+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for Ruston residents

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: Question for Ruston residents

I started playing tackle and I hated it when I was young. I started in the 4th grade (probably too late) and I didn't really enjoy playing football until the 8th grade (Big Island Patrol...what?).
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    I guess it's because we've always started young in Baton Rouge that way if they can't take getting hit in the mouth at 6, it's a pretty good indicator they won't like it at 9 or 10 either. Therefore, we'll know early enough so other sports options can be explored.
    That's a very big misconception! Let the kid grow up. I remember a lot of my friends that were burned out on football by the time they got to be sophomores. I also remember a lot of my friends that couldn't make the team in junior high just like myself, that turned into pretty good football players by the time they became juniors and seniors. I didn't go out for football until the spring of my sophomore year.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

I'm trying to get him to explain to me why he is so hung up on playing tackle. I think it's because his big brother is playing. Anyway, he's been told we're not driving to Monroe to play football, so if he's going to play, it'll have to be flag.

We all have our experiences that are unique to us when it comes to our past and football. I know that I've seen plenty of kids when I was coaching that had no problem with the contact at 6 years old. The ones that had problem with it at 6 generally had problems at 9 and were only still playing because their fathers were making them play. I also know many kids that started at 9 who were timid when they were started only to be scared out of it by those who had been hitting since they were 6 and had not hesitancy in running full speed into somone. Everyone is different. Every story is different.

I'm not making him want to play tackle football. It's what he wants to do. As I said, I think it's a combination of watching legacy play and watching those two kids' teams play at halftime at a Tech game. I'm trying to get him excited about playing flag football because if he's going to play, that's going to have be it. You should see him catch a pass in stride running a fly route. I think he would be better suited for flag football anyway since in the young leagues I've experienced, all they do is run the ball.

Champ MICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant future

I'm trying to get him to explain to me why he is so hung up on playing tackle. I think it's because his big brother is playing. Anyway, he's been told we're not driving to Monroe to play football, so if he's going to play, it'll have to be flag.

We all have our experiences that are unique to us when it comes to our past and football. I know that I've seen plenty of kids when I was coaching that had no problem with the contact at 6 years old. The ones that had problem with it at 6 generally had problems at 9 and were only still playing because their fathers were making them play. I also know many kids that started at 9 who were timid when they were started only to be scared out of it by those who had been hitting since they were 6 and had not hesitancy in running full speed into somone. Everyone is different. Every story is different.

I'm not making him want to play tackle football. It's what he wants to do. As I said, I think it's a combination of watching legacy play and watching those two kids' teams play at halftime at a Tech game. I'm trying to get him excited about playing flag football because if he's going to play, that's going to have be it. You should see him catch a pass in stride running a fly route. I think he would be better suited for flag football anyway since in the young leagues I've experienced, all they do is run the ball.
    Those two kids teams that played at halftime of one of our games were 11-12 years old--double the age of your 6-year old. My grandson was one of the players. It is good that the halftime game inspired your 6.5 yr. old to want to play the game & your idea about him playing flag is a good one. That is a great way to get started in this great game.

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

...if they can't take getting hit in the mouth at 6, it's a pretty good indicator they won't like it at 9 or 10 either.
    I started playing tackle football in the the third grade and played through college. In my opinion, third grade was still too early, and certainly too early to make any judgments regarding future potential. I have a son who's about to begin 7th grade and is going to be pretty good, but he didn't start tackle football until the 5th grade.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MICKEYS14 View Post
    Those two kids teams that played at halftime of one of our games were 11-12 years old--double the age of your 6-year old. My grandson was one of the players. It is good that the halftime game inspired your 6.5 yr. old to want to play the game & your idea about him playing flag is a good one. That is a great way to get started in this great game.
    I tried to tell him those were bigger kids. He's so hardheaded and stubborn. Won't listen to anyone. I don't know where he gets that from.

Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    I started playing tackle football in the the third grade and played through college. In my opinion, third grade was still too early, and certainly too early to make any judgments regarding future potential. I have a son who's about to begin 7th grade and is going to be pretty good, but he didn't start tackle football until the 5th grade.
    Thank you for your opinion.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

I tried to tell him those were bigger kids. He's so hardheaded and stubborn. Won't listen to anyone. I don't know where he gets that from.
    Ooh, ooh, I know...... his mama, right?

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    Ooh, ooh, I know...... his mama, right?
    You know her well.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

You know her well.
    I do. So I am going to tell her that I said YOU were the hard-headed one.

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your opinion.
    I reread my post and thought it might have come across as "preachy" or condescending. If so, I apologize because I didn't intend that at all. I just meant to share my personal experience and my opinion FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    I reread my post and thought it might have come across as "preachy" or condescending. If so, I apologize because I didn't intend that at all. I just meant to share my personal experience and my opinion FWIW.
    I thought my thanks might come across as sarcasm. I do value others opinions. Thanks.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Dirty, just got back in town.
    Grandson will play tackle for first time this year in WM league (same one where Coach Mick's wonderful grandson played.)

www.woysaonline.com

Age Requirements: Wee-Ball 4 yrs old by September 30th of current year
    Flag 5 & 6 /
    Jr. Tackle 7 & 8 /
    Tackle One 9 & 10 /
    Tackle Two 11& 12

must be of age by September 1
    st of current year

He'll be 8 on 10/2 (I call him a natural holdback since he's in 2nd grade this year).
    He really enjoyed the WOYSA flag football.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

+ Reply to Thread