+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Band Thread Worth Reading...

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

A Band Thread Worth Reading...

There have been a number of discussions over the years in which Tech fans have voiced their opinions about various elements of the band program. In an effort to address many of those concerns, a multifaceted initiative is being formalized with the following goals:

1. Identify immediate and future opportunities for the Band Program to expand its impact on the university student body experience, and to be a high-profile representative of the university to the general public;

2. Identify opportunities for the Band Program to build a reputation as a leader in offering an outstanding Division I band student experience;

3. Identify initiatives necessary to provide sufficient and sustainable funding for the operational needs of such a program.

These three goals make up the vision from which a strategic plan for the band program is being drafted. This is an alumni-initiated and alumni-driven project, and has progressed as a collaborative effort of the band staff, both band and non-band alumni, staff members within the Division of University Advancement, and the President’s office. Specific methods for achieving these three goals have already been outlined and will be made available at a later date. Some of these methods include the establishment of a formal Louisiana Tech University Band Chapter of the Alumni Association and various fundraising campaigns. The first fundraising campaign is being organized through the Division of University Advancement and will be the university’s first attempt at crowdfunding. We hope to see this first effort kicked off in less than 30 days. Major donations are already committed to this campaign which will lead to the band looking quite a bit different by the second game this Fall.

If any of you, particularly if you are a band alumnus, would like to express your interest in participating in the infrastructure development for this initiative, please send me a PM.

If any of you have questions…I may answer them depending on the question. If any of you have suggestions, they are welcomed.

Much more detail is on the way…

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Re: A Band Thread Worth Reading...

Awesomeness

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

Way to go, let us know how we can help!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

This one time, at band camp....

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THEarmada View Post
    Way to go, let us know how we can help!
    Thank you. You will be asked.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    This one time, at band camp....
    I saw what you did there..............no I mean I saw what you did at band camp .

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

it costs nothing to come up with something more clever than cardboard steering wheels and the "she ain't got no suitcase" chant. Why not start there?

Quote Originally Posted by Dixonfor6 View Post
    it costs nothing to come up with something more clever than cardboard steering wheels and the "she ain't got no suitcase" chant. Why not start there?
    Because the students and the band director have control over that. We are focused on what they have not got control over. Chants are not currently on my list. Opportunities are.

However, if you or anyone else would like to be creative and suggest some new stuff, it can be passed along as suggestions.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

I'm in, let's build up this program.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Yeah, I think I'm in, too. Not sure what I can do, but something is better than nothing.

Varsity Bulldog rlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmDawg View Post
    Because the students and the band director have control over that. We are focused on what they have not got control over. Chants are not currently on my list. Opportunities are.

However, if you or anyone else would like to be creative and suggest some new stuff, it can be passed along as suggestions.
    I think that the band and the other spirit groups are a critical part of the college athletic atmosphere. Is there any possibility of moving the band and hopefully the spirit groups under the athletic department, at least for potential funding and coordination?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rlmiddle View Post
    Is there any possibility of moving the band and hopefully the spirit groups under the athletic department, at least for potential funding and coordination?
    It has been discussed here. I don't remember all why nots, but the biggest ones are that our Athletic Department is already underfunded, under staffed, and under managed by its leader.

The described grass roots effort is a MUCH better way to improve the band and spirit group situation.

Thanks to RhythmDawg and his peeps for taking the initiative on this.

Varsity Bulldog rlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    It has been discussed here. I don't remember all why nots, but the biggest ones are that our Athletic Department is already underfunded, under staffed, and under managed by its leader.

The described grass roots effort is a MUCH better way to improve the band and spirit group situation.

Thanks to RhythmDawg and his peeps for taking the initiative on this.

I completely agree that the grass roots effort is the best way to improve the band and spirit group situation; but also moving the groups to the Athletic Department might also offer advantages, such as possibilities of support from LTAC and the Athletic Foundation.

I also want to Thank RhythmDawg and the other band alumni for stepping up and getting this much needed support initiated.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmiddle View Post
    I completely agree that the grass roots effort is the best way to improve the band and spirit group situation; but also moving the groups to the Athletic Department might also offer advantages, such as possibilities of support from LTAC and the Athletic Foundation.

I also want to Thank RhythmDawg and the other band alumni for stepping up and getting this much needed support initiated.
    the thanks is appreciated by those involved. Most of the thanks should be directed at Dr. Guice. The greatest expression of appreciation will be everyone's support and participation when the time comes...which will be very soon.

Regarding the athletic department...it is a good idea and has been a point of discussion. It is not something that is desired at this time, nor has any measurable net benefit been identified to justify it. Also, this effort has no intention whatsoever of supplanting any donations or budget appropriations for athletics or academics, nor should that appearance be created.

But those kinds of ideas are what we are looking for, and one of the reasons why I started this thread...so that everyone on here has an opportunity to lend their thoughts. My personal hope is that all of us, whether or not we were in the band program, will take some ownership of it. While I am in no way filling a leadership position with the program in any capacity, I am able to provide constructive feedback. Creativity and innovation are vital here. We don't want to do stuff because "that's the way we've always done it." We are finally seeing this culture change in our athletic programs and other areas. Our band program possesses the same type of opportunity.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Let us know when the crowd funding starts. I'll donate.

+ Reply to Thread