+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this the peak or are we still climbing?

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Is this the peak or are we still climbing?

Quote Originally Posted by dawgs1 View Post
    Two things about Boise.

1. They played in the WAC (a significantly better football conference than CUSA), were one of the two major universities in their state. A goegraphical area that cared much more about other sports than football.

2. The combination of their SOS from conference games, playing 1 major P5 & a FCS or two was eneough to get them noticed.

For us:

Our geography dictates that for us to get noticed we must play & consistently win most, if not all, of our conference games (weaker conference) and we must play P5 programs on a regular basis & win a fair amount of those games. This is why we cannot be compared to Boise. They do not live at the intersection of the SEC & Big 12. They play in a better football conference.
    I think we can emerge from CUSA. Houston made some noise from the AAC and CUSA is as good as the AAC in football every other year. I agree that they schedule better than us (that's mainly due to budget). My point has been that they schedule winnable games and try to win the games they schedule. Do you think Holtz plans to beat Texas Tech this year or is he only worried about contending in CUSA?
    Have you considered those Dogs?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    I think we can emerge from CUSA. Houston made some noise from the AAC and CUSA is as good as the AAC in football every other year. I agree that they schedule better than us (that's mainly due to budget). My point has been that they schedule winnable games and try to win the games they schedule. Do you think Holtz plans to beat Texas Tech this year or is he only worried about contending in CUSA?
    Boxer we are back in the "Tech does more with less" mode. Until we get our budget up...we are stuck. Houston's budget is nearly double our budget. While we might overcome market, we can't overcome lack of funds and not having enough "stuff".

I am so glad BVDV got us into C-USA before he moved on.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by ChipDog View Post
    I am with those who believe we should schedule more P5 teams. We beat Miss State in Ruston and we'll do it again in 2017. Even if we have to travel 2 or 3 time to them to get them to come to Ruston, it is worth it to try and get a P5 to Ruston as often as possible.
    And as soon as possible.

Champ Bearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    And as soon as possible.
    Speaking of scheduling P5 teams to visit us, we should schedule Baylor ASAP, they will be beatable very soon (like Arkansas in 2012)!

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

I believe any gains we can make in the future will be marginal unless we can climb out of this sucky conference. It's all about the funding, and we ain't got it. Witness the tremendous cut in conference t.v. revenue going forward.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Nothing screws up attendance like an AD on a power trip who does not understand the business of ticket sales. He also has no idea how to schedule football games outside of the SLC.

South Carolina State - Paying them what we paid Southern last year

4 C-USA games in Ruston, one of which was moved to a weekday and we can expect more time changes.

Great job by our AD!
    Seriously? We are paying South Carolina State what we paid Southern. Why would we do that?
    Good old Memorial Gym

Big Dog counselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of light

No one has mentioned our real problem with consistency: Keeping a winning head coach. As soon as we have two or three good years, our head coach will be gone. I don't see any real change in that scenario.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by counselingdawg View Post
    No one has mentioned our real problem with consistency: Keeping a winning head coach. As soon as we have two or three good years, our head coach will be gone. I don't see any real change in that scenario.
    Hello. It's all about conference affiliation and program revenue. If you want to keep good h.c.'s, you have to be able to pay 'em.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    Seriously? We are paying South Carolina State what we paid Southern. Why would we do that?
    They wanted more, but our AD jewed them down.

We are paying them $325K

We paid Southern about the same if you add in Tickets we gave them.

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    The Roger Carr catch was in Wichita Falls, TX. I was there and it was cold as hell.
    you are correct-- we beat, western K 34-0 next week in California-- first Tech game I remember watching on TV. Sportsdawgs mother and a few others crammed into my old clunker and we drove to game-- that's 43 yrs ago and I am going to call her and confirm I went... my memories seem to get jumbled these days....

Champ Russdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    They wanted more, but our AD jewed them down.
    Anybody besides DS65 and me remember when Tech English Dept Head HJ Sachs used to hear this and subsequently tell them about a purchase in which he had "GENTILED DOWN" the seller?

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post
    Anybody besides DS65 and me remember when Tech English Dept Head HJ Sachs used to hear this and subsequently tell them about a purchase in which he had "GENTILED DOWN" the seller?
    he changed my life! thought I had cheated on a Shakespeare test (King Lear) and called me out in front of class and -- when he decided I was the smartest student he ever taught he gave me a graduate assistantship. Visited him at hospital in Shreveport before he died ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsince65 View Post
    you are correct-- we beat, western K 34-0 next week in California-- first Tech game I remember watching on TV. Sportsdawgs mother and a few others crammed into my old clunker and we drove to game-- that's 43 yrs ago and I am going to call her and confirm I went... my memories seem to get jumbled these days....
    sportsdawgs mom and my friend Bob both remember going to 2 games in Witchita in 70s but both pretty sure we did not go in 1973-i remember the Catch so maybe on TV. Know we won the first ever national championship (football) championship in California after that -- I was watching on TV

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    Speaking of scheduling P5 teams to visit us, we should schedule Baylor ASAP, they will be beatable very soon (like Arkansas in 2012)!
    Yes schedule them for an additional 7 years to our already 3 years for a total of 10 in a row.
    And schedule them in WBB, MBB,WSB and baseball for 10 years running as well. That fire pit is about to flame and burn back to it's humble roots.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by nadB View Post
    I believe any gains we can make in the future will be marginal unless we can climb out of this sucky conference. It's all about the funding, and we ain't got it. Witness the tremendous cut in conference t.v. revenue going forward.
    The only way to climb out is to play our way out of it. Bottom line, we've got win games against P5 schools and consistently compete for conference championships. Part of it is money but the other part is MENTALITY imo......
    Have you considered those Dogs?

+ Reply to Thread