+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: HB 971: A bill restricting where LA athletic programs can travel...unless you're LSU

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Re: HB 971: A bill restricting where LA athletic programs can travel...unless you're

Quote Originally Posted by DJDAWG View Post
    Actually, I think it's an idiotic attempt to kill the Leopard's baseball and softball programs.
    If the Lady Techsters were still dominant, don't think women's basketball wouldn't be included in this.

This idiot more than likely doesn't understand how conference memberships work.
    He's a former elessewe tennis coach and Associate AD. He KNOWS how college athletics works. . . . . I think.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Re: HB 971: A bill restricting where LA athletic programs can travel...unless you're

Quote Originally Posted by Woof! View Post
    The Irony of this is that the bill won't pass and LSU is going to have egg on their face because of the well known connections that Steve Carter has with the Athletics Dept. So while the fear is real, the reality is that LSU will hurt the most from this circus.

Champ Woof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by KSDAWG View Post
    The Irony of this is that the bill won't pass and LSU is going to have egg on their face because of the well known connections that Steve Carter has with the Athletics Dept. So while the fear is real, the reality is that LSU will hurt the most from this circus.
    Also, don't forget that Steve Carter has an R by his name in his current job.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KSDAWG View Post
    "Never interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake."

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Nobody stated otherwise, but you keep bringing it up.

How's that Obamacare working out for you?

Champ DQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    This kind of nonsense only happens in the state of Louisiana. I'm telling ya......sometimes it's right up there with a 3rd world country.
    Very seldom measures up to a TWC, IMO.

Varsity Bulldog kfj is a jewel in the roughkfj is a jewel in the roughkfj is a jewel in the roughkfj is a jewel in the roughkfj is a jewel in the roughkfj is a jewel in the roughkfj is a jewel in the roughkfj is a jewel in the roughkfj is a jewel in the roughkfj is a jewel in the roughkfj is a jewel in the rough

If Representative Carter really wants to help the state, he would try to do things like fix the state constitution so the legislature would have more things to cut instead of just Higher Education and Healthcare, or maybe do things to generate more revenue, or, here's an idea, eliminate the House of Representatives and be a unicameral legislature - it works for Nebraska.

Instead he's just a tool for LSU boosters who think because they crap purple and gold, their shit don't stink.

Champ Woof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Nobody stated otherwise, but you keep bringing it up.

How's that Obamacare working out for you?
    Like you bringing up Obamacare on an unrelated link?

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Just shut up
    Good old Memorial Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    Just shut up
    Double standard when a Republican acts badly????

Champ Dowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond repute Dowty's Avatar

Yes there is. Republicans get punished for their crimes while Dems get to run for President.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

I couldn't care less which party this stupid dude belongs to. You are the one trying to make it about party politics, and you are muddying up the water on an issue that could be very important to us. Now shut up!
    Good old Memorial Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    I couldn't care less which party this stupid dude belongs to. You are the one trying to make it about party politics, and you are muddying up the water on an issue that could be very important to us. Now shut up!
    Okay.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikedog View Post
    In case anyone is interested, here's my note that I sent to Rep. Carter (with my address redacted so you crazies don't show up at my door one day):

Steve--

As a resident of Bocage/Jefferson Place (******) and a graduate of Louisiana Tech University (and LSU Law Center), I felt compelled to write you about my disappointment in House Bill No. 971.

As I understand the bill, House Bill 971 would require the Southern University System Board, the University of Louisiana System Board, and the Louisiana Community and Technical College Board to prohibit its institutions from traveling more than 375 miles from the institution to participate in athletic competitions for all sports other than football and basketball. Notably absent is any restriction on schools with the LSU System.

Undoubtedly, your bill would negatively impact the conference affiliations of Louisiana Tech, ULL, etc. by prohibiting them from playing conference opponents more than 375 miles away from their institutions. The long-term cost/impact of forcing these schools out of their conferences far outweighs any short-term gains to our state government's balance sheet. In short, our universities--and their athletic departments in particular--do not need to be micromanaged from the state Capitol. The Louisiana legislature has spent the last eight years exhibiting extreme incompetence in handling the budgetary matters under its direct control. Given this track record, I have very little faith that you and your colleagues would be successful in running our college athletic departments.

Lastly and most importantly:
    As a graduate of Louisiana Tech University, it is offensive to me for the Louisiana legislature to continue to write one set of rules for LSU, and another for the remaining state institutions. If our state budget woes actually require such draconian measures, then I expect LSU to have to suffer along with the other public institutions.

At the end of the day, HB 971 doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of becoming law. However, that still does not excuse your shortsightedness in proposing such a bad bill. I am both disappointed and embarrassed that this bill originated from my district.

Michael Leachman

WOW! That's a GREAT letter. Thanks for sending that. GREAT job!

Champ mikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond repute mikedog's Avatar

As an update, Rep. Carter did respond to my email yesterday and offered to speak with me next week re: my concerns with HB 971. Out of respect to him, I will not share his note. However, the overall gist was: 1) HB 971 is not perfect in its current form, but it is a conversation starter; 2) limiting the state dollars funding travel for athletics would provide the universities extra money for the education side (e.g., salaries for professors, etc.); and 3) there are other side benefits of having state universities play nearby, including greater attendance, more local sales tax dollars raised, etc.

These are all myths that we've heard before. Thanks to information provided by the Historian over the years, along with the great analytics performed by LaTechReport.com on HB 971, I was able to dispatch these theories pretty quickly. If someone cares to see my response, you can PM me and I'll share it with you. However, given that Rep. Carter is being respectful and responsive, I do not think it would be appropriate to publicly air the back-and-forth communications.

Michael

+ Reply to Thread