+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which G5 has the best chance at NY6 Bowl?

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Which G5 has the best chance at NY6 Bowl?

It's a hard call. I'm sure Houston has to be the favorite going in. But they play OU first game and Louisville midseason. Both of those games are at HOME though. I would imagine playing at Navy will be a challenge if they survive the others.

Temple is an interesting pick because they don't play anybody good. Penn State is their only regular season notable opponent. They don't even play Houston.

Northern Illinois has the best chance of going undefeated but they play NOBODY. No kidding.

Boise hosts Wash State and plays at Oregon State. They also get BYU at home. I would rank them as the second most probable.

Marshall has a workable schedule. They host Louisville and travel to Pitt. I would imagine playing at Southern Miss might be difficult. They are my number 3.

BYU simply cannot win enough games with their schedule. It is BRUTAL.

Southern Miss plays at LSU. ouch

LaTech and WKU are possibilities I suppose. But both of them have their biggest question marks at the most important positions. Both Texas Tech and Arkansas are known to lay eggs. WKU has to play at Bama. (a loss won't knock them out but would have to win the rest of their games)
    Have you considered those Dogs?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Which G5 has the best chance at BCS?

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    It's a hard call. I'm sure Houston has to be the favorite going in. But they play OU first game and Louisville midseason. Both of those games are at HOME though. I would imagine playing at Navy will be a challenge if they survive the others.

Temple is an interesting pick because they don't play anybody good. Penn State is their only regular season notable opponent. They don't even play Houston.

Northern Illinois has the best chance of going undefeated but they play NOBODY. No kidding.

Boise hosts Wash State and plays at Oregon State. They also get BYU at home. I would rank them as the second most probable.

Marshall has a workable schedule. They host Louisville and travel to Pitt. I would imagine playing at Southern Miss might be difficult. They are my number 3.

Southern Miss plays at LSU. ouch

LaTech and WKU are possibilities I suppose. But both of them have their biggest question marks at the most important positions. Both Texas Tech and Arkansas are known to lay eggs. WKU has to play at Bama. (a loss won't knock them out but would have to win the rest of their games)

I'm sure you've just forgotten, but the BCS is no more. The highest ranked G5 team (last year it was Houston) gets to play for something much less than what Boise crashed and what we had a shot at in 2012.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Houston is definitely the favorite. It appears to be a wide open race this year after them though.

Regarding our chances... Opening opponent Arkansas is the best team on our schedule this year. If we can somehow overcome the 21-point underdog status for a win then anything is possible. Glad we picked up two very physical run-stopper LBs to help.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    I'm sure you've just forgotten, but the BCS is no more. The highest ranked G5 team (last year it was Houston) gets to play for something much less than what Boise crashed and what we had a shot at in 2012.
    Yeah, I should've have said it differently.

Houston was catapulted by what they accomplished last year though. Didn't they lose to Navy in the AAC championship game? Had that not happened, they could've possibly made the 4 team playoff.

The only reason I even mentioned LaTech in the discussion is because of what we did at Miss State without either Dixon or Henderson (a game we basically conceded imo). We will have a better OL. Our DL is underrated. Our LB's should be as good or better. DB's could be interesting. Higgins has been rightly criticized but he had next to nothing in terms of WR and OL (compared to this season). Dixon was prolific, maybe the best RB in LaTech history. But Craft and Scott aren't scrubs. Is this the best WR corps in LaTech history? I think a case can be made because we have a variety of very good players who excel at different things. Higgins is tough and has shown some wheels. It will be interesting to see what he does early. Like I've said before, I didn't see much of a difference between him and Sokol going into 2014. Hopefully, he learned from watching Driskel and Sokol.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

No, Houston did not lose to Navy and they won the AAC Championship game and got a P5 bowl bid (Peach Bowl or whatever they call it now) where they beat Florida State.. They had that unexpected loss at UConn when their QB was hurt. I don't think they would have made the play off even if they had beaten UConn. If they go undefeated this year they probably won't make it either because they're playing Lamar and Texas State as two of the OOC games. They open with OK.

I therefore think that no G5 school has a realistic chance of making the playoff. One could get a New Years Day game, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    No, Houston did not lose to Navy and they won the AAC Championship game and got a P5 bowl bid (Peach Bowl or whatever they call it now) where they beat Florida State.. They had that unexpected loss at UConn when their QB was hurt. I don't think they would have made the play off even if they had beaten UConn. If they go undefeated this year they probably won't make it either because they're playing Lamar and Texas State as two of the OOC games. They open with OK.

I therefore think that no G5 school has a realistic chance of making the playoff. One could get a New Years Day game, though.
    Thanks. I knew they struggled to win a couple of conference games and lost one of them. I do think Houston has a realistic chance this season though because they have a high preseason ranking and an opportunity to host OU in their first game.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely no shot for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    Absolutely no shot for anyone.
    The preseason #8 ranking for Houston with the first game coming against #5 at least gives them a shot. I always think an undefeated Boise State would be considered. No?

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

No.

Puppy TheRustonRustler Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeTheRustonRustler Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeTheRustonRustler Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeTheRustonRustler Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeTheRustonRustler Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeTheRustonRustler Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeTheRustonRustler Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeTheRustonRustler Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeTheRustonRustler Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

I'm pretty sure the top G5 team automatically gets a spot in an NY6 Bowl game as long as every single team in G5 isn't complete garbage. The team that will rep the G5 New Years Day will most likely be Houston (only loss to OU) or Boise St (only loss to some random Mountain West team since that happens every year). A very Very slim chance an undefeated Houston team makes it into the CFP, but itsa long shot (it would be great though).

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    BYU isn't a member of the "Group of Five conferences" because BYU is an independent. Thus, BYU isn't eligible to be the highest ranked G5 conference champ to get the automatic G5 conference NY6 bowl bid.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustonRustler View Post
    I'm pretty sure the top G5 team automatically gets a spot in an NY6 Bowl game
    This year I'm pretty sure the G5 rep will be in the Cotton.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

It was a different system, but two "BCS Busters" finished in the Top 4 of the BCS rankings: TCU (MWC) in 2009 and TCU (MWC) again in 2010. (And Tech came up 1 TD short of beating TCU in the 2011 Poinsettia Bowl.)

+ Reply to Thread