+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A Band Thread Worth Reading...

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: A Band Thread Worth Reading...

I'm just gald to see that the band is going to be BIGGER than ever.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    I just can't get past the black pants and shoes. Also, the red on the top of the shako is weird.

As I said before, I'll live with it. Mainly, because unlike other organizations at Tech, the BoP is still rocking the state-T, the ONLY symbol that should ever be associated with Tech. And because of how they were obtained. And I only have to look at and not wear it.
    there was some hesitancy with the black pants and black shoes...but they will mask some marching execution and will be much easier to keep clean and looking good. It also looks more...slimming. The black gives it a more professional look...maybe with a little edge. Also, the look is a more modern DCI inspired look and will be fantastic for recruiting.

I am always happy to explain the "why." This was chosen from among 10 options. It was not fully customizable for the price. I also am not fond of the red on the shako...I wanted to minimize the red as much as possible. It is why drums won't be red. To compensate for those we figured may not like the black...we rocked the original state T. You're welcome.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    there has been and will continue to be discussion about how big the band should consistently be every year. You can budget based on a per student membership. It is driven first and foremost by filling buses. A bus holds about 50-55 people. I'll be very interested in hearing your and others' thoughts on band size after you see it this fall. Big enough? Or should it be bigger? ...in increments of 50. At 235...plus instruments and other gear, that's 5 buses. One bus load is essentially $2000 a day.

Champ CutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to behold

Will they all actually get to ride on a bus and go to games, as in plural, more than one time a year? So If you're planning members per bus load, i just hope they get to go more. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter how many buses it would take if they can't afford to go anywhere as in the past. Maybe this new effort will fix that excuse/problem. Hope so anyway. Uniforms look good, but i will have to get used to the black. Been to many DCI events, so i know it should help recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by CutiePie72 View Post
    Will they all actually get to ride on a bus and go to games, as in plural, more than one time a year? So If you're planning members per bus load, i just hope they get to go more. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter how many buses it would take if they can't afford to go anywhere as in the past. Maybe this new effort will fix that excuse/problem. Hope so anyway. Uniforms look good, but i will have to get used to the black. Been to many DCI events, so i know it should help recruiting.
    Increasing visibility and travel opportunity is a priority. Travel costs to away games for the band is an athletic department expense. Adding an extra day of travel so the band can march at pregame at a high school and half time at another high school on the way, then coordinate with high schools in the area for a Saturday morning open rehearsal, clinic, and/or exhibition and having university admissions/recruiters along for the ride, then being available for tailgating events, is the idea. That extra day's expense would be on the band program and is not currently in the budget...but will be at some point.

There is also opportunity to get the band to highly visible non-athletic events...like the Macy's parade and Mardi Gras. Maybe a run out to Dallas...march through the center of the Texas state fair, play outside cowboys stadium, march halftime, and make an appearance at a university recruiting event, all in the same trip.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent!!

Champ FriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond repute FriscoDog's Avatar

I see what you did there...

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

twss

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDog View Post
    I see what you did there...
    Yep.....I had to include those vital words "the band"......LOL!

Champ CutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmDawg View Post
    Increasing visibility and travel opportunity is a priority. Travel costs to away games for the band is an athletic department expense. Adding an extra day of travel so the band can march at pregame at a high school and half time at another high school on the way, then coordinate with high schools in the area for a Saturday morning open rehearsal, clinic, and/or exhibition and having university admissions/recruiters along for the ride, then being available for tailgating events, is the idea. That extra day's expense would be on the band program and is not currently in the budget...but will be at some point.

There is also opportunity to get the band to highly visible non-athletic events...like the Macy's parade and Mardi Gras. Maybe a run out to Dallas...march through the center of the Texas state fair, play outside cowboys stadium, march halftime, and make an appearance at a university recruiting event, all in the same trip.
    Great! Sounds like a plan and a good one at that!

+ Reply to Thread