+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball Season Far Exceeded My Expectations

Champ cscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Baseball Season Far Exceeded My Expectations

To get vendors for concessions, food trucks or local restaurants setting up tents for selling food.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

What Goff & Company accomplished this year (assuming we aren't just "one-hit wonders") is restore Tech baseball to our 1970s thru 1987 level. In 1986 we won two games in the regionals, in 2016....we won two games in the regionals. A couple of times, between 1978 and 1987, we were one win away from Omaha. Yes, the landscape has changed. Like other big time college sports baseball is about money and more schools are taking it seriously, and the NCAA has expanded the playoffs' field making it easier to get in. Oh, Dawg80, don't rain on our parade! I'm not. Just introducing a little reality and expressing a desire that we don't plateau here. Obviously, given how crappy we've been the past 10 years or so, or longer, getting back to 1987 levels was the necessary first step. Tech baseball is relevant again. Yay! I just hope we actually build on 2016 and continue to get better. I know WE CAN. It's a question of WILL WE? BTW, yesterday, I cancelled hotel reservations in Omaha. I was very disappointed in doing it too. I was just so sure this was gonna be our year. (had a premonition many months ago...) As Cubs' fans are used to say: wait til next year!

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    There was a time when I was fully invested in pro baseball and the Cubs. Knew the starting rotation & relief pitchers and their era. The regular line up & subs and their fielding and batting stats. Pretty much everything. Even took the kids to Wrigley Field because they were into it too. But as they grew up, and the Cubs slid into irrelevance, I got away from baseball.

This Tech baseball team and the coaches have gotten under my skin. I love the way they play the game. We're getting season tickets for next year even though there's not much way I can make games until late April/early May. The team and coaches deserve the support season tickets represent.

Have a ways to go to get fully up to speed but I will. And unlike pro ball, there's the recruiting aspect to keep up. And maybe how the boys do with their summer ball.

This team was special and earned an important place in the history of LA Tech baseball history. Can't wait to see what the Bulldogs do next year!
    Great post. I'm strongly considering buying a couple of season tickets for next season even though I haven't personally attended a Tech baseball game in decades, and I live 260 miles away. I just WANT to.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    I assume he means the positioning of it.

The right of way issues involving the RR track are certainly important to anything we try to do in the RF area. Sometimes its better to beg forgiveness than ask for permission.

Not sure we could have moved the scoreboard back farther which is where it needs to be.

Re: Left field...I like the existing apartment patio area and think it could be a great gathering spot.
    Do we have a "Tiki Hut" at JC Love the way MSU did? The TV folks made a big deal out of that.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Do we have a "Tiki Hut" at JC Love the way MSU did? The TV folks made a big deal out of that.
    Not yet. They were having fun out there, but it looked like Talladega.

Goff will get the right people behind him on raising funds and setting up the park the way he wants.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Great post. I'm strongly considering buying a couple of season tickets for next season even though I haven't personally attended a Tech baseball game in decades, and I live 260 miles away. I just WANT to.
    Your Dad would enjoy it...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Goff will get the right people behind him on raising funds and setting up the park the way he wants.
    Yes it did! I think "embrace the tacky" may have been their approach, but MSU folks have said change is afoot. They'll likely still have the rentable sites in the outfield, but a different look in the future.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

I thought it looked like a trailer park in Truxno, but it was a FUN place. Wish we had that vibe

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Your Dad would enjoy it...
    I agree.

Big Dog TrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant future

It was an unbelievable atmosphere out there. Some of their fans showed me around, and it was truly awesome. There is no chance on God's green earth that we could create something even remotely similar. They have a text line that goes out to fans with GF names/mom names and everything else under the sun about each outfielder of the opposing team.

Champ Woof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Yes it did! I think "embrace the tacky" may have been their approach, but MSU folks have said change is afoot. They'll likely still have the rentable sites in the outfield, but a different look in the future.
    Yeah, a $55 million change.

Champ Built4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond repute Built4Speed's Avatar

Wow. There are Triple-A teams that don't have stadiums that nice.

Varsity Bulldog BulldawgMom is a glorious beacon of lightBulldawgMom is a glorious beacon of lightBulldawgMom is a glorious beacon of lightBulldawgMom is a glorious beacon of lightBulldawgMom is a glorious beacon of lightBulldawgMom is a glorious beacon of lightBulldawgMom is a glorious beacon of lightBulldawgMom is a glorious beacon of lightBulldawgMom is a glorious beacon of lightBulldawgMom is a glorious beacon of lightBulldawgMom is a glorious beacon of light

The Left Field Lounge wasn't created. It was one of those traditions that evolved over time, and it does indeed look a LOT like Talledega or a trashy trailer park. Here's how it got its start:

The Left Field Lounge started out in the 1960s with just fans driving cars and trucks into the area to watch a game. In the late 1960s, fans started bringing grills, tables, and ice chests full of drinks for a full tailgate party experience. At that time, fans would drive in before the game to set up their tailgates, and then take it all down after the game and drive back out. As the area became more popular, a line would form to get in before the game, the area would fill up, and some would be turned away. In the early 1970s one truck driven to the Left Field Lounge would not start and was unable to leave after the game was over, so the owners just left the truck there. For the next game, the truck was still there, creating an automatic reserved spot. Other fans took advantage of this and brought in trucks and grills intending to leave them there. Some trucks that were no longer drivable were towed into a spot. To allow more fans to share a space, home-built seats and bleachers were built onto the beds of the trucks. Later, motor homes and flat bed trailers were brought in with more elaborate and sturdy bleachers. Eventually the university established rules for the cherished spots in Left Field Lounge. Spaces are rented for the season, and after all of the spaces are filled, those not receiving a space are placed on a waiting list. The trucks/trailers/motor homes must be on wheels, brought in by a certain day before the season starts, and removed after the season ends. (John Grisham: Inside Dudy Noble)

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Before the crowd arrived:

MSU Outfield 2.jpg

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBulldog1962 View Post
    They have a text line that goes out to fans with GF names/mom names and everything else under the sun about each outfielder of the opposing team.
    That's funny!

My wife mentioned to me the other day that she had noticed the opposing players visiting with each other on the bases and such. She asked what they talk about. I told her some of them actually know each other and chit chat, but they also talk about each others girlfriends, mommas, etc..

+ Reply to Thread