+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Relocation!

Champ Built4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond repute Built4Speed's Avatar

Relocation!

Calling all Little Rock Dawgs!

Got the news this weekend that my fiancée has been accepted to the medical laboratory science school at UA Medical Center in Little Rock. She starts in August, so we're relocating to Little Rock, or at least the general area, within the next 4-6 weeks if all goes according to plan. Starting my job search this week and I'll be moving when I find employment, even if a little before or after she has to report for classes.

Any tips/tricks, do's/don'ts for living in or around the Little Rock area? I'm not terribly familiar with the city, but I do have family in HSV, Benton, and Alexander, so I'm in the region a few times a year to see them.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: Relocation!

Gusano's and the Flying Fish are the best Little Rock tips I have. It's a great town. Enjoy!
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

I think I would check out Maumelle if I were moving to that area.
    Good old Memorial Gym

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Do they still write lots of tickets for jaywalking in L. Rock ??

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    I think I would check out Maumelle if I were moving to that area.
    That seems to have been the hot spot for several years now.

I'm partial to NLR/Sherwood, but I'm biased because I grew up there. If I had to evaluate the best place to send my kids to school and other factors, without a history and connections and family ties I honestly don't know if I'd feel that way (but I might - there are some great neighborhoods in Sherwood and NLR).

Past recommending restaurants, it's hard to advise on this without knowing someone pretty well. Stage of life makes a huge difference (of course) and your interests would change my answer, too. If you like the urban nightlife, there are condos and apartments near the Rivermarket, if you want exurbs and country living that's another story (Cabot used to be the go-to exurb, but you could probably find this in almost any direction), Maumelle is (or was recently) the hot growth suburban area, Benton/Bryant/Sherwood/NLR are the older suburbs that probably all had their moments of being the Maumelle of their day (NLR probably an exception to that in many ways). Heck, you might even find someone willing to say something good about Jacksonville or Gravel Ridge (don't hold your breath).

Cost is another obvious factor. It's hard to imagine who wouldn't want to live in the better parts of West Little Rock, but you gotta be able to pay for it.

Hopefully, you'll get Champ967 to weigh in.

Champ Built4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond repute Built4Speed's Avatar

All good tips, thanks guys!

A bit about us: I'm 32, she's 29, no kids and no plans on them anytime soon. We'll be renting since there's no guarantee we'll stay in LR after she finishes clinicals. We like to be close to conveniences and work (if possible- she has a 45 minute commute right now which I'm sure she'd love to avoid in the future), but in a relatively decent-to-nice part of town. We liked living in the garden district in Monroe, if that helps. Close to stuff, but still fairly quiet around where we lived.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Built4Speed View Post

A bit about us: I'm 32, she's 29, no kids and no plans on them anytime soon. We'll be renting since there's no guarantee we'll stay in LR after she finishes clinicals. We like to be close to conveniences and work (if possible- she has a 45 minute commute right now which I'm sure she'd love to avoid in the future), but in a relatively decent-to-nice part of town. We liked living in the garden district in Monroe, if that helps. Close to stuff, but still fairly quiet around where we lived.
    OK, good info. Hopefully Champ967 will chime in. He may not have seen this yet. My main advice would be to do your homework on safe neighborhoods.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

He may not have seen this yet. .
    twss

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Built4Speed View Post

If schools are not a concern, and you like to be in the middle of things ...

Quapaw Quarter / SOMA (South Main) / MacArthur Park neighborhoods are located downtown around the Govs Mansion. Walkable / short drive to most of the local brewpubs, hip restaurants, museums, historic & cultural sites, etc.

Prices are lower in the adjacent Central High neighborhood ... it's beginning to turn around, but still has a way to go. Hanger Hill nhood is in roughly the same category.

Hillcrest has been LR's trendy / borderline affluent place to be for 100 years. It's right next to UAMS, but it's pricey.

Capitol View / Stifft Station is also right next to UAMS but housing is somewhat cheaper.

Argenta (downtown NLR) is also in the middle of things. It's a small neighborhood that grown hip / trendy over the last 10 years or so.

(I don't know much about WLR or Maumelle. If I wanted to live in a soulless, cultureless wasteland, I'd probably just move to Dallas.)

[QUOTE=Champ967;1594704]If schools are not a concern, and you like to be in the middle of things ...

Quapaw Quarter / SOMA (South Main) / MacArthur Park neighborhoods are located downtown around the Govs Mansion. Walkable / short drive to most of the local brewpubs, hip restaurants, museums, historic & cultural sites, etc.

Prices are lower in the adjacent Central High neighborhood ... it's beginning to turn around, but still has a way to go. Hanger Hill nhood is in roughly the same category.

Hillcrest has been LR's trendy / borderline affluent place to be for 100 years. It's right next to UAMS, but it's pricey.

Capitol View / Stifft Station is also right next to UAMS but housing is somewhat cheaper.

Argenta (downtown NLR) is also in the middle of things. It's a small neighborhood that grown hip / trendy over the last 10 years or so.

(I don't know much about WLR or Maumelle. If I wanted to live in a soulless, cultureless wasteland, I'd probably just move to Dallas.)[/QUOTE]

Ha! I knew I could depend on you. If I wanted to live in downtown Little Rock, I'd probably just move to Baghdad.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Ha! I knew I could depend on you. If I wanted to live in downtown Little Rock, I'd probably just move to Baghdad.
    Or Memphis, for that matter ...

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Or Memphis, for that matter ...
    The game of the week on Nextdoor has been "Fireworks or Gunshots?". Memphis peeps like to get an early start on celebrating the 4th.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    The game of the week on Nextdoor has been "Fireworks or Gunshots?". Memphis peeps like to get an early start on celebrating the 4th.
    Classic Clyde!

+ Reply to Thread