+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebel Oakes - Tech's First Professional Athlete

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Baseball Rebel Oakes - Tech's First Professional Athlete

RO 2.jpg

I know we have discussed Rebel Oakes on here several times -

I thought some of y'all may enjoy these pics and mini bio my Claiborne Parish Librarian gave me that was part of an exhibit that the library just hosted
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar

Re: Rebel Oaks - Tech's First Professional Athlete

Part I - a.jpg

Part I of the bio

Part II - a.jpg

Part II of the bio

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

$4600 a year was big bucks in the early 1900's.
    Good old Memorial Gym

With the Cardinals

RO Cardinals 2.jpg

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

No stinkin' flat bills back in those days.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Thanks for posting this. I'm a big history buff, so I love this kind of stuff. This guy was certainly an interesting character.

Just an FYI....where Rebel Oakes was born might be at the bottom of Lake Claiborne now.

The "Denver Bears", huh? Kinda has a nice ring to it.

Big Dog TechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the rough

Gotta Luv a guy named Rebel Oaks. He played in the days, when real men played baseball-for the love of the game. Slide into bases with spikes up.

Champ DJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TechFanno1 View Post
    Slide into bases with spikes up.
    This reminded me of Ty Cobb and the man that most think he was but was not.

I subscribe to the newsletter Imprimis from Hillsdale College. One newsletter was about Ty Cobb and the man he truly was.

https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/who-was-ty-cobb-the-history-we-know-thats-wrong/

Champ CutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to behold

Any relation to Jim? Distant uncle or cousin as it said Rebel had no children himself?

Big Dog TechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by DJDAWG View Post
    This reminded me of Ty Cobb and the man that most think he was but was not.

I subscribe to the newsletter Imprimis from Hillsdale College. One newsletter was about Ty Cobb and the man he truly was.

https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/who-was-ty-cobb-the-history-we-know-thats-wrong/

Dittos on Hillsdale College and Ty Cobb. Notice how Rebel held bat like Ty. They were about using a bat to place baseballs in play and baserunning. Power entered the game with The Babe.

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

That's the most complete bio I've seen, thanks for sharing. I have a 1909 T-206 Rebel Oakes card, from the same set as the Honus Wagner card that sold for about 3 million. Rebel's card was considerably cheaper!

I couldn't figure out how to attach a pic of my actual card, but here's what it looks like

Champ DJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

That's a nice treasure to have!

+ Reply to Thread