Post
    Yes indeed!

Varsity Bulldog cajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your time cajunfanatico's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    I think your latest Tier 1 status came out before the recent downgrade, being released each September IIRC. And btw, how long has LaTech held Tier 1 status? I ask because from what I understand, there are no public universities who are Tier 1 and not at least Carnegie R2. If there's some sort of correlation between the two, your Tier 1 status might be in jeopardy as well.

9 Months after ULL got their downgrade from S&P...

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/new...atus/26777171/
    Yeah, from what I understand we got ourselves in the crosshairs because there was so much building activity on the campus, both academic and athletic-related, bond issues involved and all. Probably should do as some of our peers do, keep such expansion activity to a mínimum, and fly under the radar. BTW, I don't recall, were we actually downgraded or merely put on credit watch?
    Last edited by cajunfanatico; 02-23-2016 at 10:45 PM.

Yeah, from what I understand we got ourselves in the crosshairs because there was so much building activity on the campus, both academic and athletic-related, bond issues involved and all. Probably should do as some of our peers do, keep such expansion activity to a mínimum, and fly under the radar. BTW, I don't recall, were we actually downgraded or merely put on credit watch?
    Downgraded to the JUCO that is USL.

Big Dog Avi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the rough Avi8r's Avatar

Why is it that expanding a campus can hurt a school with the numerous ratings. And what all expanding is ULL doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Avi8r View Post
    Why is it that expanding a campus can hurt a school with the numerous ratings. And what all expanding is ULL doing?
    From what I understand the university has seen something of a construction boom over the last few years with a focus on achieving Tier 1 status and maintaining its research classsification. The construction includes general upgrades to infrastructure as well demolition, construction of new buildings, classrooms, dorms etc. I believe I saw a number mentioned of about $400M for the various projects. Major renovation and construction is also underway for assorted projects for the athletic department.

In answer to your specific question of how expansion can possibly hurt a school with the numerous rating services, it's merely a matter of them advising their clients on the risks involved with the purchase of bonds to fund many of the projects. On the surface everyone would likely agree that expansion and upgrading is good. However, if at the same time the state, who provides significant funding to our public universities, is looking at major cutbacks due to a budget crisis, the rating services may advise their clients against the purchase of bonds to fund the projects. A lower rating (a measure of risk) on bonds means he who issues the bonds must offer a higher interest rate in order to raise the funding necessary.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

cajunboy, this conversation has already happened.

Take some time. Read this: http://csnbbs.com/thread-770205-page-10.html

All 12 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmDawg View Post
    cajunboy, this conversation has already happened.

Take some time. Read this: http://csnbbs.com/thread-770205-page-10.html

All 12 pages.
    I'm having a perfectly civil conversation with Avi8r. If this conversation offends you, I might suggest you not open and read the thread.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

I had read that article on Dartmouth a week or so ago. Re-read it, but they don't mention the Phd/$ index, or any index at all. Only this:

If what you say is true about how the downgrade took place at LaTech, it seems your administration has replicated whatever algorithm Carnegie uses to classify universities. Can you post a link to something that discusses the PhD/$ ratio Carnegie uses? That should be very useful information that any university administrator who wishes to tract how his program is doing would want to have.
    It's all on the Carnegie site:
    http://carnegieclassifications.iu.ed...logy/basic.php

The research activity scale includes the following correlates of research activity: research & development (R&D) expenditures in science and engineering; R&D expenditures in non-S&E fields; S&E research staff (postdoctoral appointees and other non-faculty research staff with doctorates); doctoral conferrals in humanities fields, in social science fields, in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) fields, and in other fields (e.g., business, education, public policy, social work). These data were statistically combined using principal components analysis to create two indices of research activity reflecting the total variation across these measures (based on the first principal component in each analysis).

One index represents the aggregate level of research activity, and the other captures per-capita research activity using the expenditure and staffing measures divided by the number of full-time faculty within the assistant, associate and full professor ranks. The values on each index were then used to locate each institution on a two-dimensional graph. We calculated each institution's distance from a common reference point, and then used the results to assign institutions to one of three groups based on their distance from the reference point. Thus the aggregate and per-capita indices were considered equally, such that institutions that were very high on either index were assigned to the "highest research activity" group, while institutions that were high on at least one (but very high on neither) were assigned to the "higher research activity" group. Remaining institutions and those not represented in the NSF data collections were assigned to the "limited research activity" category. Before conducting the analysis, raw data were converted to rank scores to reduce the influence of outliers and to improve discrimination at the lower end of the distributions where many institutions were clustered. Detailed information about how the research activity index was calculated can be found here. http://carnegieclassifications.iu.ed...ity_Index.xlsx
    That chart is directly from the last tab in the excel file.

From what I understand the university has seen something of a construction boom over the last few years with a focus on achieving Tier 1 status and maintaining its research classsification. The construction includes general upgrades to infrastructure as well demolition, construction of new buildings, classrooms, dorms etc. I believe I saw a number mentioned of about $400M for the various projects. Major renovation and construction is also underway for assorted projects for the athletic department.
    So you haven't even been on your own campus in years? I wouldn't blame you. Go away troll.

+ Reply to Thread