+ Reply to Thread

Thread: US Women's Soccer Team File lawsuit for equal pay

Champ cscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond repute

US Women's Soccer Team File lawsuit for equal pay

I actually am with the ladies on this one except they should demand more than the crappy men's team. Per the media, the women made 20M last year and the men lost 2M. To pay the women's team less than the men's is understandable if the men's team was making more revenue with less expense.

I think the women are dumb only asking for equal pay when they should be able to demand more than the men based on profitability. This is not like title 9 where women's sports lose money.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Re: US Women's Soccer Team File lawsuit for equal pay

Their Exhibit 2 showing the difference in pay:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/306505938/Exhibit-2

Just for discussion and numbers purposes, the U.S. Soccer Annual General Meeting minutes:
    http://resources.ussoccer.com/images...-PDF-FINAL.pdf

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

It's soccer. They should pay them to not play.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cscollis View Post
    I actually am with the ladies on this one except they should demand more than the crappy men's team. Per the media, the women made 20M last year and the men lost 2M. To pay the women's team less than the men's is understandable if the men's team was making more revenue with less expense.

I think the women are dumb only asking for equal pay when they should be able to demand more than the men based on profitability. This is not like title 9 where women's sports lose money.
    I'm not saying you are necessarily wrong. And I'm not saying the women shouldn't make more money. I'll just add these thoughts for a little perspective.

The men are making millions to play for their club teams. They risk injury and deny themselves badly needed rest to play in these games. A couple of years ago an up and coming Centerback for the US was playing for AC Milan, at the time one of the top teams in the world. He jacked his knee up playing for the US and was never the same. This injury literally cost him millions of dollars. This also happened with a promising Center Mid, both saw their careers ruined. They should be and are compensated more for the time and the risk.

The women on the other hand that are lucky enough to be on a professional team, play in front of extremely sparse crowds, and hardly make any money. They risk nothing. The gain everything by playing for the National Team. Their careers are made during these games and tournaments. The men's careers are made by playing for their clubs.

The US is trying to pay market value for players, not basing the pay off of the womens team. The men want to be paid what other players of their ability are being paid. Our women on the other hand are paid far higher than their market value. They make more than women soccer players in any other country.

Also saying the mens team is crappy is pretty shortsighted. Being around the 20th best team out of like 250 teams isn't crappy. Especially when you consider the US is not even close to being a "Soccer Nation" (although it is slowly getting better) The mens side of Soccer is about 1 trillion times more competitive and difficult than the girls side.

Also TV ratings are massively higher for the men. The mens national team averages double the attendance of the womens national team for home games. And the revenue is predictably much higher for the men.

AND according to this quote from the ESPN article these numbers were from a time period where the womens team was playing more games. This goes in cycles:

It is important to put these numbers in context. The periods encompassing the 2016 and 2017 fiscal years will see the U.S. women's national team play two major tournaments, last summer's 2015 Women's World Cup, and the 2016 Olympic games. These years represent the peak revenue-producing periods for the women's team, and are expected to go down in the two years following the Olympics. But the women have made it clear that the revenue-producing power of the team has accelerated to the point that they should be paid on par with players on the men's national team.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

This is a US Soccer Association issue. If you look at the international scene, through the governing body FIFA, the men's game annihilates the women's in revenue. I read an article the other day about this, and can't remember the exact numbers, but it was something like: the Men's WC Final (2014) made $40 billion while the Women's WC Final (2015) made $78 million.

Now, it is true in the US the Women's Final had a higher TV viewership than EVERY other sporting event, except the Super Bowls, the past two years. Yes, the WC Final, USA vs Japan, out-rated the NBA finals, the World Series, CBB FF, you name it! So, this is strictly a US Soccer issue. Which is what the players of the women's team are saying in their complaint.

World wide, you'd have to add together about 7 Super Bowl viewer totals to approach just one WC Men's Final.

Anyway, this issue needs to be addressed and settled, behind closed doors, and everyone move on to the task of moving US soccer ahead.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    This is a US Soccer Association issue. If you look at the international scene, through the governing body FIFA, the men's game annihilates the women's in revenue. I read an article the other day about this, and can't remember the exact numbers, but it was something like: the Men's WC Final (2014) made $40 billion while the Women's WC Final (2015) made $78 million.

Now, it is true in the US the Women's Final had a higher TV viewership than EVERY other sporting event, except the Super Bowls, the past two years. Yes, the WC Final, USA vs Japan, out-rated the NBA finals, the World Series, CBB FF, you name it! So, this is strictly a US Soccer issue. Which is what the players of the women's team are saying in their complaint.

World wide, you'd have to add together about 7 Super Bowl viewer totals to approach just one WC Men's Final.

Anyway, this issue needs to be addressed and settled, behind closed doors, and everyone move on to the task of moving US soccer ahead.
    Besides viewer$hip, didn't the women make more more money last year than the men's organization?
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Besides viewer$hip, didn't the women make more more money last year than the men's organization?
    The numbers I saw were $20 million for the women, and a loss of $2 million for the men. This will be interesting to watch and see how it plays out. I do believe the women will see their pay go up.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Budget information starts on page 64. Page 68 details revenue. U.S. Soccer doesn't split the marketing and sponsorship up, though I suspect it's just a giant pool that goes where needed. The Other Revenue part also doesn't have a split. I'm sure Dawg80 can go into more details on the different organizations that make up registration.

The only part split between men and women, though, is the "NT-NT Games-Int'l Games" section of that page.
    ewkplcp5mtv1coqmzijt.jpg

Expenses details start on page 69.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal&Ken View Post
    The numbers I saw were $20 million for the women, and a loss of $2 million for the men. This will be interesting to watch and see how it plays out. I do believe the women will see their pay go up.
    The $20m figure came from $9m increase in marketing/sponsorship and $11.5m increase in NT-NT Games-Int'l Games.

I have no idea how they calculated that the men lost $2m. I don't see it. Might would help if I knew what some of these categories represented like "International Games (I-07)," for example.

Champ cscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond repute

My point is: If the women's soccer team makes enough to be paid more or equal to the men, then pay them. I am still not going to watch it but hey it is getting closer to Spring Football game day!

+ Reply to Thread