+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple TV

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Apple TV

Lets talk about it. My questions...

- Initial equipment cost
    - Does the TV have to be a smart TV
    - Cost for service (seems to be netflix on steroids)

If I get a digital antenna, can I pick and choose what I want to watch?, ESPNs, FOX News, CBSSports, FXSports stations, (NOT MTV or BET)

I hate, hate, HATE, Comcast!

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Apple TV

Thanks.

Champ Salvatore Assante has a brilliant futureSalvatore Assante has a brilliant futureSalvatore Assante has a brilliant futureSalvatore Assante has a brilliant futureSalvatore Assante has a brilliant futureSalvatore Assante has a brilliant futureSalvatore Assante has a brilliant futureSalvatore Assante has a brilliant futureSalvatore Assante has a brilliant futureSalvatore Assante has a brilliant futureSalvatore Assante has a brilliant future Salvatore Assante's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Lets talk about it. My questions...

- Initial equipment cost
    - Does the TV have to be a smart TV
    - Cost for service (seems to be netflix on steroids)

If I get a digital antenna, can I pick and choose what I want to watch?, ESPNs, FOX News, CBSSports, FXSports stations, (NOT MTV or BET)

I hate, hate, HATE, Comcast!
    That would be Kodi.

Champ splicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of light

We have 3 appleTVs, no cable or satellite subscription. We subscribe to Netflix ($8.99/mo), HBO ($15/mo), and Amazon Prime ($99/yr, mostly for free 2-day shipping). I do have an antenna for locals, but rarely use it.

I shop around for movie purchases and rentals. Sometimes iTunes is cheaper, sometimes Amazon is. Airplay is awesome to "flick" video and pictures to the TV. We also do lots of youtube. Only problem is we're up to the 350GB plan with Suddenlink internet now. We abuse the crap out of bandwidth.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

We have 3 rokus - only problem is lack of sports programming w/o cable subscription -
    Hulu gets us our networks (except CBS)

Champ dawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud of

You can always subscribe to slingTv for $19/month to get ESPN during football season. Best of all you can then use the watchespn app giving you all the espn3 games and replays as well.

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

Bingo for Sling. I can't see why most people even need cable unless you are fan of one of the 200 channels we all complain about having to pay for to get ESPN.

Roku user here. ESPN was the only thing I wanted on cable and Sling gives me that now. I pay $5 extra for the sports package to add some of the other ESPN networks and a couple of soccer oriented channels.
    I am also an Amazon/Netflix subscriber. I subscribed to Acorn for $3/mo because I like a lot of British television. So yeah, I got almost $50/month sunk into streaming services but I don't have a cable/satellite bill, I watch exactly what I want ONLY.

IMHO, and this has been the case for years, the NFL keeps network TV, satellite and cable relevant. If they believe they can replace that revenue stream with a stream app like the NBA/NHL and MLS use, network television as you know it will be relegated to those who cannot afford streaming services.

One of thing, for those of you who like what ESPN USED to be, the obscure sports stuff - YouTube's #Live channel gives you a lot of content for things like curling, NBA D-League, rock climbing, biking, BMX races, obscure racing circuits etc. I catch a lot of the Live USBC bowling content this way. The rest of it can be hit and miss but a lot of the national organizations for certain sports do a great job of promoting their own sports this way.

Champ splicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    So, no, live Watch ESPN?
    I log in with someone else's account when needed. That's really the only thing that I miss.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

NFL/Sunday Ticket is the only thing that keeps me subscribed to Directv. When I can stream the NFL, I will cut the cord.

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    NFL/Sunday Ticket is the only thing that keeps me subscribed to Directv. When I can stream the NFL, I will cut the cord.
    To me, this is the only thing keeping cable/satellite relevant and the networks pay through the nose because they know it. I can catch everything else on demand, for the most part. Also a good deal of the best shows are on streaming capable services only anyway.

I have asked others what keeps them on cable and some live in areas where it is hard to get local channels due to mountainous terrain or living in an apartment but the NFL package seems to me to be the main one keeping people plugged in.

Quote Originally Posted by weunice View Post
    To me, this is the only thing keeping cable/satellite relevant and the networks pay through the nose because they know it. I can catch everything else on demand, for the most part. Also a good deal of the best shows are on streaming capable services only anyway.

I have asked others what keeps them on cable and some live in areas where it is hard to get local channels due to mountainous terrain or living in an apartment but the NFL package seems to me to be the main one keeping people plugged in.
    For me and many others the reason for cable in wifi access. There just aren't any affordable alternatives. I have 5 phones on my AT&T plan, so an affordable data plan is not available with phone service.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

And some of us can't even get true internet and need to rely on cellular data for internet. 30gbs is not enough for anything.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

I have had AT&T uverse for a little over 2 years. I like it a lot and the internet over their AC router is very good. AT&T just announced that uverse will eventually merge with the satellite company they just acquired. To top that off, the bill just jumped by a 133% last month (my 2 year anniversary with uverse.) I have been told that you can get everything you want via Netflix, Amazon, and a local antenna. I haven't researched that yet because I can't seem to get a complete channel line up to compare. My main viewing is the series like Billions, the Americans, etc. along with news channels science channels etc. and an occasional movie. I have a lot of junk channels with the 350 plan from AT&T. Does anybody have a good listing of what I can get through the streaming services?
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

There's not really a way to get a listing of the streaming services without accessing and just looking at what they have. Their large lineups change every month dropping or adding content.

I use Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu (no ads version). I look for what they have more so than worry about what I want to find. There is too much content to be worried about specific shows. For example, I want to finish Smallville, but I can only buy it from Amazon because no one streams it. It's not worth me buying it. Intead, I switch to Stargate Atlantis. I just finished binging Daredevil season 2 today on Netflix (overall GREAT season). But I also watch several movies. I used Hulu to watch the other shows Amazon and Netflix don't have like Fear the Walking Dead and Battlestar Galactica Classic. If it is a show I'm following now, I go to the stations website (CBS, CW, etc). If I can't watch it through any of those means, I don't bother. They don't want me to watch their show, I'm not going to try.

Three season of The Americans is on Amazon Prime. To get current season, you would have to go to the FX website within 4 weeks of the episode airing and have a TV subscription. Can buy the episode after it airs on Amazon Prime, though.

You can watch Billions with an $8.99/month subscription to Showtime through Amazon Prime. No TV subscription required.
    Last edited by JuBru; 03-19-2016 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post

If I can't watch it through any of those means, I don't bother. They don't want me to watch their show, I'm not going to try.
    That's where I am too. ESPN is included in my list of "don't care if I watch it or not"

We need an alacarte type setup, but the stations like MSNBC, BET, and MTV get a piece of the action from cable subscriptions so they will always be included in the basic packages.

+ Reply to Thread