+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who'd a thunk...

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: Who'd a thunk...

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    That's a long list of perception. Making the NCAA MBB tournament is really all that matters, but baseball matters somewhat.
    You asked....I delivered. They don't all have to fit perfectly, but that's a very good list of what you asked for. The only one that's really iffy is TX A&M. The Aggies made the "baseball tournament" this year, but that's not a good measuring stick for them. Unless they are dunk, deaf, blind and on perscription drugs, it should be easy for the Aggies --and most P5's-- to get into the Tournament.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Yu asked....I delivered.
    No you didn't. You listed a bunch of schools that are not "gorilla football" schools or they have been recently (last five years) successful in MBB and/or baseball.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

No you didn't. You listed a bunch of schools that are not "gorilla football" schools or they have been recently (last five years) successful in MBB and/or baseball.
    You're full of crap. You just can't handle the truth.

Just take the first one. By any measure, Penn State would be considered a "gorilla" in football. (They beat us 62-7 last time we played 'em in football.) However their mens basketball team finished 16-16 this year, and their baseball team finished 28-27. These stats go right to the heart of what Woff was telling us.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woof! View Post
    There are plenty of schools that are an 800 lb gorilla in football, but lack being competitive in other sports.
    Which ones?
    He listed Grambling

You agreed with him on Auburn and Ray on Texas...Those schools don't qualify for "lack being competetive in other sports"

Not very many on your long list qualify, but a couple kind a do.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    You asked....I delivered. They don't all have to fit perfectly, but that's a very good list of what you asked for. The only one that's really iffy is TX A&M. The Aggies made the "baseball tournament" this year, but that's not a good measuring stick for them. Unless they are dunk, deaf, blind and on perscription drugs, it should be easy for the Aggies --and most P5's-- to get into the Tournament.
    Do you realize that Texas A&M won the SEC baseball tournament after finishing third in the regular season, has a 47-14 record and is the #4 national seed? I'd say that's a pretty good season. They've made 10 straight NCAA regionals, made the CWS in 2011 and made the Super Regionals last year. I don't think they qualify for your list.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    Do you realize that Texas A&M won the SEC baseball tournament after finishing third in the regular season, has a 47-14 record and is the #4 national seed? I'd say that's a pretty good season. They've made 10 straight NCAA regionals, made the CWS in 2011 and made the Super Regionals last year. I don't think they qualify for your list.
    Okay Professor, I acknowledged up front --in the initial post-- that it was iffy to include A&M. But I included them because they have not been winning CWS's (they have 5 appearances, but they've never won it), and their basketball program is not highly regarded. So thanks for you Captain Obvious observation. Feel free to remove 'em. That still leaves a pretty long list.

Champ Wade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond repute Wade_Antley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woof! View Post
    There are plenty of schools that are an 800 lb gorilla in football, but lack being competitive in other sports.
    Which ones?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladzilla View Post
    Auburn on the mensmen's side,Grambling,
    wrong as usual. Auburn is a horrible example.
    Maybe I am misinterpreting what a 800 lb gorilla is but I think Auburn is a great example. They won the BCS championship in 2010 and that makes them the 800 lb gorilla right? Their mens basketball team hasn't been in the NCAA tournament since 2003. Their baseball team was in the tournament last year but only made it 2 other times in the previous 10 years.

I would add UCLA. For some reason they come out of the gate highly ranked every year in football (and then tank) and they can't seem to get their basketball back on track from where it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade_Antley View Post
    Maybe I am misinterpreting what a 800 lb gorilla is but I think Auburn is a great example. They won the BCS championship in 2010 and that makes them the 800 lb gorilla right? Their mens basketball team hasn't been in the NCAA tournament since 2003. Their baseball team was in the tournament last year but only made it 2 other times in the previous 10 years. .
    So Auburn has not been competitive in other sports?

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Aub...dings-45444309

Champ Woof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to behold

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Aub...dings-45444309
    The link that you posted answers your question.

"The Tigers’ men’s teams, however, struggled mightily, finishing 13th in the 14-team league with 30 points."

Champ Wade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond repute Wade_Antley's Avatar

You said basketball and baseball.

Making the NCAA MBB tournament is really all that matters, but baseball matters somewhat.

That's what I said not what woof said.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Arkansas was on that list. But they were in the CWS just last year, and they are a perennial power in T&F.

In the bigger picture, yeah, there are lots of schools that really excel in just one sport, and are mediocre to lousy everywhere else. That includes many P5 schools who enjoy enormous financial advantages yet suck in many sports.

Louisville, on the other hand, has one of the best overall athletic departments. Several years ago, in one "school year" their FB team played in a BcS Bowl, both MBB and WBB reached the Final Four, and their baseball team played in the CWS. Now, that's what I call a pretty awesome year.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Arkansas was on that list. But they were in the CWS just last year, and they are a perennial power in T&F.

In the bigger picture, yeah, there are lots of schools that really excel in just one sport, and are mediocre to lousy everywhere else. That includes many P5 schools who enjoy enormous financial advantages yet suck in many sports.

Louisville, on the other hand, has one of the best overall athletic departments. Several years ago, in one "school year" their FB team played in a BcS Bowl, both MBB and WBB reached the Final Four, and their baseball team played in the CWS. Now, that's what I call a pretty awesome year.
    If I remember right, every single one of their sponsored sports (I think all 16) finished ranked in the Top 25.

Champ Dawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond repute Dawgonit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    ...that baseball would reach the national playoffs before MBB would, back 4 or 5 years ago? Be honest.
    I said this exact thing a few days ago in the thread for comments that don't deserve a thread.

But I guess I was wrong, it did deserve a thread.

+ Reply to Thread