+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Don't let anybody call Tech a "mid-major"

Champ Woof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to behold

Re: Don't let anybody call Tech a "mid-major"

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Over the past 20 years, the SEC has won 5 national championships in NCAA mens basketball. That's 25%. That's 1 out of every 4. That's ON THE COURT results.
    That's what I was thinking. If the SEC isn't a top five mens basketball conference, I would like to see the top five list of the person that thinks that they aren't.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

I'm happy folks are referring to us as a Mid-Major instead of a Low-Major after finishing in a three-way tie for third place in the 22nd worst conference in basketball, not to mention Konkol's two in a row one-and-done performances in the conference tourney and the pay-for-play fiasco.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Over the past 20 years, the SEC has won 5 national championships in NCAA mens basketball. That's 25%. That's 1 out of every 4. That's ON THE COURT results.

I'm as quick as anyone to bash the SEC because I have no love for them whatsoever. But when you post silly stuff like you did above, it just shows your ignorance and damages your credibility. After seeing your "Ken Pom" comment....I did't hear anything else. I was too busy laughing at you.
    Haha!

Which of these conferences is the SEC better than in MBB?
    - Big 12
    - ACC
    - Big East
    - Pac-12
    - Big Ten

Champ Woof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Haha!

- Big 12
    - ACC
    - Big East
    - Pac-12
    - Big Ten
    The SEC has won more MBB Championships than these conferences.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woof! View Post
    The SEC has won more MBB Championships than these conferences.
    That's not what I asked. Yesteryear's national titles are irrelevant to where these conferences stand today.

If that's your standard, then the American and C-USA would be "Power 5" in WBB, the #1 and #3 best conferences in America.

Does that mean you consider MBB and WBB to have different "Power 5" conferences?

You see how stupid these labels are?
    Last edited by Dawg06; 04-06-2016 at 12:33 AM.

Haha!

- Big 12
    - ACC
    - Big East
    - Pac-12
    - Big Ten
    That's not what I asked.
    Okay, then here's my answer.

- Big 12 - has won fewer championships
    - ACC
    - Big East - has won fewer championships
    - Pac-12
    - Big Ten - has won fewer championships

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

HD agreeing with a Bernie Sanders supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by Woof! View Post
    Okay, then here's my answer.

- Big 12 - has won fewer championships
    - ACC
    - Big East - has won fewer championships
    - Pac-12
    - Big Ten - has won fewer championships
    You are hopeless!

You are hopeless!
    Maybe you want smoke and mirrors to get what you are looking for .

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Is CUSA a mid-major in baseball?

Seeing how it's the number 3 (YES THREE) rated conference in the nation....

I still say the best connotation is the Autonomous Five and the REST...
    But how many baseball national championships has C-USA won?

Except it's not really autonomy. It's what I would call collusion. The most accurate descriptors are Cartel and Non-Cartel, but then there's the gray area of trying to define which schools/conferences are in which group for various sports.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

That's not what I asked. Yesteryear's national titles are irrelevant to where these conferences stand today.

If that's your standard, then the American and C-USA would be "Power 5" in WBB, the #1 and #3 best conferences in America.

Does that mean you consider MBB and WBB to have different "Power 5" conferences?

You see how stupid these labels are?
    I'm skeptical of anything you say. I just finished reading your stupid comments on a 2-year old women's basketball thread about the Tyler Summit hire 2 years ago. Back then I told you it was a mistake for LA Tech to hire a 23-yr old coach and you argued heavily for it. You ended up being DEAD wrong, of course.

Just remember, it never pays to argue with HogDawg.

Back to this, annual power rankings come and go. What's hot this year may be crap next year. But IMO, looking at the past 20 years is a much better gauge of whether a conference is truly a Top 5 "power conference" or not. That said, I would certainly put the SEC on par with the Big East (despite their recent NC by Villanova), the Big 10 and the PAC 12. In fact, here's a list of conferences with the most NCAA champion schools as they are membered TODAY!!

National Titles in last 20 Years:

ACC - 7
    SEC - 5
    Big 10 - 2
    PAC 12 - 1
    Big IX - 1
    Big East - 1
    AAC - 4 (UCONN won 4 NC's in the last 20 years, 3 as a member of the Big East, and 1 as a member of the AAC.)

*The NC's are counted for the conference the schools are in TODAY! For example, Maryland's 2002 title is counted for the Big 10, because that is where Maryland is a member today.

We can certainly omit the AAC as a "UCONN" anomaly. The AAC just doesn't have the top to bottom depth that the other conferences do. The Big East certainly can't claim "the power" that comes with UCONN's wins since UCONN is no longer a member. Same for Maryland no longer being in the ACC, and Syracuse, no longer being in the Big East.

In fact, of the conferences you mentioned, I would rank the Big East dead last. The Big East no longer has W VA, Cincinnati, UCONN, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Boston College, USF, Syracuse, Miami, and VA Tech in its membership. The Big East ain't what it used to be (despite winning the NC this year. HA!)
    Last edited by HogDawg; 04-07-2016 at 11:21 PM.

+ Reply to Thread