+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me analyze this regional....

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Help me analyze this regional....

Just looking at Fullerton's schedule results, it looks like they were good against conference foes. What other teams from that conference made the tournament? There doesn't seem much difference between their 1st game starter and their 2nd game starter (not that I've grinded it). Looks like occasionally their bats will get hot, but generally score @ 5 runs. I know they have all the history and stuff but I doubt any of that matters to our team's chances. I can see us winning this game, but it's mostly a hunch. We've shown an ability to win a variety of types of games and Cal State Fullerton seems to be more comfortable winning just a certain style.
    Have you considered those Dogs?

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

Re: Help me analyze this regional....

Casey Stengel described all you need to know -Good pitching will always stop good hitting, and vice versa.

We have great hitting and they have great pitching. We have been able to score in bunches against some good pitchers but we also had trouble against some pitchers. It's baseball, it could go either way.

Cal State Fullerton's history has no bearing on this game. Our history has no bearing on this game. That's good both ways.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoDo-Tech70 View Post
    Casey Stengel described all you need to know -Good pitching will always stop good hitting, and vice versa.

We have great hitting and they have great pitching. We have been able to score in bunches against some good pitchers but we also had trouble against some pitchers. It's baseball, it could go either way.

Cal State Fullerton's history has no bearing on this game. Our history has no bearing on this game. That's good both ways.
    Casey and Yogi...gotta love 'em!

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you say they have "great" pitching?

Big Dog TrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    #1 ERA in the country....

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBulldog1962 View Post
    #1 ERA in the country....
    Well, that's a good reason.

At any rate, most of their success came against conference foes. I know we have a better conference than them but how good is their conference?

Varsity Bulldog collinellis is a jewel in the roughcollinellis is a jewel in the roughcollinellis is a jewel in the roughcollinellis is a jewel in the roughcollinellis is a jewel in the roughcollinellis is a jewel in the roughcollinellis is a jewel in the roughcollinellis is a jewel in the roughcollinellis is a jewel in the roughcollinellis is a jewel in the roughcollinellis is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    They have the #1 Team ERA in the NCAA. But are #200 in .OBP (a stat I like to look at when evaluating offense). Looking at stats they are comparable to ULL as a team and the Sun Belt and Big West conferences have a RPI of 10 and 8, respectively. We can have success against their offense but will have to scrap at the plate, which is something we have done very well all season. I assume Diehl gets the nod. If he can have an average start, 2-3 run over 7 innings, we will have a great chance to win the game.

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

Titans - team ERA 2.21; team BA .266
    • their 4 primary starters ERA's range from 2.11 to 2.42
    • their 4 relievers with most appearances ERA's range from 0.69 to 1.13
    • they only have 2 everyday starters batting over .300
    Titans statistics - http://static.psbin.com/p/8/3ng5155n...rall_Stats.pdf

Bulldogs - team ERA 3.86; team BA .293

Bulldogs statistics - http://www.latechsports.com/sports/m....html#TEAM.MLB

Varsity Bulldog collinellis is a jewel in the roughcollinellis is a jewel in the roughcollinellis is a jewel in the roughcollinellis is a jewel in the roughcollinellis is a jewel in the roughcollinellis is a jewel in the roughcollinellis is a jewel in the roughcollinellis is a jewel in the roughcollinellis is a jewel in the roughcollinellis is a jewel in the roughcollinellis is a jewel in the rough

First team to 5 runs will WIN. We must get the first game to have a shot at winning regional. We don't have pitching depth to win after dropping game 1.

CS-Fullerton plays in the Big West. C-USA was the 5th rated conference. The Big West was 8th. In comparison, the Sun Belt was 10th and the Southland was 12th.

The Big West teams and RPI are as follows:
    Cal State Fullerton 42
    Long Beach State 52
    UC Santa Barbara 24
    Cal Poly 124
    UC Riverside 152
    Hawaii 176
    Cal State Northridge 142
    UC Irvine 120
    UC Davis 228

UC Santa Barbara had the highest RPI but finished 4 games back of Cal State Fullerton in the regular season. The Big West does not have a conference tournament. The regular season champion gets the auto bid.

CS-Fullerton plays in the Big West. C-USA was the 5th rated conference. The Big West was 8th. In comparison, the Sun Belt was 10th and the Southland was 12th.

The Big West teams and RPI are as follows:
    Cal State Fullerton 42
    Long Beach State 52
    UC Santa Barbara 24
    Cal Poly 124
    UC Riverside 152
    Hawaii 176
    Cal State Northridge 142
    UC Irvine 120
    UC Davis 228

UC Santa Barbara had the highest RPI but finished 4 games back of Cal State Fullerton in the regular season. The Big West does not have a conference tournament. The regular season champion gets the auto bid.
    Exactly! Fullerton achieved the ERA stats against some pretty scrawny conference competition. Other than them, there were only 2 good teams in the Big West.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by collinellis View Post
    First team to 5 runs will WIN. We must get the first game to have a shot at winning regional. We don't have pitching depth to win after dropping game 1.
    I agree totally. I don't see this being a high scoring game.

#1- We must throw strikes. We can't give a poor hitting team free base runners by walking them. Make them earn their way on.

#2- I think when the counts in our favor we'll have to do a good bit of hit and run or straight steals to create holes and get guys in scoring position. If we can get ahead early I really like our chances.

Champ BruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud of

If we compete on the mound I like our chances. Offensively we are peaking at the right time. Of course baseball is a strange game - sometimes you can hit it on the nose just not in the holes. Rice had the best era in the conference and we consistently scored on their staff - top to bottom. Hopefully we will continue to approach the plate with confidence.

Bulldog S'PortDawg is a jewel in the roughS'PortDawg is a jewel in the roughS'PortDawg is a jewel in the roughS'PortDawg is a jewel in the roughS'PortDawg is a jewel in the roughS'PortDawg is a jewel in the roughS'PortDawg is a jewel in the roughS'PortDawg is a jewel in the roughS'PortDawg is a jewel in the roughS'PortDawg is a jewel in the roughS'PortDawg is a jewel in the rough

One of the last series CS Fullerton played was to an underwhelming Hawaii team that finished the season 23-30. CS lost 2 of those 3 games. I think we jump out in front early and Tech can save their relievers for the next game. Our bats have been very hot the last few games and I don't think this game is going to be close.

It should be noted that Fullerton went 5-4 against the good teams in their conference.

+ Reply to Thread