+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Charlie Bishop passes away

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Charlie Bishop passes away

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/story...away/80537644/

Former Louisiana Tech great Charlie Bishop Jr. passed away on Valentine’s Day and was buried in Ruston’s Forest Lawn Cemetery on Wednesday.
    A towering presence in the paint at 7 feet, Bishop played on Tech’s 1967 Gulf States co-championship team with Leon Barmore and the 1970 championship team with Mike Green and Evangel Christian Academy principal Bud Dean.

Read More

Big Dog counselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of light

Charlie Bishop

I'm sure that many of you know by now that Charlie Bishop died on Valentine's Day. He was 68. Story in Times today by Jimmy Watson. I was at Tech when Charlie played. He was out of Summerfield and was a big ole country boy, but also was a darn good center. One of his years at Tech the front line was 6'10", 6'11" and Charlie at 7'.

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Charlie Bishop passes away

I remember when he made a recruting visit to Memorial Gym. He walked into one of the doors, and everyone in the stands just stared! Here was this giant of a kid, with his blue jeans rolled up. You could tell immediately that he was a fish out of water. He was a force on the court, and with Leon, George Stone, Tommy Gregory and others, the Dawgs had one hell of a team.
    There was another giant on that team. I believe his last name was Peak.

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amos Moses View Post
    I remember when he made a recruting visit to Memorial Gym. He walked into one of the doors, and everyone in the stands just stared! Here was this giant of a kid, with his blue jeans rolled up. You could tell immediately that he was a fish out of water. He was a force on the court, and with Leon, George Stone, Tommy Gregory and others, the Dawgs had one hell of a team.
    There was another giant on that team. I believe his last name was Peak.
    Richard Peek and Bob Watson were on that same team. The rumor was circulated that we had three 7 footers on the team. However, I believe Peek was "only" 6'11" and Watson was "just" 6' 10". It could be the other way around, but Charlie Bishop was a true 7' according to my sources at the time.

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

I'm trying to remember the names of the starting 5 on the 1966-1967 team. I remember Richard Peek, Leon Barmore, and Jon Stephenson. I can't remember if Charlie Bishop started or came off the bench, but I think he came off the bench earlier in the season and started later in the season. Who have I forgotten?

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HoDo-Tech70 View Post
    I'm trying to remember the names of the starting 5 on the 1966-1967 team. I remember Richard Peek, Leon Barmore, and Jon Stephenson. I can't remember if Charlie Bishop started or came off the bench, but I think he came off the bench earlier in the season and started later in the season. Who have I forgotten?
    Jim Pruit. I met Charlie Bishop in the summer of 1965. He came to the campus quite often to play pick-up games that summer and I was in Hutchison next door to one of the guys he played with. I'll never forget him standing in the doorway and having to duck to get in the room.

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HoDo-Tech70 View Post
    Tommy Gregory and George Stone were starters, I believe.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    http://www.shreveporttimes.com/story...away/80537644/

Former Louisiana Tech great Charlie Bishop Jr. passed away on Valentine’s Day and was buried in Ruston’s Forest Lawn Cemetery on Wednesday.
    A towering presence in the paint at 7 feet, Bishop played on Tech’s 1967 Gulf States co-championship team with Leon Barmore and the 1970 championship team with Mike Green and Evangel Christian Academy principal Bud Dean.

Read More
    From the article:

“He told me about going to Willis Reed’s camp in the Catskills one year and every night he played in pickup games with Wilt Chamberlain, Jerry West, Walt Frazier and Oscar Robertson,” Barmore said. “Can you imagine playing with all those guys?”

That's pretty awesome.

I hope his family is doing well.

+ Reply to Thread