+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: So what happened?

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Re: So what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfanatico View Post
    I'm having a perfectly civil conversation with Avi8r. If this conversation offends you, I might suggest you not open and read the thread.
    But you are as dumb as a box of rocks and you admit in a previous post you haven't even been on your own campus in years. You are purely a troll and are now "dead to me".

Varsity Bulldog cajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your time cajunfanatico's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    It's all on the Carnegie site:
    http://carnegieclassifications.iu.ed...logy/basic.php

That chart is directly from the last tab in the excel file.
    Thanks for the link GD. When time permits I'll read and try to get a better understanding of their methodology. In your opinion, was the PhD/$ ratio the sole culprit in the downgrade, or were there other factors?

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Thanks for the link GD. When time permits I'll read and try to get a better understanding of their methodology. In your opinion, was the PhD/$ ratio the sole culprit in the downgrade, or were there other factors?
    I believe it was the main issue; I'm skeptical of any methodology that ranks institutions ignorant of institution size/enrollment. Another factor is the type of R&D, ULL and UNO benefit from on-going Wetlands "research" and while it is beneficial spending money on understanding the mating habits of the coastal red headed booby fish is not in the same class as say development of carbon nanotube based multifunctional electrochemical probes for single cell analysis. But to Carnagie these are both STEM spending and helped keep those two institution in R2.

The other issue are the arc's they used to divide the institutions, the distribution is top heavy 115 R1, 107 R2, 54 R3. Hockey stick distributions are not real life. IMO the R3 arc should be at -.5 to -1.25, R2 arc Y stays the same X goes to +1. You would end up with something more similar to a bell curve, biased towards the high end as should be with institutions trying to get more R&D;24 R3, 182 R2, 70R1. Finally, I'm not sure that those lines don't move each time they do this analysis to force the distribution.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

I believe it was the main issue; I'm skeptical of any methodology that ranks institutions ignorant of institution size/enrollment. Another factor is the type of R&D, ULL and UNO benefit from on-going Wetlands "research" and while it is beneficial spending money on understanding the mating habits of the coastal red headed booby fish is not in the same class as say development of carbon nanotube based multifunctional electrochemical probes for single cell analysis. But to Carnagie these are both STEM spending and helped keep those two institution in R2.

The other issue are the arc's they used to divide the institutions, the distribution is top heavy 115 R1, 107 R2, 54 R3. Hockey stick distributions are not real life. IMO the R3 arc should be at -.5 to -1.25, R2 arc Y stays the same X goes to +1. You would end up with something more similar to a bell curve, biased towards the high end as should be with institutions trying to get more R&D;24 R3, 182 R2, 70R1. Finally, I'm not sure that those lines don't move each time they do this analysis to force the distribution.
    Amazingly, I remember this from Quantitative Analysis 334 with Dr. Byars!

Varsity Bulldog cajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your time cajunfanatico's Avatar

GD, referring back to the comments from the rep at Dartmouth, does anyone know ALL the metrics that go into calculating these categories? It would certainly be easier for administrators with a goal of achieving or maintaining a certain category to at least have a road map of how to get there.

If all the metrics are not available, then IMO the research classifications would be about as reliable as USN&WR's tier status structure for which I've never seen a published definition.

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    So you haven't even been on your own campus in years? I wouldn't blame you. Go away troll.
    Like many LaTech grads, I don't get to visit the campus of my alma mater as often as I'd like. I live in a very rural área South America so traveling to the States is a bit of an ordeal. My last visits were in late 2011 when my mother died and again in 2012 to help my brothers settle her estate. While I did have the opportunity to go to Lafayette several times and did visit the campus to see some of the changes, I've not been back since. So you're correct. I'm guilty. I've not been on my own campus in years.

Having said that, I've found the interwebs to be a wonderful means of staying in touch with all that's going around the world. One can even look at photos and stuff. In fact, if you'd like, I can post dozens of photos of the work in progress around the ULL campus for you. Interested? I thought not.

Big Dog Avi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the roughAvi8r is a jewel in the rough Avi8r's Avatar

Not to discredit ULL but, I also thought similar to what GD mentioned. I think the types of research done should be accounted for rather than there being just being research done. I can recall a professor at LSUA doing research because it was an additional task for teaching there. There were times he would slip and mention how he is only doing a project that does not need much effort only to fulfill the responsibilities as a professor. I'm not familiar with the types of programs ULL has to compare them to Tech. But being what type of school Tech is, it makes it hard to compare the University with other schools in the state, except for LSU in some cases. I like to think there is a healthy competition among Tech and ULL in sports and academics that hopefully one day might make LSU envy it.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Like many LaTech grads, I don't get to visit the campus of my alma mater as often as I'd like. I live in a very rural área South America so traveling to the States is a bit of an ordeal. My last visits were in late 2011 when my mother died and again in 2012 to help my brothers settle her estate. While I did have the opportunity to go to Lafayette several times and did visit the campus to see some of the changes, I've not been back since. So you're correct. I'm guilty. I've not been on my own campus in years.

Having said that, I've found the interwebs to be a wonderful means of staying in touch with all that's going around the world. One can even look at photos and stuff. In fact, if you'd like, I can post dozens of photos of the work in progress around the ULL campus for you. Interested? I thought not.
    Sorry but we have a very hard time believing most USL fans. They seem to lie quit often, fudge and downright cheat with number/figures, spin analysis and then just slither away. `Enjoy life in S. America. I actually love it down there as well but just to visit.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

I'm having a perfectly civil conversation with Avi8r. If this conversation offends you, I might suggest you not open and read the thread.
    Excuse you. You are not having a perfectly civil conversation with any one individual. You started an open thread on someone else's board in which you are conversing with multiple people. I am not offended. I am simply providing you a link to a conversation from the CUSA board which, if you will take the time to read it, you will discover all the answers to your questions and more. If you can't understand that, then perhaps you might seek some understanding by reading the information contained in that link. You might even think about taking some of it back to RP. I doubt your brethren trolling on the CUSA site did.

Sorry but we have a very hard time believing most USL fans. They seem to lie quit often, fudge and downright cheat with number/figures, spin analysis and then just slither away. `Enjoy life in S. America. I actually love it down there as well but just to visit.
    Well, for the record, I've got no reason to lie about anything here. My dad taught me long ago that it was far easier to remember the truth than a lie. He was right, of course. Where in S. America did you visit? It's a big continent.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi8r View Post
    Not to discredit ULL but, I also thought similar to what GD mentioned. I think the types of research done should be accounted for rather than there being just being research done. I can recall a professor at LSUA doing research because it was an additional task for teaching there. There were times he would slip and mention how he is only doing a project that does not need much effort only to fulfill the responsibilities as a professor. I'm not familiar with the types of programs ULL has to compare them to Tech. But being what type of school Tech is, it makes it hard to compare the University with other schools in the state, except for LSU in some cases. I like to think there is a healthy competition among Tech and ULL in sports and academics that hopefully one day might make LSU envy it.
    I'm not one to encourage wasteful spending on any type of research either but wouldn't automatically assume that wetlands research equals waste. IIRC from what I learned in my Lousiana Geography class a hundred years ago, there's over 4 million acres of wetlands in S. Louisiana and those wetlands represent a vital link in the health of the Gulf of Mexico fisheries. They also serve as a barrier against hurricane damage for much of coast of Louisiana. Too bad that we humans have changed the natural process of land-building that lead to the formation of those wetlands over the centuries. They're now basically doomed.

And interesting that you brought up competition and envy from LSU. In the early 80's, USL lead the state in computer science studies, if I recall correctly, being the first to offer a major in the field. LSU took note and began muscling their way into the field as well against the wishes of many. The whole thing caused a lot of bad blood between the universities which a year or two later came to a head with the name change fiasco.

Well, for the record, I've got no reason to lie about anything here. My dad taught me long ago that it was far easier to remember the truth than a lie. He was right, of course. Where in S. America did you visit? It's a big continent.
    Brazil mainly. And yes S. America is huge as is Brazil of course. I enjoyed almost every minute on these trips other than eating from one too many street vendors on one particular 18 day trip (How freaking stupid was that?). I've spent time in C. America as well.

BTW, we just kicked ULL's #16 ranked buttocks in baseball today.

I'm pretty sure you can't beat us in anything anymore in all honesty.

We all knew this USL clown would disappear after kicking their arse in baseball, football and basketball.

Here are more new separation stats and facts.

Tech has high ranking on new Fed Site

http://www.latechbbb.com/forum/showthread.php?134819-Tech-has-high-ranking-on-new-Fed-Site

Punishment for ULL's Football Program

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

We all knew this USL clown would disappear after kicking their arse in baseball, football and basketball.

Here are more new separation stats and facts.

Tech has high ranking on new Fed Site

http://www.latechbbb.com/forum/showthread.php?134819-Tech-has-high-ranking-on-new-Fed-Site

Punishment for ULL's Football Program

Actually, the whipping in sports was secondary. The main cause of his departure was all the big words he couldn't read in GermDawg's last comment.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Where did "geauxpnc" go? Is that the Cajun you are speaking of?

+ Reply to Thread